Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #5459
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Two Questions. Alarms & Headunit Install" Previous topic | Next topic
SlowButLowFeb-28-03 04:54 PM
Member since Jul 25th 2002
98 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5459, "Two Questions. Alarms & Headunit Install"

1. Does anyone have any opinions on Viper Alarm systems? I was thinking about getting one soon and was wondering how good they were. I supposed they are decent since they are about the only car alarm company to have commercials on TV for years.

2. Where can I get a installion kit for my 2G. You know, just the black plastic stuff that goes around the headunit. I've never used one before and it looks fine but I want the one that alot of people have that removes the little compartment under the headunit and just makes it flush with the dash. Because I'm wanting to wire my alarm LED there once I get it, here is a pic, I hope it helps.

Eclipse RS-T...The -T Stand for Non-Turbo!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
SPL_EclipseFeb-28-03 07:16 PM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5461, "RE: Two Questions. Alarms & Headunit Install"
In response to Reply # 0

viper alarms are great in my opinion. people tend to got overly anxious about alarms, when in reality they are very simple components (relays) and are all very similar even among different brands. once you get into the upper echelon of alarms, however, the differences become apperant. let us know what specific model youre looking at and well give you a better idea. i think XtremeRS will be able to answer this one best, hes the resident alarm expert.

as far as the picture, it looks to me like a factory trim panel that has been laminated with a 1/8" piece of ABS (availible at www.selectproducts.com among other places) over the cubby hole. its been so long since ive had a stock headunit area its hard for me to say, though.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

jerseystyle1Mar-01-03 03:58 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
3135 posts,
#5462, "RE: Two Questions. Alarms & Headunit Install"
In response to Reply # 1

Just like he said ^^^^ Viper is made by DEI which is (IMO) the best brand of alarms. As far as the picture is concerned, I am pretty sure that that is just a piece of ABS like SPL_Eclipse said. But I really don't like the alarm LED like that. With the DEI alarms, you can actually remove the LED from that red plastic cover and just drill a small hole (can't remember the size) and pressure fit the LED in the panel for a flush mount. Looks way better IMO. The LED is actually clear, but lights up red. Very stealthy!

Allan
2008 Magnetic Black 350z NISMO /1976 Austin Mini 1098 Special (export)

Member# 1980

TeamXtremeRSMar-01-03 09:50 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#5467, "RE: Two Questions. Alarms & Headunit Install"
In response to Reply # 2

> But I really don't like the alarm LED like
>that. With the DEI alarms, you can actually remove the LED
>from that red plastic cover and just drill a small hole (can't
>remember the size) and pressure fit the LED in the panel for a
>flush mount. Looks way better IMO. The LED is actually
>clear, but lights up red. Very stealthy!

Hehe, ahh yes, I knew I wasnt the only one who does that! I put mine like that in a blank right by my center vents..i think that one was for the rear wiper..well i dont have one As for alarms, stay away from Bulldog stuff..nothing but problems with that stuff. I install DEI products every day, and love it. But you must remember, an alarm system is ONLY as good as it is INSTALLED!! All wiring, sirens, and the brain should be hidden as good as possible, to avoid it being bypassed by a potential jerk off :o Viper stuff is great, and has MANY options you can add to them, and many features that can be programed by your DEI dealer. If you have the cash, check out DEI's new two way transponder systems. They are a full remote start and alarm combo unit, and has a LCD transmitter that shows a diagram of a car. It will page you when the car is started, if the alarm goes off, which part of the car was violated( hood, trunk, doors, shock sensor) up to a 1/4 mile away! I have the Python version of this on my car and i love it. Retail installed will run anywhere from 400-600 depending on where you are and the shop. Some neat toys that can be hooked up to the alarm-- a motion sensor, glass breakage sensor, power window rollup and down, and more. I guess the best advise i can give, is if you go to a shop, talk to the installer personnaly. Tell him you want a sweet install, and to hide things as good as he can.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

oMInOUs97RSMar-01-03 08:28 PM
Member since Mar 22nd 2002
394 posts,
#5475, "RE: Two Questions. Alarms & Headunit Install"
In response to Reply # 3

I install DEI equipment too... much better than anything else I've put in. I do the little LED too, I have mine in the bottom (of the three) empty blank by the center vents. The small hole is either 7/64" opened up, or if you want to use some kind of glue or something to secure the led in place, go with 1/8" hole.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
-Albert Einstein

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #5459 Previous topic | Next topic