Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectquestion about management and others
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=90682
90682, question about management and others
Posted by m2wengines, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey all, nice site, first time posting, we just bought a 95 eclipse cheap. Connecting rod broke and went threw the block and oil pan, thats not the issue as i am a performance engine builder but dont play much with imports beyond the point of building the longblock. So im just gonna list some of the basic things that we are going to be doing and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

-ENGINE
block line honed with arp studs
block zero decked for optimum quench
bore block .020 over (considering making a torque plate)
Deburred, crossdrilled and balanced crankshaft w/ notches cut at main oil holes to help force feed rod bearings
h beam rods
forged pistons .020 over w/ file fit rings
improved melling oil pump
aftermarket valves (possibly larger valves, dunno what kind?? any suggestions, havent had much time to look for suppliers as weve been busy pulling the motor and trans)
major portwork and combustion chamber work
turbo cams with valve springs (not sure on make and availability yet, feedback??)
adjustable cam gears
cometic head gasket w/ arp studs
egr delete
sheet metal intake manifold ( home made or aftermarket? OBX-R?? feedback?)
aftermarket or custom throttle body (any aftermarket?)
forget anything??

-FUEL SYSTEM
fuel tank is going to be rear sumped
all braided hose supply and return
big inline fuel pump and filter
fuel pressure regulator with gauge
hi flow fuel rail
76lbs injectors or 800cc (calculated to make 400 horse with 80% duty cycle and .60 BSFC (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption)
Comments?? feedback??
nology coil, wires and plugs

-TURBO SETUP
Custom home brewn tig welded header style manifold with seperate wastegate.
60-1 turbonetics turbo, supposed to make 450 horse at 10psi using appropriate plumbing (feedback??)
wastergate and blow off valve
madrel bent plumbing tig welded
front mounted intercooler air to air considering liquid to air...
considering using the liquid to air for its efficiency and the fact that i can still put the radiator to cool the liquid where the intercooler is typically mounted and run small water lines to the liquid intercooler inside the engine bay and have very little plumbimb from the turbo to the inetercooler to the intake as the intercooler would be located where the battery is (battery is gonna be in the trunk)

and finaly to control all this stuff i plan on using dsmlink, this is my main concern, is dsmlink easy to use?? is it good software?? is this all i will need to control my fuel and spark timing?? anybody on here use it, i really dont want to use all these systems that trick or add to the existing system, i would like to have an ecu that will run by itself that we can change from time to time...

and with dsm link am i still going to need to use this fuel cutout defender to make sure the map sensor doesnt overide the ecu??

will be running a true wideband probably from aem for easy tuning, probably an egt gauge as well and an oil pressure gauge in a tripod pillar

Anyways any help or comments or feedback would be well appreciated and keep up the good work and good to see so many people helping eachother out.

Frank@Mild2Wild Engines
ASE certified master engine machinist
90683, RE: question about management and others
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Your setup sounds great, and you know what you're doing obviously... there is only one minor detail you need to be aware of:

The DSMLink does not exist for this platform and never will.

Beyond that, you've got a good thing going. Start doing MegaSquirt research and you're gold.
90692, RE: question about management and others
Posted by Chamuko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ok, 95...gs? rs? right? With the chrysler engine?

Ill work from the bottom up, Like DarkOne mentioned. There is no DSM link. Your best be for the buck is Megasquirt. Or you could get some other "standalone".

Turbo

you look like you know what your talking about. There has been discussions on here that pop up now and then on intercoolers and water cooling. Lots of input and SOME intelligent comments on those.

Fuel and ignition

again, looks like you know the math and have done some research.
up to you on the fuel rail, so far the guys braking 400hp do not have issues with the stock one, I myself dont see why one would either.

As for the coil...not quite sure what your planning there.

Engine

TB go to howell automotive or modernperformance. They offer porting services or billet Tb's (60mm).

Intake manifolds and plenums, Touchy subject. Again lots of discussions and comments on both sides of the fence. Do a search, I myself beleive the obx and venom designs are garbage.

Also for the cams, there are several pages worth of discussions and comparisons in the "advanced tunning" section. Grab a cup or bottle sit down, get some eye drops and enjoy. Come to your own conclusion, its pretty much all you can do.

You have a stought engine in the making.

Stick around and share what you learn and enjoy 2GNT. You wont find a better source of info and knowledge then this site, well for our specific platform anyways.
90705, RE: question about management and others
Hey you guys are great, didnt realize the 2g dsmlink was for turbo's, a little new at this whole computer controlled thing... Ok so ill go with megasquirt, but will i still need to use this fuel cut defender for the map sensor???

As far as the throttle body i could set it up in my boring mill as we are a full machine shop but i really want something bigger, if 60mm is all i can get then ill take it but id like 65-70mm...

The coil is gonna be a nology coil and wires.

And i like the high flow fuel rail because it will make plumbing our new lines alot easier, weve done it alot before but usually on domestic engines and never had to do our own management or tuning...

Oh is there any aftermarket for possibly aluminum flywheels???

other then that i think we can pull thru this, i got the motor out in 2 days from the top, in miserable canadian weather, 1 day of rain, 1 day of horribly cold wind lol...

And now that i look at the simplicity of liquid to air intercoolers and how much less plumbing i will have to do i think i will do that but incorperate a ice/dry ice canister in this system so we can actually chill the intercooler before a race, the water pump for the intercooler will be run off a switch in the car and can be left on while the car is off, before a 1/4 mile pass... should be awsome...

thanks for the help guys and keep sending me help lol, ill need it, OH and IF ANYBODY HAS A BLOCK AND CRANK FOR SALE LET ME KNOW!!!! thats the first thing i need, will pay shipping.
90716, RE: question about management and others
Posted by Kirby, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by m2wengines
Hey you guys are great, didnt realize the 2g dsmlink was for turbo's, a little new at this whole computer controlled thing... Ok so ill go with megasquirt, but will i still need to use this fuel cut defender for the map sensor??? As far as the throttle body i could set it up in my boring mill as we are a full machine shop but i really want something bigger, if 60mm is all i can get then ill take it but id like 65-70mm... The coil is gonna be a nology coil and wires. And i like the high flow fuel rail because it will make plumbing our new lines alot easier, weve done it alot before but usually on domestic engines and never had to do our own management or tuning... Oh is there any aftermarket for possibly aluminum flywheels??? other then that i think we can pull thru this, i got the motor out in 2 days from the top, in miserable canadian weather, 1 day of rain, 1 day of horribly cold wind lol... And now that i look at the simplicity of liquid to air intercoolers and how much less plumbing i will have to do i think i will do that but incorperate a ice/dry ice canister in this system so we can actually chill the intercooler before a race, the water pump for the intercooler will be run off a switch in the car and can be left on while the car is off, before a 1/4 mile pass... should be awsome... thanks for the help guys and keep sending me help lol, ill need it, OH and IF ANYBODY HAS A BLOCK AND CRANK FOR SALE LET ME KNOW!!!! thats the first thing i need, will pay shipping.

You wuill not need the FCD for a 95, we don't have fuel cut, but if you want to do it anyway then I would reccomend the Missing link instead. For the TB you can go as big as you want with a custom setup. There was a guy on here that used a 70MM mustang TB, but you will have to make your own mani, although that should be easy for you. Now if you flow bench it and prove gaines then you should make them in production and make a million here on this board. For the fuel rail, whatever makes your life eaiser, but no need to build a hugely overkill fuel system, the choice is yours. I do not know that nology makes a coil for our cars, but the stocker is more than sufficant. As for wires pick a brand and go. For the clutch check the trany section for updates, My recomendation is Clutch Masters with lightned flywheel, but you have many options even dual discs, and south bend clutch has a great reptuation on the board. Good luck with the liquid to air setup, if this is a drag only monster it will be good, if it will be on the street, than I wouldn't bother.

90717, RE: question about management and others
Posted by Corbin, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If you are considering a stand-alone like the MegaSquirt, then fuel cut defenders and missing links are not necessary. When you don't rely on the stock ECU for fuel or ignition, there is no need to sheild the ECU from abnormal input (like boost). It might be best for you to start with a clean sheet design and remove the stock ECU all together. You can use the MS and some simple auxiliary circuits to control all of the required systems. It sounds like you have the skills and supplies to do whatever you want. It might be best to just dig into it and start fabricating. Most of us are confined by tight budgets, minimal tools, and the need for daily driving reliability.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
Now with more power and fewer leaks

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire
90726, RE: question about management and others
Posted by MR BLUNT 2gnt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If 450 is your hp mark a 60-1 can certainly get you there but your not messing with v8's here so your going to need a tad more than 10psi. If this is going to be a drag car your might consider doing a 2.4L build up instead of the 2.0. They are easy to find and don't take much rigging to get in the engine bay. The 60-1 would love that extra displacement.

With regards to the AEM wideband, i've heard very mixed opinions on this. My buddy , that happened to win the turbo4 class this weekend at the nopi finals over Scott Ballard, and I talked about it and his shop has installed a few of them on hondas with some sketchy results. After hearing this I ran it past a good friend whos one of the more liked EMS tuners in the midwest and he also thinks they are junk. There are plenty of good options out there, Zeitronix and the Innovative LM-1 come to mind.

At any rate good luck with your build.
90729, RE: question about management and others
i dunno about having to run more then 10psi, this turbo is supposed to move enough air through the appropriate plumbimg to support 400 horse and not have the air compress more then 10 psi, im sure if i were to stick with stock throttle body then naturally the air would get compressed more then 10psi?? i dunno im no turbo expert but ive talked to the guys at turbonetics and this is what they suggested...

And ive decided to use the forged 2.2L stroker crank, with eagle rods and custom pistons.

and the car will be street driven but is being built for the track, im hoping this turbo setup will spool up a bit later in the rpms to allow for nice low rpm econo street driving... but in reality this is just a toy to show that we can and have built import engine and by mid next year we are hoping to be sleeving honda blocks, i just really really did not want a honda, so i bought a dsm, its just the management that scares me, not the engine or turbo setup, but like i said we will pull thru, like we always have

and yes im sketchy about the aem wideband, i just like the gauge but will probably go with innovation as they are now on our suppliers list...

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming
90733, RE: question about management and others
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by m2wengines
im hoping this turbo setup will spool up a bit later in the rpms to allow for nice low rpm econo street driving... but in reality this is just a toy to show that we can and have built import engine

I like the idea of something you can drive like grandpa in town, but leaves you with the ability to break someone off a little more than they can chew from a roll if you wanted to. I'm thinking along these lines myself. Especially with the cost of gas these days.

Do us, and yourself, a favor and stop calling it an import. Granted, if you're in Canada, pretty much everything is an import (I've never heard of a Canadian car manufacturer.), but the 2GNT sports a Dodge engine commonly found in the Neon, Avenger, and Sebring. The 2.4L people have mentioned is found in the PTCruiser, Stratus, Cirrus, Breeze, Jeep Liberty and a couple minivans.

You sound like a sharp fellow, so we want to make sure you don't say anything stupid. ;) Welcome to 2GNT.
90737, RE: question about management and others
Posted by BumpinTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
crappy Canadian weather!? I'm canadian! where are you located?
90743, RE: question about management and others
LOL sorry i really didnt mean import, i meant sport compact... lol, but im sure you understood what i meant..

And im located in Ottawa.
90744, RE: question about management and others
Posted by 95venge, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Another thing, don't bother using a cometic headgasket. Mine, as w/ others', only lasted a couple thousand miles. Pick up the factory chrysler mls headgasket instead :thumbsup
90768, RE: question about management and others
Posted by GreenRicer, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You'll find its also helpful to keep the 2gnt guys updated with many pics!! :7
I generated this page in 0.016466856002808 seconds, executing 7 queries.