Go back to previous topic
Forum nameIntroductions
Topic subjectThe Beauty and The Curse
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=92&topic_id=1351
1351, The Beauty and The Curse
Posted by irregular defect, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys, my name is Shawn. I've been reading/viewing these boards for quite some time. Doing ALOT of searching and ALOT of reading, there is a huge "Thank You" due to all you guys for all your help. I have a 97 RS. Currently has 145k on it. And in short, has been through a little degree of hell. Haha. When I got the car, it was bone stock and had about 105k on it, i think. After a few months, the first thing I did was put rims on it. Got them used from a good friend for very cheap. Here's the car after about a year.

Well, that only lasted about another 6 months. I was sharing the car with my girlfriend at the time, and one weekend as she was driving past a construction zone, hit a rock about the size of a musk mellon. Cracked both rims on the drivers side and ripped one of the tires. So there went those. At some other point, she came home from work and I was washing the car and noticed the paint on the rear bumper was cracked and chipping. Someone had backed into the car while she was at work and just left, in this town...doesn't suprise me one bit, but needless to say, I was still pissed.

Then the "big one" happened. She was going somewhere, it had just rained, so the roads were wet. She was a habitual speeder, long story short...rear ended a van. Not hard, but it had a hitch so that did enough damage. Bent up the hood, put a hole in the bumper, the radiator, A/C condensor, and caught the edge of the drivers side headlight too. I didn't have my license when we got the car, so I put it in her name. So, she just wanted to junk it and get a new car. At this point it was way too late. I had fallen in love with the car and that just wasn't happening. So I saved up, did ALOT of reading here and slowly put her back together.

So, instead of getting stock parts, I knew I wanted to customize it a little more and ended up getting a stock type CF hood, Griffin aluminum radiator with 2 12" Flex a Lite fans, Blitz bumper, and Projector style headlights. Took about 2 months, waiting for parts and drilling out rusted bolts...Haha. but I finally got her back on the road.

A few months later, had a bad vibration in the front end and investigated what ended up becoming another month long project. In all I ended up replacing the drivers side outer tie rod, upper tie rod, and lower lateral arm.....and on the passanger side, inner and outer tie rods, upper also, lateral and the curved control arm.....and on the passanger side the axle nut was rust welded to the knuckle. Tried PB, an impact, a torch...nothin. Eventually had to remove the knuckle and axle as one piece and replace them.

Got some Blitz side skirts.

Got an AEM short ram.

Did some painting of the interior.

Did a little damage myself. Came home from work one day, car was overheating a little, so I took the hood pins out and went inside to let it cool before removing the cap. Got distracted inside, got a phone call and needed to go somewhere pretty quick, came outside, jumped in my car and took off down the street...a block down the road my hood comes flying up and smashes into the windsheild and roof. Thankfully didn't even crack my windsheild, but it cracked the shit out of my 8 month old CF hood.:wallbash

Got another set of used rims from a different friend for cheap.

Then I got picked up by a signed band and went on tour for 2 years and my car sat.

Which brings us up to present day. Back home, got my car out of my moms garage, new battery, a good wash of the car and I finally get to drive my car again!!!!:thumbsup Here are some pics I took today.

1352, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Posted by dalesmitsu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Welcome, props on using the search button :thumbsup

Nice 2g color,nice wheels some won't like your interior (RED pieces)I recommend painting them black. Black panels and grey carpet looks good least you didn't go over board with the Red paint.
Nice wheel choice, your old ones reminds me of my brothers Mx-6/probe,just terrible.

Whats your plans for it and you must play guitar or a roadie since you mentioned about being picked up by a band.

1354, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
My plans, realistically.....haha, would be to mold the skirts and get the car painted. Most likely black, but I'm debating on painting it the stock grey pearl. The interior is only half finished and a few of the parts that are done need to be gone over and cleared. I'd like to do a rebuild, top and bottom, but nothing crazy...just build it to be strong and maybe down the line do a turbo and run small boost, like 8-10psi. It's still my DD, so I don't have current plans to go crazy with it. Who knows, maybe down the line with album sales and tour I'll have money to buy a brand new car and then the Eclipse will be crazy. Haha. But realistically I would just like a clean, good looking daily driver with a little pep in it.

And yes, I searched my balls off for everything I've done to/with the car. I see people get ripped apart left and right on here for asking some ridiculously stupid questions. So I just stayed in the shadows and read alot and every question I had was answered within a few minutes. I know theres alot of "stocker" type guys on here, but that's just not me. To each his own. I love the car in general, modded or not. It's just dead sexy.

Oh, and I play bass. The band is 12 Stones.
1355, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Originally posted by irregular defect
My plans, realistically.....haha, would be to mold the skirts and get the car painted. Most likely black, but I'm debating on painting it the stock grey pearl. The interior is only half finished and a few of the parts that are done need to be gone over and cleared. I'd like to do a rebuild, top and bottom, but nothing crazy...just build it to be strong and maybe down the line do a turbo and run small boost, like 8-10psi. It's still my DD, so I don't have current plans to go crazy with it. Who knows, maybe down the line with album sales and tour I'll have money to buy a brand new car and then the Eclipse will be crazy. Haha. But realistically I would just like a clean, good looking daily driver with a little pep in it. And yes, I searched my balls off for everything I've done to/with the car. I see people get ripped apart left and right on here for asking some ridiculously stupid questions. So I just stayed in the shadows and read alot and every question I had was answered within a few minutes. I know theres alot of "stocker" type guys on here, but that's just not me. To each his own. I love the car in general, modded or not. It's just dead sexy. Oh, and I play bass. The band is 12 Stones.

No shit, thats f'n awesome 12 stones.

1356, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Posted by Babbz413, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
good job on staying in there and not just throwing in the towel man. i can relate with all the headaches.
1359, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Yeah, when she mentioned just junking it and getting a new car, I flipped out. Haha....I've got faith in my car. It's funny because no one gets it, and then I come on these boards and find others just like me :cheers
1360, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Welcome! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that searched and lurked for a long time before bothering to actually poke my head in and say something

Keep the car the factory color! It's one of the best colors that they used and pretty rare to see. You're probably not going to get any props for the blitz kit around here, but if it's what you like then that's what matters.

Many of us have been through the same headaches that you have, it's part of loving a car. Hopefully your girl understands the attachment to your car, if she doesn't then at least you're not married :P
1361, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Well the girl that did all the damage to the car, we're no longer together. And thank god. Haha. Thats been a few years ago, I have a new girl now that has her own car and knows she will never see behind the wheel of mine.:nono It all turned out for the best.

Yeah, I know the Blitz bumper isn't liked too well, or the painted interior...but I had to get rid of the grey, and I like the Blitz bumper.. fuck F&F. Haha.
1362, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Well I have no room to talk when it comes to painted interiors :7

I can't stand the gray either. I painted my interior solid black other than a few choice trim pieces that are Mopar grabber green, and those may get repainted body color when I repaint the car later this year.
1369, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Got bored yesterday while my girl was at the DMB concert and decided to clean up and paint the drums and visable suspension parts.

Ran out of daylight, going to do the calipers today.
1370, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Nice color to hide the drums.

There's a good write up with pictures for the rear drum to rear disc brake swap. Just a thought I like you know if you're planning on doing it.
1371, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Did the calipers today.

Of course I went with black.....who wants to say "Hey look at my stock drums and calipers!!!" Haha...Yeah, just cleaned em up and made them not rust color.

Next on the agenda is goin to a junkyard and getting an intake to P&P and then possibly power coat, and after that the 60mm TB.

And then...

And then.....

Haha.....it's never ending.
1372, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Posted by Hedge, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Its looking pretty good man, and i agree with the curse part. Its never ending haha. The only thing i dont like is the red interior parts but everything else is looking pretty good. Ohh and i was myspace creeping your band, and your in guitar hero? thats sick.
1374, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
So, more trouble today.....well sort of, more humor than anything.

Had my car towards the end of the driveway last night, went to move the car today and it wouldn't start. It was turning over, but no fire. So I'm thinking, it sat for two years, it's probably the fuel filter. My buddy comes over and we're checking the spark plugs and wires and whatnot and I stopped for a second and thought...."I only have about an 1/8th tank of gas, and the car is on a slope (nose down)."

So, throw the car in neutral, roll it out in the road where it's flat....fires right up.:+
1375, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
So, more trouble today.....well sort of, more humor than anything. Had my car towards the end of the driveway last night, went to move the car today and it wouldn't start. It was turning over, but no fire. So I'm thinking, it sat for two years, it's probably the fuel filter. My buddy comes over and we're checking the spark plugs and wires and whatnot and I stopped for a second and thought...."I only have about an 1/8th tank of gas, and the car is on a slope (nose down)." So, throw the car in neutral, roll it out in the road where it's flat....fires right up.:+

One amazing thing is how low you can run the tank and still have a running vehicle. I've made the needle dissappear on occasion
1382, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Really? Wow. I've never chanced it like that. I always refill right around the 1/8th tank mark.

This weekend I'm picking up some new goodies and should have them in the car by next weekend. Some stock, some for flash, and some for performance.
1383, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
I'll have to see if I still have a pic of that. it's pretty scary.
1387, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Went to go change the fuel filter today. Snapped the head off of one bolt, a storm was on its way and close, so gave up on that one. Rust is a bitch.:wallbash Just gonna spray it a few times a day with PB for the next few days and take it to my buddys shop and try it again on the lift. Wouldn't be the first time I replaced every bolt on a part that I snapped the bolts off, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Haha.
1388, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
and your filter is in a really annoying place.
1389, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
and your filter is in a really annoying place.

I have 97 gs is it the same, I've heard its in front of the passenger rear tire.

I'm changing mine on my next day off, just wondering.
1390, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Yeah, a very annoying place. With annoying rusted bolts.

dalesmitsu, Just a helpful tip....It tells you to depressurize the system first. Take off the back seat, and there are two covers with 4 screws on them, its the one directly behind the passenger seat NOT the one in the middle. And then start the car and let it die, blah blah blah...the manual explains it. Just wanted to warn you with cover to pull off.
1392, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Yeah, a very annoying place. With annoying rusted bolts. dalesmitsu, Just a helpful tip....It tells you to depressurize the system first. Take off the back seat, and there are two covers with 4 screws on them, its the one directly behind the passenger seat NOT the one in the middle. And then start the car and let it die, blah blah blah...the manual explains it. Just wanted to warn you with cover to pull off.

The location isnt annoying its the damn rusty bolts from road salt lol.

I knew that about being behind the passenger seat and its what switch relay to unplug from the pump.

There's two I believe, car will stay running if you pull relay on leftside and rightside the car will start idle about a minute then it will shut down.

I'm more concern about the :censored rusted bolts then the location lol.

1391, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Originally posted by dalesmitsu
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G and your filter is in a really annoying place.
I have 97 gs is it the same, I've heard its in front of the passenger rear tire. I'm changing mine on my next day off, just wondering.

Yup, if you've got a 96 or newer it's there. only the 95's had the filter in the engine bay hididng behind the washer reservoir

1393, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G and your filter is in a really annoying place.
I have 97 gs is it the same, I've heard its in front of the passenger rear tire. I'm changing mine on my next day off, just wondering.
Yup, if you've got a 96 or newer it's there. only the 95's had the filter in the engine bay hididng behind the washer reservoir

:eek that could cause fire in the 95's also I'm thankful I didnt buy a 95.
1394, RE: The Beauty and The Curse

WTF are you talking about? TONS of cars have the fuel filter in the engine bay. My subarus have them there, my toyota has it there, the acuras I had were in the engine bay, the jeeps I had had the filter in the engine bay. I'd rather have them protected in the engine bay than have it under the car where some random piece of crap could puncture it
1395, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
WTF are you talking about? TONS of cars have the fuel filter in the engine bay. My subarus have them there, my toyota has it there, the acuras I had were in the engine bay, the jeeps I had had the filter in the engine bay. I'd rather have them protected in the engine bay than have it under the car where some random piece of crap could puncture it

If the fuel fiter leaked inside the engine bay it might catch on fire.

1396, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
so could a rotting fuel hose. doesn't stop manufacturers from using those now does it?

1397, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
true
1398, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Well, now that you guys got that settled....Haha.....

My valve cover should be here Monday and my header should be here Wednesday. I already went and picked up the oil pan, gauge pod, intake mani, and cat back from Talonized. Hopefully be able to get into the shop next weekend and get most of it installed. The intake mani won't be going on right away, I'm probably going to ship it out somewhere to have it ported and polished, and then go grab the 60mm TB I found in a junkyard. So that may be a few more weeks. Can't wait to get it done though and see what kind of improvements I get.
1399, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
While your at pickapart yard lol, try to find an GST with catback exhaust, you can use the axle back of the stock GST it should be dual pipes at the end.
Add this plus with a new Magnaflow catalytic converter, also a ebay short ram intake. You could find both under 200 on ebay would add some power to it.
1401, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Well, that's good advice, thanks.....but I already have a cat back + cat/resonator pipe, picked it up last Sunday from Talonized. And I already have an AEM intake, take a look at the pics in the first post.;)

I did go to a pick and pull with my friend yesterday though, I just rode along, didn't plan on getting anything.....then I seen a 98 jeep, took a peek...sure enough, the throttle body was on it and in good shape, snagged it up for 44 bucks.
1402, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
a 98 wrangler or cherokee, what type of motor was it v6 v8.
1403, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
I don't remember. The in-line 6, 4.0.
1404, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Mr. UPS man gave me a visit....

Installation soon.
1405, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Mr. UPS man gave me a visit.... http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/ileft4deadi/valvecover. jpg Installation soon.

Funny that 2nd pic looks exactly like what is supposed to show up at my place :squint
1409, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Posted by Babbz413, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
is that valve cover the one that was posted on ebay about a week or 2 ago at an original bid of 25 (my bid) with 20 shipping and no core charge? i was bidding on that thing....
1410, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Not this one. I picked mine up from a guy on here.
1411, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Got the header and exhaust installed today. What a bitch. 7 hours of fun.....not. FUCK that godamn heat shield. But, it sounds amazing....short drive home, so I'm not sure about the power band yet.

Post pics tomorrow.

After payday, buy the gaskets and the oil pan and valve cover will be on.
1467, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
what where the problems you ran into with the install HD/ex I know from mine the bolts where a pita rusty mostly snap heads on two-three.

1469, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Yeah, just rust. Lots and lots of rust. Broke 5 of the 7(i think) bolts on the hangers and such. The heat shield bolts were rusted to all hell, and of course you can't get to the header bolts themselves off unless the heat shield is outta the way first. Took about 2 hours to get the heat shield and header off. Everything was pretty much smooth sailing after that. The exhaust I got was used and pre-welded/fitted to a Talon, so all the hanger mounts were there and in the right place.
1476, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
I've found that exhaust bolts are usually a 2 day job. Spray the fuck out of them with PB blaster or liquid wrench a few times (bare minimum of 2) the first day. Enjoy the rest of your night and start wrenching on them the next day. 90% of the time they'll come right off.
1483, RE: The Beauty and The Curse
Posted by cyb3r_shy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
they do say that love and pain come hand inhand
I generated this page in 0.012293100357056 seconds, executing 7 queries.