Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectwhat does a...
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=9324
9324, what does a...
Posted by kuito, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
blow off valve? and what does it do? I am just finalizing a buy on a 99 GSX and I was wondering where I should start moding the engine.. any help appreciated.. -key2/kuito
9325, RE: what does a...
Posted by Super20G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
realeses pressure from your intake when boost is no longer neede(when you take your foot off the gas or you shift gears). If it doesnt release pressure, it will bounce around in your intake causing a flutter, and the compressor wheel to spin incorrectly. I wouldnt worry about upgrading it unless you want to hear it louder.. Performance wise, the stock BOV is pretty decent I hear.
--
Brad Rickard
98 GS HRC Stage V (nuff said)
9326, RE: what does a...
Posted by toykilla, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just get a boost controller and up the boost. GS-T and GSX's are capable of 450hp on stock internals. Blow off valve is more a cosmetic thing than anything...they all do the same thing...you can hear them all..its just if you want the person your racing to hear it as you fly by. =) For the GSX and performance wise..Id get a boost controller, bored trottle body, upgraded downpipe, turbo timer, air/fuel ratio, EGT, boost gauges to start, and maybe check a junkyard for a FMIC off a mitsu starion and a intake system. As long as it has a K&N filter it doesnt really matter which kind you get. You can have the boost at 15psi on the stock bottom end on a GSX. Im not 100% sure that the stock turbo will hold that though so you might want to upgrade that as well if your looking for some real power. Good luck...
9327, RE: what does a...
Posted by Jeff_99gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I think its funny that people keep saying a turbo timer is a necessary upgrade.

-Jeff
1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T'd and HRC'd

http://gs.dsmpower.com

9328, RE: what does a...
turbo timer has been proven to GREATLY increase turbocharger life.....
9329, RE: what does a...
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So has letting your car idle while you smoke a cigarette.

Turbo timers don't do anything you can't do yourself.

For Mitsubishi Technical Manuals, INCLUDING the 97-99 electrical and service manuals, click HERE:
http://www.heavenz-not-0verflowing.com/files/
No MP3 for YOU!
Somehow, the Proud Owner of not-your.biz
9330, RE: what does a...
LAST EDITED ON 13-Nov-01 AT 08:39 AM (PST)

I never said they do anything you cant do yourself but some people dont like sitting in their cars waiting 2 mins to shut it off. Like myself, I guess you can say im lazy! =) Plus I also use mine to tell me battery volts. So I got a couple more features for a little bit more than a voltage gauge. Also, I only have soo much gauge room without doing custom stuff.

Oil pressure and Air/Fuel beside my stock gauges.
Boost, EGT and electric fuel pressure on triple gauge pod

9331, RE: what does a...
Posted by Stan2gnt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>Just get a boost controller and
>up the boost. GS-T and
>GSX's are capable of 450hp
>on stock internals.

The stock BOV wont allow you to raise boost but a few psi. Stock turbo wont hold it anyway. Boost controller without BOV is useless on 2G GSX.

Blow off
>valve is more a cosmetic
>thing than anything...they all do
>the same thing...you can hear
>them all..its just if you
>want the person your racing
>to hear it as you
>fly by. =)

Cosmetic (I assmune you mean upgrading from a stock BOV is cosmetic)? Some stock ones leak. some stock ones arent big enough for every aplication. 3000GT/2G eclipse bypass valves function as pop off valves to prevent overboost and MUST be replaced. Only on 1Gs can the BOV be maintained.

For the
>GSX and performance wise..Id get
>a boost controller, bored trottle
>body, upgraded downpipe, turbo timer,
>air/fuel ratio, EGT, boost gauges
>to start, and maybe check
>a junkyard for a FMIC
>off a mitsu starion and
>a intake system. As long
>as it has a K&N
>filter it doesnt really matter
>which kind you get.

1rst boost gauge
2nd intake/filter and catback
3rd bypass valve that doesn't leak and upper intercooler pipe
4th boost controller
Downpipe ok anytime, TB uneccessary, Turbo timer optional.
At this point nothings adjustable except boost which the stock turbo cant maintain anything but 14psi above 4000rpms. EGT/AF optional still.

Why put a junkyard intercooler on a factory intercooled car? You already have one from the factory. Put a good sidemount on it or FMIC if you want to. I would do this after a turbo upgrade anyway but I guess thatz debatable.

5th Straight to 16G or upgraded turbo, fuel pump and EGT/AF gauges.
6th intercooler
7th 550cc injectors and AFC/VPC if you want to raise the boost with upgraded turbo.
8th call a shop for the rest.

You
>can have the boost at
>15psi on the stock bottom
>end on a GSX.

You can put 20psi on the stock bottom end with the right tuning and turbo that will maintain it at least for track duty.

Wrong section right!!!!!!!yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://stan2gnt.homestead.com/home.html
Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon 420A-Turbo
Former and future nitrous user

I generated this page in 0.0099129676818848 seconds, executing 7 queries.