Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectre-install problems
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=95204
95204, re-install problems
Posted by Malenko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well after pulling the kit thinkin turbotitan and I were swapping cars, I started putting it all back together only Ive hit a few snags:

I cant get to the oil sensor where you install the sending unit, a huge metal bar thingie aka a Crossmember is in the way . Im not in a shop and dont have access to a lift or an engine Hoist. How do I pull the sensor to install the unit? the more details the better

Next problem, I cant drop the oil pan to swap in the tapped one. A smaller metal piece is in the way that attaches to the bar in problem #1
I have 10 of the 13 bolts out, but as you know, thats not enough ;)

Im sure more problems will follow but I need to conquer these before I'll have the joy of experiencing the rest.

To all those who want to post answers, be as detailed as possible and remember ; I do infact know what Im doing its just that my selection of tools has diminished.

The car is a 1998 Eclipse RS ATX transmission

PICTURE:

I can only work on my car during the weekends, and the sooner I get this done, the better
95205, RE: re-install problems
Posted by PiKapp504, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Drop the lower cross member. Don't worry, the motor will stay where it is. That last bracket is a support bracket if I remember correctly, it needs to be removed as well.
95209, RE: re-install problems
Posted by boosted60trimrst, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
you really dont need to drop the crossmember . i got my pan off with a deep socket . slide it in there and loosen it up then just take the socket and unscrew the bolts with ur fingers . once u got the pan off u will be able to reach the sender easier too
95212, RE: re-install problems
Posted by Blizare, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by boosted60trimrst
you really dont need to drop the crossmember . i got my pan off with a deep socket . slide it in there and loosen it up then just take the socket and unscrew the bolts with ur fingers . once u got the pan off u will be able to reach the sender easier too

Yea but to take off 4BOLTS from the crossmember that are all easy to get at.....to make the whole job easier, makes sense to me.

Just like the injectors I just installed again. I could have fought with it but I undid 5 bolts in the intake mani and it was super easy.

95213, RE: re-install problems
Posted by bzoss, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
get a 26mm box end wrench. then cut it in half.
it works great, and you don't have to remove anything.

if you are in the VA area, I will let you use mine.
95214, RE: re-install problems
Posted by aivanne182, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
if you choose not to remove the crossmember, it's gonna be a pain to tighten these 3 bolts back on......remember it's always easy to unbolt shit, it's just not always easy to bolt it back on...I didn't pay attention to those one time while screwing them back on just with my fingers and i had a gnarly oil leak....
95216, RE: re-install problems
Posted by BumpinTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You can get a wicked attachment that lets you turn sockets with a wrench. I use mine an awful lot. Try and find one of those, and that should give you the room you need.
95219, RE: re-install problems
Posted by Malenko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
You can get a wicked attachment that lets you turn sockets with a wrench. I use mine an awful lot. Try and find one of those, and that should give you the room you need.

gee a socket wrench? like I said, save the smart assed answers for the tards. If there is some other tool youre talking about that isnt a socket wrench then pardon my retort. Remember this is the Turbo/Nitrous TECH section, not the pits.

I have a socket wrench and a good range of sockets and extensions.the cross member gets in the way of an extension reaching 2 of the oil pan bolts and the oil sensor

Back on topic, I loosened the bolts on the cross member and its still there hanging by the well... rubber hanger, but its out of the way. The oil pan is dropped but now Im still trying to get some wrench on the oil sender, I'll letcha know how I do, only have another 30 min till I head off to work and then get to wake up at am tomorrow and work on the 2GNT a lil more.
95225, RE: re-install problems
Posted by Chamuko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just DROP the damn cross memeber. The engine is being held up by the 2 MM on the sides. If your scared, rent and engine support.
95226, RE: re-install problems
Posted by Blizare, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Chamuko
Just DROP the damn cross memeber. The engine is being held up by the 2 MM on the sides. If your scared, rent and engine support.

But don't be scared and rent that shit cause the engine won't fall on you. :P
95228, RE: re-install problems
Posted by boosted60trimrst, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Malenko
Originally posted by BumpinTalon You can get a wicked attachment that lets you turn sockets with a wrench. I use mine an awful lot. Try and find one of those, and that should give you the room you need.
gee a socket wrench? like I said, save the smart assed answers for the tards. If there is some other tool youre talking about that isnt a socket wrench then pardon my retort. Remember this is the Turbo/Nitrous TECH section, not the pits. I have a socket wrench and a good range of sockets and extensions.the cross member gets in the way of an extension reaching 2 of the oil pan bolts and the oil sensor Back on topic, I loosened the bolts on the cross member and its still there hanging by the well... rubber hanger, but its out of the way. The oil pan is dropped but now Im still trying to get some wrench on the oil sender, I'll letcha know how I do, only have another 30 min till I head off to work and then get to wake up at am tomorrow and work on the 2GNT a lil more.

for the oil sender there is a special socket made just for it .
I generated this page in 0.011820793151855 seconds, executing 7 queries.