Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectTranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=6324
6324, Tranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
Posted by Greg, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I just had to get my transmission rebuilt do to a spun 2nd gear bearing (The bearing over heated we think cuze of the wrong consistancy in the gear lube). We think it was caused from using the wrong fluid in my transmission! Unfortunately I learned the hard way and wanted to warm you all right away! The Mopar "Factory" fluid is a specially blended fluid DESIGNED for our tranmissions. I was using Mobil 1 75W-90 gear Lube.....Big NO NO!!.....The "Factory" Fluid is Mopar Manual Transaxle Lubricant. Part# is 04874465 and you only need two quarts. It's very spendy but WELL worth it! $14/qt. Here is what the back of the bottle says: "Unique manual transaxle lubricant specifically blended for the NV-T350 transaxle. Maintains shift quality and cold temperature properties. Do not use in other transaxles unless specified in your DaimlerChysler service manual."

P.S. Our Eclipses all have NV-T350 Transaxles (5-Speed 1995-1999)
6325, RE: Tranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Bah. They all say that.

70w90 is WAAAAAAY to thick. That was your problem... stock, it'll take the equivalent of 10w30 .. which is also what i think is called for in the owners manual. BTW, our transaxle isn't a NV-T350. :-P

Get the Mitsubishi Technical Information manual for the 95-99 Eclipse HERE!
http://www.heavenz-not-0verflowing.com/files/dsmmanual.pdf
6326, RE: Tranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
hahahaha! YES we have the NV-T350 tranny! hahahaha!

6327, RE: Tranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
LAST EDITED ON 13-Jun-01 AT 04:25 PM (PST)

Ummm.... No we don't. And i can prove it, as soon as i get the power back in my apt. It's in the technical information manual, the code for our tranny, and it ain't NV-T350 !

Ah. here we go.. i went and got it again.
Auto: F4AC1
Manual: F5MC1

Go to manualcd.dsm.org and look around in the free samples. You'll find it there.

Also,
GST manual:F5M31
GSX manual:W5M33

6328, RE: Tranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
Posted by Jason 95 GS Turbo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
if i had my scanner still..i could scan the tag off the side of my old tranny. It says NV-T350. We do have the NV-T350!!! it is the same damn transmission as the avenger, which is NV-T350. They all say it on the tag on the end of the transmission. I should know. i have had the thing out of the car and replaced twice now.

jason
95 GS Turbo
6329, RE: Tranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
Jason I agree with you 100% :) DarkOne must of just had a brain fart. Hey DarkOne! GO TO DETENTION!
6330, RE: Tranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
Posted by Phat99Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well what about SyncroShift from B&G? Can we use it? I'm still waiting for HRC to answer what they put in their RS...

DoN
'99 GS Sports Edition
Star Stage 2, CFDF Clutch
Greddy Manual Boost Controller
Greddy BOV and EVO Exhaust
Greddy TT and shift knob
AF/X Underdrive Pulley
AEM Big Brake Kit
B&M Edge Short Shifter
Eibach Sportlines with Tokiko Blues

6331, RE: Tranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
Posted by Jason 95 GS Turbo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hmm..darkone is right..according to the manual at least...it does say f5MC1. But, if you can tell me exactly what that means, or where you will find that on the tranny, then more power to you. if you look at the tranny, the most notable markings are NV-t350. right on the end of the tranny.

jason
95 GS Turbo
6332, RE: Tranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
Posted by Erik, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
rebuilt one, f5mc1 is noticed in the manuals I used (ALDATA, MITCHELS) also to be technical from 95 to 96 the trans are different and classified with different numbers and all.
6333, RE: Tranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
LAST EDITED ON 14-Jun-01 AT 06:20 AM (PST)

I actually have a spare tranny sitting in my dining room, waiting to be swapped in. I'll go take a look and see what i can find.

Sorry to debate semantics, but i wasn't sure where you were getting your information, Greg, and having read most of the manuals, i thought i'd let you know what i knew as the designation for the 420A's 5 speed.

6334, RE: Tranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
Posted by Armond30, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>Bah. They all say that.
>
>
>70w90 is WAAAAAAY to thick.
>That was your problem...
>stock, it'll take the equivalent
>of 10w30 .. which
>is also what i think
>is called for in the
>owners manual. BTW, our
>transaxle isn't a NV-T350.
>:-P
>______________________________________
>-Dino Yancey
>I'm so bad, i should be
>in detention.
>
>
>Get the Mitsubishi Technical Information manual
>for the 95-99 Eclipse HERE!
>
>http://www.heavenz-not-0verflowing.com/files/dsmmanual.pdf

Yes, our cars DO have an NV-T350 Transmission. take out your inner fender on the driver side and look at what is stamped on the side of yoru tranny in big letters :). Chrysler's part number and the manufacturer's part number are different, but it is the same part. New Venture Gear makes the transmission for Chrysler and Mitsubishi (hince it is considered a "performance" transmission) and their part number for the 420A series trannies are T350. NV of course stands for New Venture. go to www.newventuregear.com and take a look. our tranny, the neon 4dr tranny, and the neon sohc tranny are all grouped in as NV-T350 transaxles (available with 3.55 or 3.94 final drive and .71 or .82<if I remember correctly> 5'th gear) The special tranny fluid is wierd. it feels like 10-30, but it smells like Mobil-1 synthetic gear oil. I wouldn't take any chances 'though. I know how a burnt syncro feels :(.
A.D.P.
Bring it on............
6335, RE: Tranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
Posted by Patrick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Greg,
what is the ACTUAL year of your car? Also, how exactly did you spin the bearing? I mean I dont think any tranny fluid would prevent what happened if you try and downshift into 2nd going 80mph or something....
The stock tranny fluid from the dealership is the worst though!!! Sure its specially formulated for our cars, but not for the way us 2GNT'ers drive. I think you just might've opted for the wrong 'performance' trans fluid. I'd agree with 'DARKONE' and say 75W-90 is way too thick and that might've been why. While dropping in ma new Clutchmasters about 2 months ago the shop drained ma BG fluid and refilled my tranny with the stock Mitsu/Chrysler fluid, and shifting during racing or on hot days went to crap after that. I just dont think it has any thermal stability. Went to Extreme Motorsports here and got somemore BG and dropped that in and everything is great again, smooth shifting and NO missed shifts. Might want to look into getting BG synchroshift next time. Extreme actually sold me BG Synchroshift II, I guess the latest and greatest

Patrick

6336, RE: Tranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
Posted by Erik, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'd also add that it's pretty damn hard to spin bearings in a manny trans. Did you have fluid in it? Alot of honda's kill 5th/ overdrive gear b/c it runs low on fluid. BTW don't try to use a neon trans! totally diff. but the block is good to go:)
6337, RE: Tranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
Erik, You guy's are pretty funny! The Neon has the Exact Same transmission as us (NV-T350) The DOHC Neons have the same gears as us also! The SOHC Neon's have a different 5th gear and a different final drive gear. Also the SOHC and the DOHC Neon's have a different Bell houseing than ours. Other than that it's still an NV-T350 :)
6338, RE: Tranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
I have a 99 GS Sport, The Bearing basically desinagrated and there was only like 1/4 of the bearing on the shaft. My car had 23,000 miles on it at the time of the problem. So there is a big difference from the Stock fluid and BG???? Well after what I went threw I'm to scared to try anything else other than Factory recommendation.

6339, RE: Tranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
Posted by 99GSBBTurbo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Damn Greg...that sucks, sorry to hear that!!! ha ha ha...both our cars or not working at the moment:-) I don't think I'll get my car back until next week!!! GOD I miss her!!!! It's been almost a month since I lost her!!!

But anyway, thanks for the warning Greg, Maybe it's just the 99 trans that this happens too??? I'll be sure to use Mitsubishi's crap:P

Ball Bearing Star Stage II
"Power is nothing without control"
6340, RE: Tranny Fluid Precaution!!! Everyone Read!!!
Posted by speedracer21, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I used a dual blend of synthetic and regular oil 10/40 (castrol synthetic) and I've nevr had a problem and I was running nos at the time.
I generated this page in 0.011727094650269 seconds, executing 7 queries.