Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #232
View in threaded mode

Subject: "I need advice on amps (4-way)" Previous topic | Next topic
super_dave1980Jul-12-01 11:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
5 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#232, "I need advice on amps (4-way)"

I have just bought an Infinity Reference 6.5" component set, and need to get a 4-way amp to power them and a set of JBL Power Series 6x9's...

The question is what amp to get. I am looking at MTX's 6304 (75Wx4) and a Rockford Fosgate 200.4 (last years model, 50Wx4, I think).

I really liked the way the MTX sounded, but it cost $399, and the Rockford is $192. Would the extra ~$200 be worth it? My head unit is going to be a Kenwood eXcelon Z828, if that helps.

I really need some advice from people who have some experiance with car audio, and not just the sales reps, so any advice/opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Dave

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Black97GSJul-13-01 12:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
93 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#233, "RE: I need advice on amps (4-way)"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm a huge MTX Amp fan, but I'd have to say it's not worth twice the price. You can find better deals on MTX amps than that on the net. Try http://matrixcaraudio.com They have some pretty good MTX prices. Just bought a 1000d for $400!!!

Clint

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

super_dave1980Jul-13-01 02:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
5 posts,
#234, "RE: I need advice on amps (4-way)"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks a lot, Clint, I think I'll order one tonight! That'll save me $125, woo hoo!

Any more advice from other people would help me out too.

Dave

moistureJul-15-01 05:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
31 posts,
#235, "Well...."
In response to Reply # 0

Unless you are using the stock radio, you won't notice a drastic difference speaker output at on 50 watts per channel on your amp, especially driving some 6.5's and 6x9's. Sound might have a little more definition, but you're bass response will not improve by much. You'd be better off buying a two channel amp with a high output to drive the 6x9's or a single channel amp to drive a subwoofer. But that's just my opinion.

- moisture

koolade9Jul-16-01 04:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#236, "RE: Well...."
In response to Reply # 3

get the MTX, I install em every day and they are awesome amps! use it to run your fronts and rears for now, then when you get a sub(s), you can run all your highs off the front 2 channels and bridge the rear two for the sub. simple, and very effective.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #232 Previous topic | Next topic