Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #8670
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Installed new HU and soft top won't work, Help!!" Previous topic | Next topic
BlackSpyder99Apr-05-04 01:06 AM
Member since Mar 30th 2004
2 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8670, "Installed new HU and soft top won't work, Help!!"

I own a 99 eclipse spyder GS and I just finished installing my new headunit and rewired all speakers with 16 gauge wire. It came stock with the Infinity CD/CASSETTE, Amp&Changer unit. As I was testing everything out, I realized the top did not work. It goes through the sequence of bringing the windows down, but all you can hear is the soft top motor clicking and not doing anything. I looked through the schematics and can't find anything that refers to the soft top. I did realize that I failed to wire the power antenna. I still haven't installed the new amp, since I am still undecided on where to place it. The original amp was under the passenger seat, the new amp will not fit in the same location. I would really appreciate, if you could all share your knowledge and help me out on this one.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
a_miller_76Apr-05-04 09:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8682, "RE: Installed new HU and soft top won't work, Help!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know a lot about spyders but GM made some of their cars, like the Cavalier, run their injector relay wire through the CD player so if you removed the player you couldn't operate the car. So you had to do some crazy shit to put a radio in them.

I don't think that Spyders are this way at all, if you hear the motor clicking then it is getting power and signal, may just not be working anymore. Do you have the little clips that you have to unhook to get the top to come down? Did you forget to unhook them? If they aren't manual and are automatic then maybe you accidentally cut a wire going to them.

Not sure on that, you've got me stumped

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BlackSpyder99Apr-07-04 07:38 AM
Member since Mar 30th 2004
2 posts,
#8704, "RE: Installed new HU and soft top won't work, Help!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Yes, I do have the hooks. But the top was down, so they are not a factor. I am going to try and disconnect the radio and see if anything else stops working. Then I will try to rewire the antenna and see if its running on the same 12volt line as the motor for the soft-top.
Thanks for replying...at least you gave it a shot. I truly expected more support from everyone else in this forum. I will keep you posted once I get to work. Pics coming soon. I just ordered my K&N FIPK, hopefully next month I can get my 5ZR 18s on Nitto NeoGens.

Cheers,
Aldo

a_miller_76Apr-07-04 07:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#8706, "RE: Installed new HU and soft top won't work, Help!!"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by BlackSpyder99
Yes, I do have the hooks. But the top was down, so they are not a factor. I am going to try and disconnect the radio and see if anything else stops working. Then I will try to rewire the antenna and see if its running on the same 12volt line as the motor for the soft-top. Thanks for replying...at least you gave it a shot. I truly expected more support from everyone else in this forum. I will keep you posted once I get to work. Pics coming soon. I just ordered my K&N FIPK, hopefully next month I can get my 5ZR 18s on Nitto NeoGens. Cheers, Aldo

You're welcome man. The problem is you're on a 2gnt forum dedicated to the 420a so not a lot of us have experience with Spyders. Bascially your only options are:

1: You cut a wire you shouldn't have.
2: You accidentally disconnected something.
3: You're running 2 things off the same wire and using up too much juice.
4: You have a bad motor for your top and the two events happen to be coincidental.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #8670 Previous topic | Next topic