Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectinternal wastegate vs external gate?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=91925
91925, internal wastegate vs external gate?
Posted by rs_smoked_you, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ok i found a turbo kit and i can either get an internal or external gate but the internal is $200 cheaper and my ? is can i still run like 15psi with a boost controller? sorry if this is a dumb question thanks in advance
91928, RE: internal wastegate vs external gate?
Posted by xceler8, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I could be way off on this one, I'm only responding cause no one else has so I want to help. Figure out what your ultimate goal is for boost...you say 15, is that you final goal? What size turbo? I'm not sure how much an internal can handle reliably, but I do know that once you get higher with larger turbos, it will be a lot safer and easier for an external wastegate to be able to control the boost without creep or spikes, and a lot of the bigger turbos don't have internal ones for that reason. The smaller gates (internal) don't have as big of an opening and therefore won't be able to control the higher boost. If your looking to go bigger, more boost, I would go with an external setup. I'm upgrading my Deltagate now cause I'm shooting a lot higher, so my deltagate will be for sale this next week if your interested for pretty cheap. I've been running 16 without a problem on it for a while now.

If anyone else has anything different to add, go right ahead.
91936, RE: internal wastegate vs external gate?
Posted by ForceFed420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
No, you pretty much summed it up. Internal wastegates can work just fine, my buddy has a T3 with a .63 A/R exhaust housing with an internal WG and runs 12-15 psi daily and 18 psi at the track. Runs fine.

The advantage of an external is just as ^^ mentioned, it can controls boost creep a little better. If the opening on the internal is too small, the system will start creating more boost because the exhaust goes through the turbo, instead of out the WG. Typically, an external has a larger opening for exhaust to bypass the turbo, thus you don't get most boost that you want (say for example on a stock bottom end where you don't want more than x psi of boost).

They both work fine, but if you get an internal, you need to watch for boost creep, but as I said, people run internals with no problems all the time.

Brian
92003, RE: internal wastegate vs external gate?
Posted by rs_smoked_you, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
cool i think thats the way im gonna go probably
I generated this page in 0.0088579654693604 seconds, executing 7 queries.