Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectanyone else blow out a lot of ex. manifold to turbo gaskets?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=85934
85934, anyone else blow out a lot of ex. manifold to turbo gaskets?
Posted by soulcontroller, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
it seems like i get an exhaust leak at that gasket every few thousand miles (like every oil change it seems).

i think im going to torque them down, let the car warm up and do it again while they are hot. anyone else have suggestions or have this problem?
85935, RE: anyone else blow out a lot of ex. manifold to turbo gaskets?
Posted by GSGoinFast, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by soulcontroller
it seems like i get an exhaust leak at that gasket every few thousand miles (like every oil change it seems). i think im going to torque them down, let the car warm up and do it again while they are hot. anyone else have suggestions or have this problem?

a gasket between the turbo and manifold? :shrug who does that? :P

I dont have one there and i havent noticed any leaks at all... uhh forgot to order that gasket lol
85939, RE: anyone else blow out a lot of ex. manifold to turbo gaskets?
Posted by soulcontroller, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
its the square metal gasket that comes with the HRC kits.
85941, RE: anyone else blow out a lot of ex. manifold to turbo gaskets?
Posted by RxR_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I used copper sheet.
85942, RE: anyone else blow out a lot of ex. manifold to turbo gaskets?
Posted by sike, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I would say one of the surfaces is probably warped, check them with a straight edge.
85944, RE: anyone else blow out a lot of ex. manifold to turbo gaskets?
Posted by grain, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
never had a problem with that gasket, i used to have a problem with the turbo to d/p gasket, no i have no leaks.
85947, RE: anyone else blow out a lot of ex. manifold to turbo gaskets?
Posted by BlackMagic, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by sike
I would say one of the surfaces is probably warped, check them with a straight edge.

agreed, but yea definately try to torque them once and then retorque them after a few miles of driving
85948, RE: anyone else blow out a lot of ex. manifold to turbo gaskets?
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The exhaust manifold flange is probably warped, letting that hot gas exscape by the gasket, which blows it apart after a while. A good idea above is to use that copper gasket sheeting. Since copper is fairly soft, it should conform to the flange irregularites pretty well. Only other option is to have the flange resurfaced, which sucks, since the studs are welded in there...I'd highly doubt the turbo flange surface is warped, since that is a lot thicker than the mani flange.
85950, RE: anyone else blow out a lot of ex. manifold to turbo gaskets?
Posted by customrsturbo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I use copper silicone. So far, no leaks.
I generated this page in 0.011590003967285 seconds, executing 7 queries.