Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #526
View in threaded mode

Subject: "This sound good?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
TeamicjeclipseNov-04-01 12:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#526, "This sound good?"

Whats up guys. I am looking into replacing my current setup with this amp http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/CRUP2200 and 2 of thses subs http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/CERHED12DVC . (should i get the SVC or DVC?) What do you guys think? Are those good subs? That amp is pretty good as it powers 2 500 watt 12's in the friendas car and it bumps hard.

Ian | 95 Eclipse RS | icj.eclipse@gateway.net | SoCal 2GNT

Ian | SoCal | Former 2GNT owner |
2GNT mods & pics: www.go.to/dsmdomination |
email: icjeclipse@earthlink.net |

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
Teameclipse804Nov-04-01 02:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#527, "RE: This sound good?"
In response to Reply # 0

LAST EDITED ON 04-Nov-01 AT 08:05 PM (PST)

Hey Ian, I think that would be a good system, but I personally would stay away from Crunch because almost everyone agrees that they overrate their amps. That one uses a 40A fuse and advertises 800 watts bridged. A Rockford Fosgate 400.2 which also puts out 800 watts bridged uses a 60A fuse. Basically, a stereo shop said you can usually tell how much power the amp can put out based on it's fuse. And if you do a search in the sound domain forums, you will see that most people say crunch's are overrated. Also, I still believe you get what you pay for most of the time. $120 for crunch vs $400 for the rockford one. That's a really big difference. You know I have Crunch, and I think it sounds alright, but I just went to Best Buy a couple days ago and heard the same subs with a RF 360 watt amp, and it sounded sooo good. Oh and RF has a 3 year warranty, whereas Crunch is only one year. I think if you want sound quality, you need a really good amp, but if you just want spl, then the crunch should be good. Plus, I think you already have a decent system, so if you upgrade, you wanna make sure you are actually making a good upgrade, ya know? I want a new amp and new subs also, but this time I want something good, but then it will cost a lot...

BTW, does anyone know about JL audio amps? My friend switched from his $600 PPI amp to a JL audio amp powering three 12W3's. I never heard about JL amps before...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://www.importvenom.com
Import Venom - Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

jZaNov-04-01 03:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#528, "RE: This sound good?"
In response to Reply # 1

jl amps are great, you don't have to worry about impedence since they put out same power from 4 ohms to 1 ohm (i'm pretty sure that's the range) and they are class D for the sub amps which is really efficient.

If you want some good stuff at a budget look at crossfire, cadence, can't think of anything else now
javi d
vroom n' boom

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

TeamicjeclipseNov-04-01 04:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#529, "RE: This sound good?"
In response to Reply # 1

Pretty much everyone i know has crunch. Me, you, Eric, and a couple of my other friends and they all sound good. Plus really cheap.

Ian | 95 Eclipse RS | icj.eclipse@gateway.net | SoCal 2GNT

Ian | SoCal | Former 2GNT owner |
2GNT mods & pics: www.go.to/dsmdomination |
email: icjeclipse@earthlink.net |

Teameclipse804Nov-04-01 05:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#530, "RE: This sound good?"
In response to Reply # 3

Oh I forgot that you already had a crunch huh? Well just from what I hear, people seem to think crunch is pretty low end. I think Crunch can deliver bass, but not clarity. Like most people say the cheaper amps can't give you really solid, punchy bass. Like if you listen to really fast beats that just keep hitting, and you like a sound quality system, then you probably need better than a crunch. But I guess just for bass, crunch is decent. Are you sure you can't keep your current crunch with those new cerwin vega subs? Maybe you should try that out first, see how it sounds, etc. To be honest, I'm REALLY tempted to get that 800 watt crunch amp you're considering. I mean, for 120 bucks, even if it does half that, I'd be happy. Damnn but I really told myself I'd only get RF or PPI next time. Let me know if you get it, I'd like to hear it...

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

Teameclipse804Nov-04-01 05:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#531, "RE: This sound good?"
In response to Reply # 4

Oh I just checked out the crunch web site, and those ratings are MAX ratings, not rms.

P2200
2 x 200W at 4 ohms
2 x 400W at 2 ohm
1 x 800W at 4 ohms mono

Rms can be about half of the peak power ratings, so I guess this would be comparable to a Rockford Fosgate 360.2 which is 260 from sounddomain. I dunno, I'm confused now, you got me wanting a better amp...

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

CVedEclipseNov-04-01 06:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#532, "RE: This sound good?"
In response to Reply # 5

if you have a little more money, i think that it might be worth your while to get some of the vega series subs (124s) if you can. they can handle alot more and sound great, i used to two in my car and they sounded great. my friend now has them with the same amp that im using now and it really hits deep and clean. they shouldnt be too much more, and you get twice the power handling. then theres always the storkers!! hehe. thats if you are venturing the CV way. i just hype these speakers up b/c i live like 20 mins away from there factory and get good deals b/c i know someone that works there. in fact, i used to sell these speakers if you are interested, i think i may have a couple left. let me know if you are interested.

95 RS Eclipse (Vega-ed Out)
Greddy Exhaust || Greddy Headers || Iceman CAI || NKG Sparks || Magnacore Wires || 16" Enkei Rims || 2" Progressive Drop || Ingalls FR Camber Kit || B&M Short-Shifter || Altezza'a (center painted)

AUDIO/VIDEO-
Pioneer DEH-P7200 || 4" LCD screen (passenger visor)|| DVD Player in trunk || 1" Cerwin Vega Tweeters || 6.5" CV speakers in the doors || Custom fit 6x9 CV in the back panels || 15" CV Stroker in custom made box || MMATS D300HC amp (for the sub)|| MMATS LM4065 amp (for the rest) || ALL CUSTOMED AND DUN BY ME! HEHE

SOON TO COME (WEN FUNDS ARE MET)
Stage II turbo kit (HRC or Star, ne suggestions??? ¦Þ)|| Much needed suspension upgrades || Kits.. Rims.. Money..??? || Pioneer AVX-P7300DVD (indash dvd/screen)|| Pionner AVM-P9000R (gotta have that DTS)

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

toykillaNov-05-01 07:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
881 posts,
#533, "RE: This sound good?"
In response to Reply # 6

KICKER or PHOENIX GOLD!!! you pay a little more (well, alot more) but they are the best quality ive seen in amps. I would never put anything else in my car to power a stereo. my last stereo was phoenix gold and it was stolen so i think I will do an all kicker stereo next time around...and alpine head of course. I LOVE ALPINE!!!!!!

Robert Parkhurst
toykilla@comcast.net

toykillaNov-06-01 10:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
881 posts,
#534, "RE: This sound good?"
In response to Reply # 7

Plus Cerwin Vega's are weird. They are made for a great amount of bass. So if you listen to a wide variety of music they arent the best bet for sound quality.

Robert Parkhurst
toykilla@comcast.net

CVedEclipseNov-06-01 04:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#535, "RE: This sound good?"
In response to Reply # 8

i think alot of clarity depends on the amp. the better amp, the better the clarity. ive been running my mmats amp on my vegas and the clarity has been great. i listen to a decent variety of music, and really cant complain. but then again, i love to hear deep full bass and the bass is usually turned up high, so maybe im not the best person to speak of clarity, just as long as i can feel it in my chest its kool! heh heh. just my 2 pennies

95 RS Eclipse (Vega-ed Out)
Greddy Exhaust || Greddy Headers || Iceman CAI || NKG Sparks || Magnacore Wires || 16" Enkei Rims || 2" Progressive Drop || Ingalls FR Camber Kit || B&M Short-Shifter || Altezza'a (center painted)

AUDIO/VIDEO-
Pioneer DEH-P7200 || 4" LCD screen (passenger visor)|| DVD Player in trunk || 1" Cerwin Vega Tweeters || 6.5" CV speakers in the doors || Custom fit 6x9 CV in the back panels || 15" CV Stroker in custom made box || MMATS D300HC amp (for the sub)|| MMATS LM4065 amp (for the rest) || ALL CUSTOMED AND DUN BY ME! HEHE

SOON TO COME (WEN FUNDS ARE MET)
Stage II turbo kit (HRC or Star, ne suggestions??? ¦Þ)|| Much needed suspension upgrades || Kits.. Rims.. Money..??? || Pioneer AVX-P7300DVD (indash dvd/screen)|| Pionner AVM-P9000R (gotta have that DTS)

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

koolade9Nov-06-01 05:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#536, "RE: This sound good?"
In response to Reply # 9

I'll break it down like this....

the volume of your sub-bass, is directly related to how much real power you have. how clean your bass sounds is directly related to your enclosure design. as long as nothing in the signal chain or the amp is clipping, sound quality will be determined by the enclosure. many of you will call me out on this, but step back and think about home audio for a minute, and why those $4k monitors, are $4k....

CVs are very nice woofers, very efficient and they do sound very good, but because of thier efficiency, they need large enclosures and most cars don't have space to spare with limits their popularity.

as long as you buy a decent woofer from a respectable company, and build your enclosure properly, you'll enjoy the results.

JL audio comes to mind for very versatile subs.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #526 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic