Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subject acouple of simple questions
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=6364
6364, acouple of simple questions
Posted by 97eclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i'm fairly new here, and am thinking of going turbo soon, i just have a few quick questions: First, i now this may sound stupid, but what exactly do people mean when they talk about "when i boost"? isn't it set to a certain pressure all of the time unless you change it from under the hood? Second, i'm just thinking of going w/ a stage I kit and not setting it to more than 7 psi. i'm not racing at a track or anything. i have all stock internals and a stock exhaust. i'm going to change the exhaust, but will i be ok with everything alse, or should i get some other things. the hahn kit says that it runs on everything stock, but i hear about people screwing up their cars all the time around here. i need my car to last the normal life of the car, what should i do? lastly, i know about detonation and everything, is it really the big problem that everyone here makes it sound like, if so, how come the stock gs-t's don't have any problem and last a long time? thanks a lot
6365, RE: acouple of simple questions
Posted by cyan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
stock GSTs were built to be boosted, we arent. as for "when im boosting" that means when boost is actually present, the actual pressure is somewhat constant (not exactly) but you dont actually hit boost all the way through the powerband. you can drive a turbo car and not be under boost

http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

6366, or....
Posted by eclipsekaiser, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Similar to the H/A guys saying when I hit v-tec, the car really pulled (yeah right)...:P
6367, RE: acouple of simple questions
thanks for clearing that up, but as for how long my car will last, will it last the normal life of the engine with the turbo on and only boosting 5-7psi? are there any other things i should get to help? i know the hahn kit says you don't need anything alse, but i hear a lot about people messing up their engines...i can't risk that.
6368, RE: acouple of simple questions
Posted by cyan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
if you get everything installed, tuned and maintained properly, your engine will last a looong time under low boost. but the problem is everyone here seems to make one small mistake or another and it ruins everything. but the thing is, once you get a kit, you will more likely than not want to up the boost and end up building your bottom end and fuel system and engine longevity will no longer be a concern to you.

http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

6369, RE: acouple of simple questions
Posted by jZa, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Cyan displaying the evil towel now?
i don't think its gonna last the normal life of the car, but our cars can prolly last close to 200k if maintained properly (well, i just took that out my arse, but i know people with like 150k on the clock). I don't know of many turbo cars that last that long. Just look at the 4g63 motors, they are built for boost but they typically start having problems in the 100k range.
But there's no telling if thats just because they aren't designed to well or because of the boost, there's so many things involved and there really isn't a clear answer, unfortunately.

I'm sure other people here will give better anwers :)

javi d
vroom n' boom

6370, RE: acouple of simple questions
i just need it t last a good 90K at least. another thing is the problem w/ detonation, i know that the gst's are built for turbo, but you'd think that they'd have some problem w/ detonation if it's such a hard thing to avoid for us. how come they don't. if the ecu is why, then why can't we use their ecu's or why doesn't someone come out w/ one that can handle the added turbo and measure boost. is it because it is impossible to take out and switch a ecu?
6371, Shoulda read this sooner..
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>First, i now this may sound stupid, but what exactly do people
>mean when they talk about "when i boost"?

You're thinking of a supercharger. Since a turbo is spun by the exiting exhaust gasses, at certain throttle positions and revs, you are not moving enough exhaust air to spin the compressor to the point of compressing air. (spooling, as it is called)

>Second, i'm just thinking of going w/ a stage I kit and not
>setting it to more than 7 psi. i'm not racing at a track or
>anything. i have all stock internals and a stock exhaust.

You'll be fine. Out of the box, that is the way the kit is designed to run.

>the hahn kit says that it runs on everything stock, but i hear
>about people screwing up their cars all the time around here.i
>need my car to last the normal life of the car, what should i
>do? lastly, i know about detonation and everything, is it
>really the big problem that everyone here makes it sound like,
>if so, how come the stock gs-t's don't have any problem and
>last a long time?

Detonation is only a problem when you cannot supply enough fuel to stay in a safe air/fuel mixture. As far as the kits go, out of the box they'll work perfectly for the life of your car as long as they are installed properly. Bill hahn knows his shit better than anyone else when it comes to turbocharging the 420A powerplant. it's when you get guys like me that want MORE POWER (and more boost) that you'll see problems. When you increase the boost, you are adding more air. The fuel system output must be increase accordingly, or you will have a lean condition. Lean moxtures burn hotter, and the heat will cause damage to pistons (melting, cracking, etc)

So, to sum it up: If it is installed right, and you resist the urge to make it go faster, you will have no problems.

Get the Mitsubishi Technical Information manual for the 95-99 Eclipse HERE!
http://www.heavenz-not-0verflowing.com/files/dsmmanual.pdf
6372, RE: Shoulda read this sooner..
Posted by 99GSBBTurbo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
as long as you don't get bit by the boost monster, you should be fine..........

.......more boost...more boost...more boost...more boost:P he he he...you will be bit by the boost monster!!!!!!! YOU ALL WILL!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ball Bearing Star Stage II
"Power is nothing without control"
I generated this page in 0.0093019008636475 seconds, executing 7 queries.