Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #484
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Dual voice coil" Previous topic | Next topic
EvMan2345Oct-30-01 01:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#484, "Dual voice coil"

let me start by saying I dont understand the ohm stuff. The subs i want to get are dual voice coil 500w RMS (250w per voice coil). Does that mean theres 2 inputs per sub (1 per voice coil)? How would that work with a 2 channel amp?? I dont have much knowledge with stereos, so im like puzzled....

Evan
97 Eclipse GS
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

Evan B
02 Explorer
97 GS- sold
90 GSX-sold
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MathasOct-30-01 02:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
41 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#485, "RE: Dual voice coil"
In response to Reply # 0

"let me start by saying I dont understand the ohm stuff. The subs i want to get are dual voice coil 500w RMS (250w per voice coil). Does that mean theres 2 inputs per sub (1 per voice coil)? How would that work with a 2 channel amp?? I dont have much knowledge with stereos, so im like puzzled...."

You hit the nail on the head... it does mean two inputs per sub(one per coil). A two-channel amp can drive a dual-coil sub by wiring one channel to each coil, though there are lots of ways that systems can be wired, so that's not the only way.

As far as "the ohm stuff", it is kind of important, unless you like making your equipment smoke Unless you're attempting to do all the install work yourself, just talk to a salesman or installer at your local stereo shop, and they should be able to get you to the right stuff.

If you are trying to do it all yourself, post what you have here(the more info the better), and someone should be able to help you out.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EvMan2345Oct-30-01 02:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
#486, "RE: Dual voice coil"
In response to Reply # 1

Well i was either thinking about the fosgate Hx2's or the kicker sl2L7 squares- both DVC. As for an amp i was planning on a fosgate 800.2 . are there any other amps for about $350 that i can get that would be better than the fosgate to power 2 12" subs w/DVC's??

Evan
97 Eclipse GS
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

Evan B
02 Explorer
97 GS- sold
90 GSX-sold
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

MathasOct-30-01 03:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
41 posts,
#487, "RE: Dual voice coil"
In response to Reply # 2

"Well i was either thinking about the fosgate Hx2's or the kicker sl2L7 squares- both DVC. As for an amp i was planning on a fosgate 800.2 . are there any other amps for about $350 that i can get that would be better than the fosgate to power 2 12" subs w/DVC's?? "

Rockford uses the same model numbers in different series... so we have to know:

1) Sub - Power HX2 or Punch HX2? (Power being the better)
2) Amp - Power 800.2 or Punch 800.2? (Again, Power is the better)

Here's a rundown of the very basics on each:

Power HX2 12" Sub: Dual 2 Ohm coils, 1000W RMS/2000W Peak
Punch HX2 12" Sub: Dual 2 or 4 Ohm coils, 500W RMS/1000W Peak

Power 800.2 Amp: 200Wx2 @ 4 Ohms, 400Wx2 @ 2 Ohms, 800Wx1 bridged @ 4 Ohms, can accept 4 or 8 guage power wire
Punch 800.2 Amp: 200Wx2 @ 4 Ohms, 400Wx2 @ 2 Ohms, 800Wx1 bridged @ 4 Ohms, 8 guage wire only

EvMan2345Oct-30-01 03:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
#488, "RE: Dual voice coil"
In response to Reply # 3

Both would be regular punch, not power... i kinda got an idea of how to wire them based on all of your responses.. THANKS!! i'm going to take a trip to some stereo places and see what they have to say about it...

Evan
97 Eclipse GS
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

Evan B
02 Explorer
97 GS- sold
90 GSX-sold
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

davedOct-30-01 02:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
665 posts,
#489, "RE: Dual voice coil"
In response to Reply # 0

It's going to be hard to explain this over the internet, I kind of have to draw you a picture but here goes: on a dual voice coil sub there are in fact two sets of negative and positive inputs, one on both side of the speaker.

But then you ask the question: The back of the box only has two sets of inputs to run out to my amp what now? Usually a dual voice coil setup can run using 8 ohms which is good becuse you have the ability to bridge with out damage to the amp and get good strong sound out of the subs. Remember that when ever you bridge an amp you cut the ohm load into half, so if you have 8 ohm speakers you now will have 4 ohm speakers. You have to find a two channel amp that will be a stable bridge and will run off 4 ohms, you gotta read the specs of the amp though. When it says run 4 ohms don't run anything lower or higher because you will burn that amp up, they have those ohm loads there for a reason.

So how to I set up the speaker? I am going to tell you how I have mine set up. This set up works, my car bangs and I only have two 12's and I get comments about it all the time, not to mention all the numerous stereo violation tickets I have from the cops.

On the back of the speaker the positive and negative inputs will be off set form each side, meaning one side will be positive - negative and the other side will be negative - positive.

1) You run a piece of wire from one positive side to the
negative side of the speaker, over the magnet.

2) Then from the other inputs run those positive and negative
wires to the back of the box like any normal sub.

3) Run the wires from the back of the amp and bridge that bitch
and you will have mad power to run your sub, but watch out for
those damn cops!!

I hope I didn't lose you, I really need to draw a picture. Email me if you have more questions, I might be able to draw a piture and scan it onto my computer and send it to you. Good luck!

1999 Eclipse RS (all show)
1990 Turbo Eclipse (race)

jZaOct-30-01 02:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#490, "RE: Dual voice coil"
In response to Reply # 5

sorry for whatever is repeated.
You do not want to wire one chanel to each coil, this could be done but shouldn't since 2 outputs generally aren't exactly the same. You may not have problems, but you may though.
You need to know the impedence(ohM) of each coil. with 2 4 ohm coils, you can get 8 ohms or 2 ohms.
with 2 2 ohm coils, 1 ohm or 4 ohms. So for 2 subs, you can get 4, 16, 1 ohms OR 2, 8, or .5 ohms, respecively.
You also have to see what impedence the amp is rated at to get the most out of it. For subs, you typically wire in mono, so you want the bridged mono impedence for max power on the amp

javi d
vroom n' boom

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

SunBlockerDec-18-01 01:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
471 posts,
#491, "RE: Dual voice coil"
In response to Reply # 6

Hi guys, I was searching through the Archives and found this post. I have a 300 watt Pioneer 2-channel amp powering a 10" Kicker DVC Sub in a bandpass box that can handle 600 watts. My amp can be bridged to make 600 watts. I under stand how to wire the sub for the 8 ohms, but I don't know how to bridge an amp. Could you please explain how to bridge an amp?

TIA

Gregg
Green 97 Eclipse RS (Really Slow)

SunBlockerDec-18-01 01:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
471 posts,
#492, "RE: Dual voice coil"
In response to Reply # 7

Bump!

Gregg
Green 97 Eclipse RS (Really Slow)

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #484 Previous topic | Next topic