Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectdoes anyone else wrap their charge piping to keep out heat?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=85474
85474, does anyone else wrap their charge piping to keep out heat?
Posted by 97grnRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
just wondering? i bought pipe insulation from home depot and wrapped my piping real good with it. and my filter piping too. i noticed it was absorbing alot of heat from the mani.. anyone else do this ? it looks ugly now but as long as it helps i dont care.
85477, RE: does anyone else wrap their charge piping to keep out heat?
Posted by GSGoinFast, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 97grnRS
just wondering? i bought pipe insulation from home depot and wrapped my piping real good with it. and my filter piping too. i noticed it was absorbing alot of heat from the mani.. anyone else do this ? it looks ugly now but as long as it helps i dont care.

wouldnt that just hold heat from the compressed air in?
85483, RE: does anyone else wrap their charge piping to keep out heat?
Posted by cartuners00, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
uhh... i think you would wanna wrap the exhaust and not the charge pipes. you wanna keep the heat in the exhaust(manifold, dp) and lower the heat in your charge pipes with an ic.
85484, RE: does anyone else wrap their charge piping to keep out heat?
Posted by eclipse_99rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You would think that it might work better after the IC because it would keep in the cooler air and keep the heat out as it goes by the engine.
85491, RE: does anyone else wrap their charge piping to keep out heat?
Posted by Ready4Dis, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm just ceramic coating everything :). Keep the heat in the exahust side, and the coolness in the charge pipes after the intercooler.
85497, RE: does anyone else wrap their charge piping to keep out heat?
Posted by RST95eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Why not just wrap both the exhaust and the IC piping? Heat will need to go threw 2 layers to get to the compressed air.

Maybe wrap the entire engine while you're at it too. Just playin.
85563, RE: does anyone else wrap their charge piping to keep out heat?
Posted by lickscissors, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
house insulation stuffed in every corner
doug
85564, RE: does anyone else wrap their charge piping to keep out heat?
do u seriously do that? ha to tell u the truth my pipe insulation is actually duct insulator . but it has a aluminum coat so it looks ok . ha. im runin my greddy IC now too but i left the insulation anyway. performance over looks i guess. .
85565, RE: does anyone else wrap their charge piping to keep out heat?
no i dont, just had the image of someone doing that and saying it keeps out heat....i have my manifold and downpipe wrapped, and a homemade heatshield...ive had mixed thoughts about wrapping my intake pipes...so i dont have anything wrapping them...
doug
85566, RE: does anyone else wrap their charge piping to keep out heat?
what are your thoughts on wrapping the upper rad hose? i was thinking of using some extra header wrap, but ended up wrapping my pipe under my oil pan instead....
doug
85597, RE: does anyone else wrap their charge piping to keep out heat?
i wrapped mine but i use pipe insulation once again. i think header wrap keeps heat in. i dunno if it protects from absorbing heat though.
I generated this page in 0.01258397102356 seconds, executing 7 queries.