Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #6180
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Not in the 14s...yet..." 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
740 turbo brickMay-26-10 11:19 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6180, "Not in the 14s...yet..."
May-26-10 11:31 PM by 740 turbo brick

Went to the track tonight. Kind of a bittersweet night. First, Im pretty happy with my car, its definately got some power to it. But Im a little disappointed I didnt even hit 14.9. Heres a vid of one run...

Thats a buddy of mine driving the Honda. It has a B16A2, DOHC VTEC, street tuned on Hondata. He ran a 15.45@91mph. On to my slip..

Ready for my ricer excuses? lol.

86 degrees out today. Intake temps around 130F after heat soak.
Sticking brake caliper.
Fully loaded GS. Only removed spare tire and tools, still a tank.
Needed a few more runs to experiment with launching, shifting points.
Most impact: NO traction.
First gear spun off the line until about 40 MPH. I had a decent 60', but I think if I were to hook right off the line I would drop my time way down.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
420agreenvilleSCMay-26-10 11:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6181, "RE: Not in the 14s...yet..."
In response to Reply # 0

you have an LSD?

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

740 turbo brickMay-26-10 11:59 PM
831 posts,
#6182, "RE: Not in the 14s...yet..."
In response to Reply # 1

Nope. The tranny, block, pretty much everything except the clutch and head are stock and have 170,700 miles on them.

I just checked my datalog from a run... My injectors are at 106% duty cycle...hmm...

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

PsychOMay-27-10 02:03 AM
Member since Jun 10th 2004
166 posts,
#6183, "RE: Not in the 14s...yet..."
In response to Reply # 2

Hey, that's not bad at all. Weren't you in the 16's before? I think a long tube header would be a nice addition.

cougar694uMay-27-10 07:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3381 posts,
#6184, "RE: Not in the 14s...yet..."
In response to Reply # 3
May-27-10 08:58 AM by cougar694u

Seat time will def improve your times. There's some room to be gained in the 60', imo. What helped me most was not launching quite as hard to get the tires to stick. If I had excessive wheel spin, it tacked on at least .25 to my time, sometimes more. Of course, I speed shifted, almost trying to break something (I'm like that now in my mustang, but at least the shifter has stops).

I didn't really strip much out of my car either, though. The typical spare tire & jack, etc, and the hatch didn't have the wiper motor in it when I bought it.

I'm sure you're making more power than mine did, just get as much tree time as you can, the car's only as fast as the driver.

Other than that, good job!

**EDIT**
Actually, after looking over your time-slip, it seems like your car's not putting the power down in the big end.

I haven't been around much in the last few years (moving, work, marriage, kids, etc), so I don't know what all you've played with for tuning, but have you played with cam timing at all?

~Luke
Facebook
1969 Cougar - 11.91 - 380HP
2007 GSXR 750
1999 OZ - SOLD - 15.26 NA - 14.71 on 75 shot

FotowntalonMay-27-10 10:47 AM
Member since Aug 09th 2009
350 posts,
#6185, "RE: Not in the 14s...yet..."
In response to Reply # 0
May-27-10 10:50 AM by Fotowntalon

Comparing my time slip to yours they look about the same (which I guess I should expect sense I was only about 1/10th quicker) But from how it sounds, you need practice launching, which I am guessing you already know, while your 60' wasn't bad it can always be better. Are you pre-loading your drive-train(e-brake on and clutch slightly out)? What rpms are you launching at? I know when I wasn't pre-loading the drive-train I had to launch around 2.25-2.5k rpms to get that little bit of squeal and then catch.

Also at the track weight makes a huge difference. This year I plan on even siphoning out my windshield wiper fluid and removing the passenger seat. But if it makes you feel better for my run I had the backseats removed and only a 1/4 of a tank of gas (which was still more than I wanted). Also I believe you said you are running stock tires. I'm not sure if you did anything to them, but all my research says that our stock tires (and most street) tires preform better if you DON'T do a burn out and if you keep them inflated correctly. Everyone is normally all over deflating the tires, but this is for certain street tires and drag radials. So hope that helps some.

Lastly, don't give up, I don't know if you saw all my time-slips last year but my first one I ran a 16.891 and just through practice of launching and shifting did i get it down. I don't know how far away your track is, but if its far, I'd go out into the country with no one around and practice launching, just from 0to40-60mph. It will improve your launches and still be rather safe sense you are not speeding, but still stay safe and don't give up!

*Edit*
Forgot to mention, not sure what your rev limiter is with MS, but I was shifting at about 7300 for that little extra oomph, that might help you as well, best way to determine this would be to look at your dyno and see when your power band starts to fall off

97 Talon ESi 14.943@91.35MPH N/A!
"If you need someone to provide an itemized build of materials and a flowchart to walk you through every build-related question you will need to answer at each step of the process, you shouldn't be playing with cars. "-Driggs

740 turbo brickMay-27-10 11:59 AM
831 posts,
#6186, "RE: Not in the 14s...yet..."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Fotowntalon
Comparing my time slip to yours they look about the same (which I guess I should expect sense I was only about 1/10th quicker) But from how it sounds, you need practice launching, which I am guessing you already know, while your 60' wasn't bad it can always be better. Are you pre-loading your drive-train(e-brake on and clutch slightly out)? What rpms are you launching at? I know when I wasn't pre-loading the drive-train I had to launch around 2.25-2.5k rpms to get that little bit of squeal and then catch. Also at the track weight makes a huge difference. This year I plan on even siphoning out my windshield wiper fluid and removing the passenger seat. But if it makes you feel better for my run I had the backseats removed and only a 1/4 of a tank of gas (which was still more than I wanted). Also I believe you said you are running stock tires. I'm not sure if you did anything to them, but all my research says that our stock tires (and most street) tires preform better if you DON'T do a burn out and if you keep them inflated correctly. Everyone is normally all over deflating the tires, but this is for certain street tires and drag radials. So hope that helps some. Lastly, don't give up, I don't know if you saw all my time-slips last year but my first one I ran a 16.891 and just through practice of launching and shifting did i get it down. I don't know how far away your track is, but if its far, I'd go out into the country with no one around and practice launching, just from 0to40-60mph. It will improve your launches and still be rather safe sense you are not speeding, but still stay safe and don't give up! *Edit* Forgot to mention, not sure what your rev limiter is with MS, but I was shifting at about 7300 for that little extra oomph, that might help you as well, best way to determine this would be to look at your dyno and see when your power band starts to fall off

I used to preload my suspension the way you said, but I felt like I got better 60 times just launching normal, like 4k. I have 16" GST wheels on my car, but I have a set of 14" RS wheels to use at the track. Last year, 20 PSI with a burnout in the box would hook up with almost no spin. This year, all first gear did was spin. I only got 3 runs though, so I didnt have much time to experiment. I took out my 200lb sub box and spare tire/jack, some other junk in my car. Felt more free, but still really heavy. As for my limiter, I have it set about 7500, but in first my datalog shows max RPM as 7700. My 3 runs went 15.7, 15.6, 15.5. The first run I tried speed shifting and SLAMMED into the limiter in 2nd, scrubbing off all my momentum. I cant remember if I speed shifted my 15.5 run. Next time I go to the track Im going to try launching like 2.5k RPM, speed shifting around 7300.

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

740 turbo brickMay-27-10 01:27 PM
831 posts,
#6187, "RE: Not in the 14s...yet..."
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by cougar694u
**EDIT** Actually, after looking over your time-slip, it seems like your car's not putting the power down in the big end. I haven't been around much in the last few years (moving, work, marriage, kids, etc), so I don't know what all you've played with for tuning, but have you played with cam timing at all?

No, the cam gears are stock. For the most part, I wanted to see what I could do with the Crowers zero'd out. I think I see a set of Fidanza gears in my future though..

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

cougar694uMay-27-10 02:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3381 posts,
#6188, "RE: Not in the 14s...yet..."
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
I think I see a set of Fidanza gears in my future though..

I would. Being able to retard both cams 2* could help, I know it did for me.

~Luke
Facebook
1969 Cougar - 11.91 - 380HP
2007 GSXR 750
1999 OZ - SOLD - 15.26 NA - 14.71 on 75 shot

420agreenvilleSCMay-27-10 03:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#6189, "RE: Not in the 14s...yet..."
In response to Reply # 6

once you start moving passed the stock parts you have to aftermarket, like cam gears, lsd, etc., you'll be approaching bullett power.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

ModeratorbullettdsmMay-28-10 03:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#6190, "RE: Not in the 14s...yet..."
In response to Reply # 9
May-28-10 03:46 PM by bullettdsm

... My injectors are at 106% duty cycle...hmm...

I find this interesting. You should not be even close to 100%. Hell you should be at most near 80. This may an indicator of injector problems. I just don't like that........

but I have a set of 14" RS wheels to use at the track.

Get rid of those things they're killing you, blah.

Originally posted by cougar694u
Being able to retard both cams 2* could help, I know it did for me.

Agreed. Seems to be the sweet spot.

Looks like she's doing OK, You'd be surprised to what dropping down to 2.0 launches will do for your 1/4. I strongly dislike your trap speed. Should be a minimun of 5mph higher. I wonder what going on there with the duty cycle and the trap?

You didn't have much time to work on shift points, so its hard to talk about those. Of course speed shifting will gain you tenths over not speed shifting (but I know you are already doing that).

And, yes, you need to go on a diet (not you your car. You go on a diet and you'll fuckin disappear). Weight is a killer at the track.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #6180 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic