Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12904
View in threaded mode

Subject: "help needed, ignition kill??" Previous topic | Next topic
SeclipseOct-29-07 04:33 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2003
36 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12904, "help needed, ignition kill??"

I think I'm having an alarm problem.I think my alarm is killing the electric to my starter when i try to turn my car on. I'm not quite sure what actually caused it or how to fix it.
A bit of background, i just put in a new battery about a month ago and besides having to crank the engine twice to start I've been pretty good. Last night I'm driving to the store and see a buddy of mine on the side of the road. Turns out he needed a jump so i got him started and went on my way. Get to the store and back home fine. This morning a fire truck flies up my street setting all the alarms on the block off.(not to sure how important that is just trying to give all i can)
Now comes the weird part, I turn the alarm off with the remote and it makes a different siren than usual. I just figured it was because a sensor was tripped when the fire truck went by. I go to start the car and when the key is turned all the way on i get a click then all the electronics in the car shut down. When i pull the key out of the ignition i get power back and the alarm goes nuts.
The alarm is a Chapman that the date on the brain says was made 9/96 and i believe the model is lbl 0725 if that helps any thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
JungyOct-29-07 06:48 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2005
164 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12905, "RE: help needed, ignition kill??"
In response to Reply # 0
Oct-29-07 06:49 PM by Jungy

it kind of sounds like your alarm isn't disarming and the starter and ignition kill are still enabled. everything unlocks and all that just fine? have you checked your starter and ignition wires under the column? hopefully when you jump started your buddy it didn't short out something in the alarm brain.

96' eclipse gs, 2gb conversion
built bottom end, crane #16 cams, hx40 pro billet, MS1 v3 MSn'S-E, 3.55 trans, quaife lsd

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Fallen4ng31Oct-30-07 03:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#12906, "RE: help needed, ignition kill??"
In response to Reply # 1

Most alarms have a key sequence on the fob to completely reset the alarm. If you still have your manual, I would recommend looking into it.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

RoninEclipse2GOct-30-07 06:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#12907, "RE: help needed, ignition kill??"
In response to Reply # 2

check your battery too, if it's too weak after the alarm going off and the jumpstarting your friend, things won't work. also double check the cables, make sure everything is corrosion free.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

SeclipseOct-30-07 09:32 AM
36 posts,
#12909, "RE: help needed, ignition kill??"
In response to Reply # 3

i bought the car used so i don't have the manual for the alarm. i am able to push start the car and have had it running, charging the battery to full power. i don't think i shorted anything out because i had shut the car off and restarted it with without problem the night i jump started my friend. I'm going to see if a local alarm guy can figure it out because i checked all the connections i can find and everything looks good.

SeclipseOct-30-07 02:21 PM
36 posts,
#12910, "RE: help needed, ignition kill??"
In response to Reply # 4

Ok so it turns out that i had a problem with the positive battery cable which when trying to start the car would i guess wiggle or something. with the terminal going on and off it fried my "brain" and kept the starter from turning on.The alarm would pick up the remote and disable the door sensors but when the key was turned it thought it was being stolen. the alarm has been removed and new pos. terminal on and walla started right up.

now while i was there i asked what it would cost to have a new code alarm put in with power locks added, keyless entry(duh),and remote start installed and was given a quote for 5 and change.
is that a good price??? the whole point for the remote start is so i can warm and cool the car in the winter and summer cause im a premadonna. but is it ok to start the car with heat or a/c on?? also instead of the remote start would it be better to get power windows installed??? i hate having to reach over to roll the window down but it doesn't bother me that much. what would you guys do??

Fallen4ng31Oct-31-07 05:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#12911, "RE: help needed, ignition kill??"
In response to Reply # 5
Oct-31-07 09:17 AM by Fallen4ng31

My Python has remote start, windows, etc... Ran me just over $500 installed. So if they are going to convert you to elec. locks and install it, I think you're making out pretty well. Just make sure that your installer knows what they're doing.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

edxmonNov-26-07 04:06 PM
Member since Jul 26th 2005
1006 posts,
#12916, "RE: help needed, ignition kill??"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Fallen4ng31
My Python has remote start, windows, etc... Ran me just over $500 installed. So if they are going to convert you to elec. locks and install it, I think you're making out pretty well. Just make sure that your installer knows what they're doing.

Yup, and if you are serious about doing a power window conversion, I suggest getting the door skins and window switches from a car that came with them stock, so you don't end up with a hack job.

Originally posted by turbo8u
his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

I contributed to the wiki! My Page: edxmon

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12904 Previous topic | Next topic