Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #455
View in threaded mode

Subject: "q-form kick panel pods?" Previous topic | Next topic
Tanqueray201Oct-23-01 06:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
67 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#455, "q-form kick panel pods?"

Those of you with q-form kick panel pods...how do you like them? I'm really after sound quality/imaging, and I don't want my system to sound like the music is coming from my floor mats.

I'm thinking of going with 3-way components in front...mid-bass in doors, tweets in dash, and mid-ranges in q-form kick panel pods. People have also suggested to me that mid-ranges will also work directly on the kick panels (as opposed to getting a q-form pod). Any thoughts? Also, those of you with manual transmissions...do the pods get in the way?

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1996 Eagle Talon n/t(for sale!)
1998 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
brynden29Oct-25-01 02:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4079 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#456, "RE: q-form kick panel pods?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tell you what, for sound quality and imaging there is nothing better than a good set of kicks. Custom kicks are the best way to go. If you go to a good stereo shop, not best buy or curcuit city or crap like that, but a good shop, one that competes, you will get good kicks. Each kick can be made differently to get the best sound out of your speakers. They can be pointed in the right direction to get the best imaging out of them. That is what I did. I had custom one piece kicks made:

I compete in the USAC sound competitions and the judging consists of sound quality and staging. I have always scored really well in that area, and that is due mostly to my kicks. The speakers have a lot to do with it too, but the enclosures are the most important. I would not buy anything that is pre-fab. That is my opinion, if you want the best sound, go to a good car stereo shop and spend the duckets. Remember, you get what you pay for!!!

Brynden
AFX UDP
Greddy Headers
Greddy SP Cat back exhaust
AEM CAI
Ported TB
MSD Dis 2 Ignition

Full competition stereo:
3 Orion XTR Pro 10" Subs hitting 137.6 DB's in competiton
Pheonix Gold M100 Sub Amp
Pheonix Gold M44 Mids and Highs Amp
Pheonix Gold 150 Band EQ.
Pheonix Gold Bass Cube
2 Stinger 1 Farad Caps
Blaupunkt San Fransisco Deck
5 Disk In-dash Blaupunkt changer

Brynden

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Moderatorsd_eclipseOct-25-01 02:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
#457, "RE: q-form kick panel pods?"
In response to Reply # 1

Kick panels will really help your sound imagining. But if you have a 5spd and a big foot like myself you might catch the edge every now and again when you are shifting. I remember a guy from the ASOG board was making them for a pretty good price. Sorry i can't remember his name.

Tanqueray201Oct-25-01 03:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
67 posts,
#458, "RE: q-form kick panel pods?"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks guys.

Because of monetary constraints, I'm probably going to be starting off with 2-way components in the stock locations, but later upgrade to a 3-way setup with custom kicks.

Brynden...do you have a rear stage in your setup? I was thinking of throwing 5.25 coaxials in the back so that passengers wouldn't have to listen to just bass. I don't want to lose the front imaging, though. Any thoughts?

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1996 Eagle Talon n/t(for sale!)
1998 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja

brynden29Oct-25-01 04:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4079 posts,
#459, "RE: q-form kick panel pods?"
In response to Reply # 3

I do not. I took out the stock speakers and moulded a fuse block on one side and my bass cube on the other. I found that I did not need any rear fill and that if I did, for competition, it would take a lot of adjustment to get it to sound right. I also would have needed some sort of component that would delay the front sound so that the front and rear would get to the judges at the same time. I found that with a good set of front seperates, I have Canton's that are awesome, I do not need any rear fill. Plus no one ever rides in the back seat.

Brynden
AFX UDP
Greddy Headers
Greddy SP Cat back exhaust
AEM CAI
Ported TB
MSD Dis 2 Ignition

Full competition stereo:
3 Orion XTR Pro 10" Subs hitting 137.6 DB's in competiton
Pheonix Gold M100 Sub Amp
Pheonix Gold M44 Mids and Highs Amp
Pheonix Gold 150 Band EQ.
Pheonix Gold Bass Cube
2 Stinger 1 Farad Caps
Blaupunkt San Fransisco Deck
5 Disk In-dash Blaupunkt changer

Brynden

koolade9Nov-01-01 04:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#460, "RE: q-form kick panel pods?"
In response to Reply # 4

bust out the resin and make your own....

kicks rock, seal em and enjoy an even smoother response.

toykillaNov-05-01 06:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
881 posts,
#461, "RE: q-form kick panel pods?"
In response to Reply # 5

My setup, I had 6" mid-bass in the doors..and a custom kick panel with 6.5 and the tweet. It sounded badass. I completely took out the back speakers and had plexi put over them with 1-F comps. looking at you.

Robert Parkhurst
toykilla@comcast.net

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #455 Previous topic | Next topic