Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #398
View in threaded mode

Subject: "SCCA" Previous topic | Next topic
bigbrent88Jan-26-02 05:54 PM
Member since Jan 13th 2002
692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#398, "SCCA"

Who has raced or is racing in the SCCA? I'm thinking of making driving a professional career and want to know if that is a good move.
Thanks ahead of time

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
HadesOmegaJan-28-02 09:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#399, "RE: SCCA"
In response to Reply # 0

well I have raced in Solo2 class since last year. Haha I suck I get beaten badly, I need better tires but it's all good I learned a lot about my driving and my car. Good thing about autox is that you find problems when your racing and the next time you can correct them. Like one autox I found out that my intercooler piping popped out after each lap so I tightened them more and reposition it a litte. Found out I need a catch can, etc... autox is about learning and having fun. Bwhaha fun runs are the best drift o rama!

Get ready to spend some major money dude if you want to become a racer unless you get sponsored or something. My cousin just rolled his AE86 over at thunderhill he totalled the car, now he's looking for a junk one to replace the beautiful one he had. Track fees, tires, gas, maintenance, etc.... that's gonna dig into your pockets.

here's a movie of one of my fun runs ^_^
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/pcb9135bc72e1545bdc1d34730b17a14c/fe1a7552.mpg

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

bigbrent88Jan-31-02 07:55 AM
692 posts,
#400, "RE: SCCA"
In response to Reply # 1

Just checked out your video, it looks like fun. I was thinking of doing SoloII and KARTING, and deciding after about a year if I wanted to go the soloI and club racing route, or start with KARTS.

HadesOmegaJan-31-02 07:45 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#401, "RE: SCCA"
In response to Reply # 2

Yup it's loads of fun, you learn a lot about racing. You see how other people drive, you'd be surprised how fast a car is when the driver is good.

First thing to do is visit SCCA.org and get some info. Find out what region your in and go to your regions website.

Print out a registration form and send in the whooping 25 dollar fee. This membership gets you a subscription to Sports Car magazine (not sprot compact haha like I originally thought), it gets you into scca track events, it also allows you to be a volunteer for race crews. Worth every penny.

You'll need a good racing helmet as well if you don't have one yet you should get a SA2000 rated helmet (yeah it's really expensive) so you can use it at a race track as well, those go for about 150 at the cheapest.

You should find out what class your car is depending on the mods you have. I should be running ESP or Street Touring, ESP is with the big cars like RX7s and stangs.

Try to make a car number or buy magnetic numbers for your car. I just print mine off of the computer (hehe 420) and use tape to stick it onto the car hehe.

Find out when the next autox event will be I'm guessing Solo2 correct?

Then get help from the peeps there on what you should do. MOst of all have fun.

Autox consists of, tech, working, and racing. Yes you have to work if no 1 worked this autox thingie wouldn't work. I just pick up cones working on the course is the best view of the racing too ^_^

I'm glad to see there are some people here that are interested in expanding their driving techiniques here.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

bigbrent88Feb-01-02 12:38 PM
692 posts,
#402, "RE: SCCA"
In response to Reply # 3

Is it hard to see where the track is going considering it is marked by cones? It seems like this would make it hard.

HadesOmegaFeb-02-02 05:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#403, "RE: SCCA"
In response to Reply # 4

not really they teach you how to read cones. The confusing one is the slalom. What it is is a cone you have to go around and them a pointer cone (which is a basically a cone on its side) pointing the direction of what direction to pass the cone. It's not hard to see the course at all, but on my first autox I totally skipped the first slalom cuz I forgot and got a DNF (DNF=did not follow course, disqualified). If your new they'll help you out and tell you what to do, I suggest when you first start working you go with a group of experienced individuals because people have been hit on course because they didn't know what they were doing.

Plus before each autox they let you walk the course like 1 or 2 times so you can memorize the course because once you race that's it, and it's a different course everytime.

Wahaha the ESP class has Talon TSi AWDs in it, time so see if I can whoop some AWD ass! bwahahaha

Who sez FF can't drift?

bigbrent88Feb-03-02 05:04 PM
692 posts,
#404, "RE: SCCA"
In response to Reply # 5

HAHA, kick some awd ass. I really can't wait to start!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Real Racing topic #398 Previous topic | Next topic