Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #4462
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Need some help for a sub for my truck." 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
Fast420ANov-12-02 04:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4462, "Need some help for a sub for my truck."

I have a 92 S10 Regular cab that is my daily driver. I want some bass in it since I already have Kicker 4x10's and Cerwin 4x6 plates for the full range sound. I have the amps and shit out of my Eclipse that I can use to run it. I am stuck between using a 6 inch bazooka tube or a single 8 inch woofer with a box custom made. Here's the main things, I listen to mainly rock so deep boomy bass isn't a big deal, just more lows. I also don't want to have to move my seat forward more than 1 to 2 notches. I have been thinking a JL Audio 8 but I found a pawn shop that had a 2 Digital Audio 8's for $59 each. Are there any other subs out there that I should be looking in to? Or would the bazooka be the way to go? Thanks a lot!

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - unknown
Project: Baby on the way

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
SPL_EclipseNov-12-02 05:55 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4463, "RE: Need some help for a sub for my truck."
In response to Reply # 0

bazooka=no

i really dont like those things, especially the 6" ones, IMO. you might as well try it out and see if you like it though, considering its a snap to hook up and you could save time if you decide to keep it.

i would go with 1-2 8"s, or preferably a single 10" if you have the room. i guess it just depends on what kind of work youre willing to put into it. if you just want to make (or buy) a regualr rectangular box, you might only have enough room for 1 8", as where if you fiberglassed the back to fit the contours and did some good cutting for the front MDF panel to fit the contours correctly, you might end up with enough airspace for a couple 10"s. that brings me to my next point: its better to have the proper airspace for only one sub than have too small an airspace for two subs. im not really familiar with trucks for the most part, so im having a hard time envisioning what kind of space you have to work with. can you point me to a pic of the behind-the-seat area?

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Fast420ANov-12-02 11:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#4464, "RE: Need some help for a sub for my truck."
In response to Reply # 1

Sure, And BTW, I also want to keep the jack.

www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/show_image.pl?image=175000-175999%2F175756_23_full.jp_g

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - unknown

www.Fast420A.com

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

Fast420ANov-12-02 11:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#4465, "RE: Need some help for a sub for my truck."
In response to Reply # 1

Oh yeah, and as far as the tube goes. I am in the middle of installing a system in my friend's Sonoma (same as S10) and he has the 6 inch tube so once that's in I'll be able to decide for sure.

current status - unknown

www.Fast420A.com

a_miller_76Nov-13-02 12:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#4466, "RE: Need some help for a sub for my truck."
In response to Reply # 3

Hey man, I wish I had pics to show you...but I'm a dumbass. Okay, I used to have a 2000 Sonoma, but it hasn't changed that much over the years. Heres what I had: 2 Rockford Fosgate DVC 8" subs, amp, cap, all in a custom box behind my seat.

We put the two 8"s in a seperated enclosures in a long wedge shaped box (to specific volume mesurement, not sure what it was now) on the right side, then where the seats split and the armrest folded down we put an amp rack inside the box (seperate of course) with the amp on the back wall and the cap mounted in front of it. The whole amp rack had blue neons around it and was covered on the front with a lexan window in the shape of a Rockford Fosgate logo and tinted in the rear, so you couldn't see in until the neons were on.

It hit hard, but wasn't boomy like a set of 12"'s or anything. I loved it. I also had a set of RF Q series 6.5" components in the doors and a set of RF Q series 4" components in the dash. After adjusting here, melting there, cutting this, replacing that...and working my ass off I had a system in there that my friends bragged about. It wasn't loud, it wasn't boomy, but it was clean as hell and just sounded beautiful to listen to.

Anyway, I miss that system LOL....but all in all, you can put two good sized 8" subs and an amp back there and keep your jack. I did it

Fast420ANov-13-02 12:32 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#4467, "RE: Need some help for a sub for my truck."
In response to Reply # 4

Just remember, mine has the bench seat, not the dual bucket seats like the newer ones. I have seen similar systems to what you are talking about. I am mainly looking for good sound quality, not booming bass. Did you have to move your seat up at all to do that setup?

current status - unknown

www.Fast420A.com

a_miller_76Nov-13-02 01:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#4468, "RE: Need some help for a sub for my truck."
In response to Reply # 5

A little bit, not much though. I'm 6'3" 240lbs and I fit comfortably. I was a bit of an idiot when it came to fiberglass at that time, looking back I would have done it in glass and not had to move my seat at all....but at the time I made it out of 1/2" MDF, so the box was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY bigger than it needed to be

Yeah, if you have the bench seat you don't have to worry about the fancy amp rack like I did....it was just for show anyway

SPL_EclipseNov-13-02 07:47 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#4469, "RE: Need some help for a sub for my truck."
In response to Reply # 6

jeez...i acceidentally posted an entire message in the wrong thread. damn im dumb...heres what i was writing:

man im a dumbass, i kept trying to click on the link and of course it didnt work. i just figured out that the extention had a space in it.
<======= not very observant

you have plenty of room back there for 2 8"s. have you ever though about making a downfiring box? those thend to sound increadably good in trucks. basically, you would make a box that runs the width of the truck, at the bottom os about 10" in depth, and it tapers to 2-3" (or whatever) at the top, so the "front" of the box can sit flush with the back of the bench seat. then you would cut holes for the subs on the bottom of the box, and put it on "legs" that were 3-4" high.

heres the detailed schematics (side view):

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Fast420ANov-13-02 03:02 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#4470, "RE: Need some help for a sub for my truck."
In response to Reply # 7

Well with the seat in a comfortable position there's only about 6 - 7 inches between the bottom of the seat and the wall so the down firing won't work since that would need more than 8 inchs.

Anyone have any opinions on brands of 8 inch subs? If I find a good deal than I will go with 2 otherwise just 1 is all I think I will need and will go with that.

current status - unknown

www.Fast420A.com

a_miller_76Nov-14-02 12:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#4471, "RE: Need some help for a sub for my truck."
In response to Reply # 8

I have 1 brand new Fosgate DVC 8" sub that will handle 400 watts RMS...if you want it I'll sell it to you for $30 plus shipping. I bought it with the other 2 that I had in my truck as a back up in case something went wrong. Damn, I wish I still had all three

mkerleyNov-14-02 01:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#4472, "RE: Need some help for a sub for my truck."
In response to Reply # 9

I got some of the audiobahn sound Q subs and they sound great! Very tight quick response. I think they make them in 8's as well. check ebay for ALUM8Q. I got the 10's for 100 each. YOu can put them in incredibly small boxes (my 10's are in .4 cu ft each)

Actually, just looked it up and unfortunately, they don't make 8's. 10's are as small as they go. But, depending on the amt of room you have back there, you still might be able to fit them in.

If you can give dimensions, I can draw it up and see what kind of box volume you can get back there. These are 6 ohm DVCs.

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #4462 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic