Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectAnother problem with the turbo kit...
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=78002
78002, Another problem with the turbo kit...
Posted by bokchoi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
A problem after another...I thought everything was all set after fixing the rest of the stuff...but now the most unexpected dilemna comes from the turbo itself. The turbo is leaking greats amount of oil from one of five bolts. I tightened all of the bolts but it still leaks the same amount. Could this be a problem from the bolts? I used a washer before the bolt but that didnt help. ive also used teflon but no change...any idea?
78009, RE: Another problem with the turbo kit...
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What bolt? What turbo?
78014, RE: Another problem with the turbo kit...
Posted by Ducking_Fumbass, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
One of the bolts in his neck, Dino. ;)
78036, RE: Another problem with the turbo kit...
the t3/t4 from the star kit. One of the bolts that hold the adjustment for the turbo to rotate. SOrry, I dont really know how to describe it.
78040, RE: Another problem with the turbo kit...
Posted by eclipse_99rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You mean the bolts that you can take out to spin the compressor housing around?
78059, RE: Another problem with the turbo kit...
yes sir. Could it be a blown seal or something? I used teflon to see if it would help and it still leaks but not as severely. Should I just use slightly bigger threads on bolts?
78061, RE: Another problem with the turbo kit...
There is no way oil should be coming from any of those bolts. None of them enter the bearing catridge in such a way that coil could ever leak from them. You likely have a bad turbo, or a blown seal causing oil tro leak into the housing, and drain around that bolt. Check for oil in the IC piping, downpipe, whichever side it is leaking from.

A picture would help too.
78063, RE: Another problem with the turbo kit...
Sorry, I only have a camera image of it. Well, it was leaking from these bolts, but only the the bolt from under (cant see). Yeah, I thought it was weird too and I wouldn't have expected an oil leak from there.

78070, RE: Another problem with the turbo kit...
Posted by eclipse_99rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If i were you i would take it out and take it apart to see if there is a seal inside that is damaged. Dont put anyother bolts in it, all you'll do is mess up the threads.
78079, RE: Another problem with the turbo kit...
Posted by etx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yep, sounds like the turbo is blown.
78084, RE: Another problem with the turbo kit...
Originally posted by etx
Yep, sounds like the turbo is blown.

78132, RE: Another problem with the turbo kit...
fuckin importparts...and I just heard you got your kit from them Dino...gl with it. Oh yeah, how do I tell if its blown or not.
78154, RE: Another problem with the turbo kit...
I was also wondering if this should be covered up with a bolt or left opened.

http://www.geocities.com/bchoi414/turbo2

I apologize for all the questions but I honestly tried searching.
78157, RE: Another problem with the turbo kit...
Posted by tim97rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
closed/plugged, or use a barbed nipple and run a boost siganl off of it.
open=boost leak.
78158, RE: Another problem with the turbo kit...
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That turbo has to be rebuild. you need a t3 turbo kit with 360 degree thrust bearing. That turbo does not have and o-ring type seals, it has a piston ring type seal on it. The kit on ebay is about 80.00 but it must be a 360 degree kit. The rebuild is not difficult if you are familier with turbo construction. If you send it to a shop it willrun roughly 300. a shop will rebalence the turbo which is a good thing to do and the preferred method.

Regardless of whether your turbo was balenced as a whole or balenced in pieces, the rebuild can be done without rebalencing the turbo. The wheels must be re-installed in the precise location. If you have any doubts whether you can do this, have a shop rebuild the turbo or a friend ect that can do it. I just rebuilt mine at it cost me 90.00 for the kit off ebay. Takes about an hour.

Terry

96 Eagle Talon ESI....Daily driver

97 Eclipse.........
78159, RE: Another problem with the turbo kit...
Originally posted by bokchoi
fuckin importparts...and I just heard you got your kit from them Dino...gl with it. Oh yeah, how do I tell if its blown or not.

huhwhaaaa?

I got my kit from Wyatt, four years ago.
78167, RE: Another problem with the turbo kit...
Hey thanks for the help guys...and sorry dino, I swore I read a recent thread about you receiving something from importparts...I'm losing it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46098&item=7927899230&rd=1

Would this kit do, Star?

And are the turbos suppose to be rebuilt once you get them or something? I havn't witness anyone who ordered star turbo kits with this problem.
78210, RE: Another problem with the turbo kit...
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by bokchoi
Hey thanks for the help guys...and sorry dino, I swore I read a recent thread about you receiving something from importparts...I'm losing it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46098&item=7927899230&rd=1 Would this kit do, Star? And are the turbos suppose to be rebuilt once you get them or something? I havn't witness anyone who ordered star turbo kits with this problem.

No you should not have to rebuild it that soon. I did mine and it has been 2 years since i bought it. I just did it early to minimize center section bearing race failure. That kit is listed as the correct name but i would contact that guy, the bearing does not look like the 360 ours has. At any rate the inportant parts are there...bearings and seals. If your does not have any thrust bearing wear you can reuse it, but when you arepaying for the kit why?. I did on mine because i ended up with the wrong kit.

I would not go with this one....too many pieces missing from the kit, check out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7927560849&category=33742

See the additional parts here, there are more than nessasary but it contains parts to rebuild a lot of variations of the standard t3/t4. This kit does not have the 360 thrust bearing. The spider looking thing is needed in yours as well, its apart of the thrust bearing. Contact these guys for the right kit, i bought mine from them and they are a good company.

Terry

96 Eagle Talon ESI....Daily driver

97 Eclipse.........
I generated this page in 0.014662981033325 seconds, executing 7 queries.