Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectCrower 2 help, and post your mods please
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=92921
92921, Crower 2 help, and post your mods please
Posted by Hamgumball, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm trying to figure out why my car runs very rich with these. But when I was searching, it seems like some people are running great with these. So what are some of your set ups with these cams? I'm posting here because I am turbo too.

My car has very rough idle, sometimes is hard to start and doesn't pic up speed until around 3000 rpms. Sometimes, when I let off the gas, my car would die unless i give it a tiny bit of gas at the last minute. Turbo spools after 5500 and pulls very hard though.

My mods (the ones that matters for this post) are, 10.5:1 cr, High pressure walbro 255lph, adjustable fpr, t3/t4 turbo running 7.5 lbs. Adjustable cam gears set at 0. No intercooler, stock exhaust. Fuel pressure at idle is around 52. I have a SAFC but only adjusted the idle (1000 is close to -18), very afraid of timing advance and detonation with this.

I wanted a list of your mods so I can see what I'm missing, and to plan my next mod.
92922, RE: Crower 2 help, and post your mods please
Posted by Richard97rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
you should get a wideband o2 sensor so see how rich you are running. Maybe something stopped working right to cause you to run right. Are your plugs ok? I would also start looking for a Intercooler but that has nothing to do with your "rich" conditions.
92931, RE: Crower 2 help, and post your mods please
Posted by BlackMagic, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hows your timing?
92933, RE: Crower 2 help, and post your mods please
Plugs are new, less than a week old. So are the wires (took advantage of autozone lifetime warrenty). I just redid the timing, the parts dinosaur guy was awesome, i got my timing tensioner the next day! I'm pretty sure that i got the timing right.

But I'm only getting about 1-2 in. hg of vaccuum at idle. When I'm crusing and let off the gas I get between 15-18. But I read in an older post that someone else had these readings with these cams (i think it was skrilla). I have no low end power whatsoever, probably because i'm running rich and need to tune it. But i know there are people out there that have gotten them to run right with out a standalone, right?
92934, RE: Crower 2 help, and post your mods please
Since my turbo doesnt reach full boost at full throttle till about 4500 rpm, i'm thinking I should lean out the a/f mixture via safc at the points between 1000 rpm and 4500rpm and not worry about detonation and timing advance. Because technically, i would be just leaning out the points where it isn't boosting, and the timing advance at "all motor" times wouldn't cause detonation. Doesn't it seem logical? But is this a good idea to do?
92936, RE: Crower 2 help, and post your mods please
Posted by flamineclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sounds like a timing issue to me. And no I wouldn't lean anything out until I figured this out. Especially with high compression pistons and no intercooler. You are already looking at some pretty intense heat there and leaning it out will only compound your problems. I'll bet that you have missed your timing marks by a tooth or so.

Oh, you don't like altezza's? Too bad, your gonna get a good look at mine.
92937, RE: Crower 2 help, and post your mods please
Originally posted by flamineclipse
Sounds like a timing issue to me. And no I wouldn't lean anything out until I figured this out. Especially with high compression pistons and no intercooler. You are already looking at some pretty intense heat there and leaning it out will only compound your problems. I'll bet that you have missed your timing marks by a tooth or so. Oh, you don't like altezza's? Too bad, your gonna get a good look at mine.

92939, RE: Crower 2 help, and post your mods please
Posted by Richard97rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I agree not to lean it out. You really have no way to know how rich you are running and even though you dont see full boost until 4500rpms the car still sees boost in the lower rpms. So it is still making some power.
92940, RE: Crower 2 help, and post your mods please
Posted by ForceFed420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have to admit, I have some serious concerns about detonation.

High(er) compression pistons
Stock exhaust
No intercooler
7.5 psi

I would avoid leaning it out until you (at a minimum) get an intercooler.

Brian
92941, RE: Crower 2 help, and post your mods please
7.5psi with no intercooler is a lot, i would'nt go over 5 or 6
92942, RE: Crower 2 help, and post your mods please
Originally posted by BlackMagic
7.5psi with no intercooler is a lot, i would'nt go over 5 or 6

Couldnt do it if i wanted to. My wastegate spring is a 7.5 pounder. Well, minus the turbo, what have you guys do to make the crower stage 2 cams run right? How do you guys compensate for the extra fuel the ecu is dumping?
92945, RE: Crower 2 help, and post your mods please
Posted by grain, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
wow, you guys are giving terrible advice. thats normal if your running the crower stage 2 cams (not stage2 turbo cams) they have alot of over lap. dial some of that out and i bet your idle will improve, or get a standalone and redo the map to add less fuel at idle.
92946, RE: Crower 2 help, and post your mods please
Originally posted by grain
wow, you guys are giving terrible advice. thats normal if your running the crower stage 2 cams (not stage2 turbo cams) they have alot of over lap. dial some of that out and i bet your idle will improve, or get a standalone and redo the map to add less fuel at idle.

Thanks grain, hearing that gave me some relief. What is the limit I can adjust my cam gears to then? And am I correct to believe that adjusting the exhaust cam is out of the question because of the cam sensor?
92949, RE: Crower 2 help, and post your mods please
Posted by flamineclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by grain

I have heard people with Crower 2s getting around 10-12 hg @ idle. Maybe they had the turbo grind though. He said he's only getting 1-2 hg. Is there really that much overlap in those cams?

Oh, you don't like altezza's? Too bad, your gonna get a good look at mine.
92954, RE: Crower 2 help, and post your mods please
Posted by xcasbonx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by flamineclipse
I have heard people with Crower 2s getting around 10-12 hg @ idle. Maybe they had the turbo grind though. He said he's only getting 1-2 hg. Is there really that much overlap in those cams?

I can vouch for the standard Crower 2s having a ton of overlap. Stock timing on mine and there is a shitton of overlap, along with a very lumpy and rich idle (from the cams and raceport). I had to adjust my throttle cable to leave the plate slightly open enough so the car won't stall. I'm planning to dial that out though this spring when I can drive the car again.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1030
I generated this page in 0.010263919830322 seconds, executing 7 queries.