Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #2973
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Anyone have XM Radio??" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
cool_g_83Jun-20-02 08:44 AM
Member since Apr 27th 2002
478 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2973, "Anyone have XM Radio??"

Was thinking about getting it and wondering if anyone has it. Is it worth it?

Greg
'96 Esi

Greg
'99 Black GS-T MT

Defi D-Series Boost Gauge, ExtremePsi Intake, Greddy Type-S BOV, Hallman Evolution MBC ... 3" Thermal R&D Exhaust soon

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
Moderatorsd_eclipseJun-20-02 09:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2974, "RE: Anyone have XM Radio??"
In response to Reply # 0

I had it and was sort of impressed/not impressed with it. Only reason I got it was because Crutchfield sent me a special offer deal for the XM radio module and antenna. I had bought my radio deck through them that was XM ready. So I must have been on their list or something. Ended up getting the pioneer module and antenna for 149.99.
It was ok, music selection wasn't that bad, although I hated the user interface(pioneer's fault, not XM) and it was flaky in some areas. I don't know if that is still an issue though. I had the service long before it was rolled out nation wide. San Diego was one of the pilot cities to recieve XM coverage. Another thing I hated was the XM antenna itself. Made my car kinda tacky looking in my opinion with the normal FM antenna and this stupid shark fin looking antenna on it. The one thing I did like the most was that some of the stations are dedicated to a certain "genre" of music. The play it constantly not like normal FM radio stations that play a little bit of everything so you hear metallica the something like britney spears. Although the do have some channels that play mix n match like top hits, 80's, etc. I don't have the service anymore but im thinking about re-activating since the price has dropped a little. It's down to $10 a month now.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

oMInOUs97RSJun-25-02 02:12 AM
Member since Mar 22nd 2002
394 posts,
#2975, "RE: Anyone have XM Radio??"
In response to Reply # 1

I have it and it's all I listen to in my car. For only $10 a month, you get over 100 channels and a good variety. IMHO you should go with a direct hookup vs a RF modulated hookup for better sound... but it costs more. For the antenna, if you have a sunroof, you can either put it on the hatch in front of the spoiler, or do what I did, put it on the rear hatch cover inside the car.
IM or email me if you have any ?'s.... I sell and install this stuff at CC

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
-Albert Einstein

cool_g_83Jun-25-02 04:31 AM
478 posts,
#2976, "RE: Anyone have XM Radio??"
In response to Reply # 2

Whats the difference between a direct hookup and RF modulated??

Greg
'99 Black GS-T MT

Defi D-Series Boost Gauge, ExtremePsi Intake, Greddy Type-S BOV, Hallman Evolution MBC ... 3" Thermal R&D Exhaust soon

oMInOUs97RSJun-25-02 08:15 AM
394 posts,
#2977, "RE: Anyone have XM Radio??"
In response to Reply # 3

the RF modulated setup can work with any radio, and uses a radio frequency (RF) to play XM. It's not the true cd quality that XM has the capability of doing though, but it is cheaper. The direct hookup, which is what I have, uses a XM ready headunit, a XM tuner box, and the antenna. The tuner box sends the signal to the headunit digitally through a cable, keeping the CD quality. I have heard some cars using a RF modulated XM setup sound good, just about as good as a direct setup, but at times you could tell it was RF.
If you do decide to go RF modulated, most of them use the same box for direct link, so all you would need to do is get a XM ready headunit and maybe a cable, and youd be set.

-Albert Einstein

cool_g_83Jun-25-02 09:16 AM
478 posts,
#2978, "RE: Anyone have XM Radio??"
In response to Reply # 4

well i just bought the gex-900 processor and the trk-sr2 antenna. So i should get quality sound?

Greg
'99 Black GS-T MT

oMInOUs97RSJun-25-02 03:22 PM
394 posts,
#2979, "RE: Anyone have XM Radio??"
In response to Reply # 5

As long as you have a Pioneer XM ready headunit, you will be all set!
Let me know how it goes.. or if you have any questions putting it in.

-Albert Einstein

cool_g_83Jun-25-02 07:23 PM
478 posts,
#2980, "RE: Anyone have XM Radio??"
In response to Reply # 6

I do have a question about the antenna...does it have to be on the outside of the car or could it be on the inside somewhere? If so, tell me where and a brief how to. Thanks !

Greg
'96 Esi

Greg
'99 Black GS-T MT

oMInOUs97RSJun-27-02 02:01 PM
394 posts,
#2981, "RE: Anyone have XM Radio??"
In response to Reply # 7

It can be put on the inside... that's where mine is. If you have a sunroof, I dont think it will really fit on the roof, and plus, I think the antennas look dumb. As far as how to put it inside, all I did was cut a small hole in the rear deck/hatch cover thing so the antenna leads can go through, but under where you want to put the antenna so you dont see the cables. As far as making the antenna stick to the rear deck, I put a piece of ABS plastic, or something you can screw down to the cover. Clean the surface you just put down with the alcohol wipe provided, then let that evaporate (dry), then press the antenna on it. Now, run the cables along the bottom of the cover out of the way, to your tuner box.
I'm not at my house right now, but I can take a picture of my antenna when I get home tonight, or when I get up in the morning. Let me know if you have any more questions.

-Albert Einstein

cool_g_83Jun-27-02 06:05 PM
478 posts,
#2982, "RE: Anyone have XM Radio??"
In response to Reply # 8

Some pics would help me visualize. Another question with that setup. Say i want to take out my rear-hatch cover thing. Is there any way to make the cables 'plug' into eachother at the place where it joins the back of the seat? Cause that setup you have seems pretty good until you want to take out your rear-hatch cover. Just an idea though and wondering if it is possible. Thanks for all your help man. Really appreciate it!!

Greg
'96 Esi

Greg
'99 Black GS-T MT

oMInOUs97RSJun-29-02 10:22 AM
394 posts,
#2983, "RE: Anyone have XM Radio??"
In response to Reply # 9

sorry I havent been able to put the pics up any sooner, but I will tonight. As far as making something so they plug into each other, I doubt it, because the cables are coaxial, and are "tuned to certain frequencies" by how long it is. I don't know how true that is, the instructions for the antenna tell you not to alter the length of the cable. I really wouldnt put the antenna anywhere else inside the car, other than on the dash, but that would probably look ugly. Like I said though, I'll take pics of mine so you can see what I was talking about.
Hope all this info helps!

-Albert Einstein

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #2973 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic