Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjecthow quick does your catch can fill up?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=60382
60382, how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by ecl98pse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
just wondering everyones catch cans are filling up. mine seems to be filling up rather quickly.(when i drive it hard)
60383, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by jsupetran, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i have not had any oil since the first week of the install. the first week was like two table spoons, but ever since then, none. i'd worry if your getting that much blow-by. how's your compression numbers anyway. are you on stock internals.

-------jezreel
hrc stage 1, sfmu, ml, prokits, egt, boost gauge, apexi tt, costum dp, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler

60385, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
not sure on the compression #'s, but the motor was just built a couple months ago. i'm running 28psi
60391, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by siueclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i will say this again.....
;
IF YOU HAVE ANY OIl COMING FROM YOUR VAVLE COVER YOUR MOTOR IS FUCKED

sorry but dont think you need a catch can to catch the oil.. it doesn't means everyhthing is fine.

nothing is fine. many motors run properly without needing a catch can.

think about this for a minute.
60392, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Originally posted by ecl98pse
not sure on the compression #'s, but the motor was just built a couple months ago. i'm running 28psi

28 eh? why dont you come up with a mods list to support this? i smell bs.
60393, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by turbo8u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by siueclipse
Originally posted by ecl98pse not sure on the compression #'s, but the motor was just built a couple months ago. i'm running 28psi
28 eh? why dont you come up with a mods list to support this? i smell bs.

you got problems, you gave me shit for no reason too. dont think you are all high and mighty when it seems to me you dont know jack. good for him if he's boosting 28psi.

if oil is coming out of your valve cover your motor is fucked? yea, ok....stfu n00b.

edit: back on topic. it could be just a spark plug gasket, i'd pull the valve cover off and check em out. theyre like 3 bucks from mitsu. other than that, you might have just put a little to much oil in when you did your oil change

(Edited: Don't call people names, no matter how much they may irritate you. It's not the place.)

_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca
60398, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by Eclipse2NR, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Not to be a nay-sayer, but I don't even think hahn could pull off 28 psi on a 420A... he never really stated what kind of eclipse he has, though.

1996 Eclipse RS / 5-Speed / Aerogear Body / Coated in Magnetic Red Metallic rev.2 / T3 Turbo Intercooled @ 8 psi / More at http://home.insightbb.com/~mgalyan/
Mark Galyan - Indianapolis, Indiana

60401, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by Mattchew, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hahn has ran 30psi before, Armond has ran 28psi in his 420a avenger. Running that high of boost is not hard it's getting the most power from the car at that boost level without blowing it up.
60402, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by gilee_8, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
wow...28PSI.... damn and I am so happy to get my car going at 5PSI... lol.

BTW, so is it true as he said ^^^ that if the motor is perfectly fine, then a need of catch can is useless?

THanks.
Gil
60407, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by Eclipse2NR, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Jesus.

1996 Eclipse RS / 5-Speed / Aerogear Body / Coated in Magnetic Red Metallic rev.2 / T3 Turbo Intercooled @ 8 psi / More at http://home.insightbb.com/~mgalyan/
Mark Galyan - Indianapolis, Indiana

60414, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by Mattchew, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah, a catch can never hurts. The main reason for a catch can; I THINK i remember this but the reason is for when a car races at the track if the engine goes it tends to send a lot of oil to the top of the egine sending it out the valve cover. The catch can does what it says; it "catches" the excess oil. It also has a secondary purpose is to catch the blow by caused when the oil pressure is too high.

I'm pretty sure that's how it goes but I have never had a need to use one so I don't know.
60415, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by pn0ymahal, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
whats mods you got for 28psi? what compression pistons you got? and do a compression check. You should not get alot of oil coming out, small but not full each time you run it hard.. Depending what gap your rings are set at also matters with how much blow by.
cool let us know.
Michael
99gs HRC Stage IV 8-Injector Setup
2GNT Member #32
60424, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by RxR_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It is not true that the motor is screwed if you need a catchcan. I only need a catch can when im at the track in auto x. Otherwise i have no problems. Even then after a whole day of auto x i only loose like a shot glass of oil.
I should reiderate. If you have oil all over your valve cover, and smoke puffs from the dipstick/breather, then YES your motor is proboly fucked. I also would like to see what you have done to the motor for a 28psi car.
60427, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
i dont understand why you guys think that oil (even a shot glass amount in 1 day) is fine?

i dont have any oil coming from my breather and never have. even on the dyno at 19psi of boost.

btw.. sorry for my rant above. i was a little drunk. hehe

james
60436, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by mkerley, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I can't say that he is definitely running 28, but I do know he's running a standalone and his motor was built a few months ago at a shop here in town. So, he's got the internals and ECU to do it. and it's not like he's boasting he's got more power than anybody, he's just asking for help...
60449, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by admin3, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I think that blow-by oil is probably a correlative as to the health and condition of your piston rings. It's very apparent that the addition of boost and its resulting pressure adds strain to those rings and can result in blow-by. Now, I don't think it's a "terrible" thing, nor does it mean your engine is blown. Before I rebuilt my engine, I, too, would get a fair amount of blow-by out of my valve cover breather. However, my compression was always relatively strong (above 175-180 across), and it would really only happen when I was boosting a lot, or driving real hard. As a matter of fact, a lot of my turbo 4g63 friends, with their stock engines also get blow-by and sport their own catch cans. It's not necessarily a big, big deal, but I think progressively, the more blow-by you get, probably the more wear your piston rings and cylinder walls are experiencing. Just monitor your oil (as you should ALWAYS do with these engines) and keep all of it in mind.

I know many people have mixed reviews of Total Seal Rings, but I use them, and for over 6000 miles of rebuilt HARD turbocharged usage, I haven't got a single drop of blow-by.
60459, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by Kirby, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I want to hear about the stand alone. Which one do you run, how did you tune it without base maps? Blow by and weather or not it's a problem all depends on how much your getting IMO. But seriously give up some info on the stand alone. If you have base maps for a certain type of standalone that could open the door for a large part of the 2gnt community to get it as well. So serve up some details already.
60547, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
O.K. compression check was good. 150 across the board. (8.8:1 compression pistons). the motor has exactly 1545 miles since build so i'm thinking its not fully broke in yet.

as for my mods there are too many to list, it would take a whole page. U name it it has been changed. i do run a stand alone by autronic.

siueclipse- u can call bs but i don't really care. if you want to come to kentucky i will put my car on the dyno and show u what is is capable of.
60563, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by pn0ymahal, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
150 on all four? what is your ring gap set at? the lowest i hear people got with 881 pistons .020 over is 180-185 ( mines 195 ).. but i guess the ring gap plays a role in the amount of blow by etc..
cool
Michael
99gs HRC Stage IV 8-Injector Setup
2GNT Member #32
60564, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Originally posted by ecl98pse
O.K. compression check was good. 150 across the board. (8.8:1 compression pistons). the motor has exactly 1545 miles since build so i'm thinking its not fully broke in yet. as for my mods there are too many to list, it would take a whole page. U name it it has been changed. i do run a stand alone by autronic. siueclipse- u can call bs but i don't really care. if you want to come to kentucky i will put my car on the dyno and show u what is is capable of.

im not saying its complete BS..

btw.. 150 is too low. your motor is broken in.
60565, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by thedawg, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah, I vote huge ring gap. Are those JE or Totalseal rings? If they're totalseals, the gap may have spun around on you.

Before I broke the cylinder walls, my catchcan was getting maybe a drop of blowby a day, and that's driving it really hard.
60567, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by ner947, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by siueclipse
btw.. 150 is too low. your motor is broken in.

the same thing has happened to me, he may have a crappy compression checker. i bought mine from autozone, and mine has NEVER read above 150 psi (it has read below 150 though! when my 2nd engine died, my compression numbers looked like 20-0-60-150), regardless of the car (2000 C280 Benz, 2002 Volvo V70, 2000 Volvo S70R, 2000 Celica GT, etc...) i put it on. could be a possibility of why his compression numbers are kind of low. maybe he's running a thick head gasket too and we don't know it, could be a dozen other things.

so to make a long story short, i know my compression is greater than 150 across all 4. it has to be. i think the most oil i've ever seen in my catch can was about 1 tablespoon in the first 500 miles of running my new engine. whenever i check it, my catch can is always "empty" (with a small oily film at the bottom).

anyways, having a fubar valve cover gasket or fubar spark plug donuts would NOT put more oil in the catch can. if anything, it would put less. if part of the valve cover gasket is broken somewhere, oil will either leak out the side and drip down onto the head, or leak into the spark plug wells.

Jason, i've had a similar experence with Total Seal rings. no problems at all. i guess Howell did a quasi-decent job while assembling my "new" shortblock in January of 2003.

one other possibility for having a catch can that fills up quickly is a broken PCV valve. imagine throwing 28 psi of air into the crankcase, with nowhere but the crankcase breather on the driver's side to vent.

that is all.
60569, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by thedawg, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by ner947 possibility for having a catch can that fills up quickly is a broken PCV valve.

That's what HRC says when you call them about blowby, every time. It's funny because they wouldn't ever tell me that I *might* have a broken piston... bought a brand new PCV from satan, they just told me to "take it to a Certified Mechanic". Good PR, I guess, but still funny.

60571, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
Posted by slodsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Only about three people in all this thread have said what makes sense. If he is running 28 psi, and it was built by a proffesional engine builder, his ring gap is probably huge. Does anyone here have any idea why you bust your ring lands on you stock pistons? Its an NA engine, ring gaps are very small on the factory setup. When I had my guts redone in my motor, the guy asked me how much boost I planned on running so he could set the gaps accordingly. When it gets a lot of pressure in there, and massive amounts of heat, the rings will expand as well as the pistons, when and if the ring ends touch and then lock, they bust the land off because it is like hitting the brakes on a piston. His engine builder probably gapped the shit out of his rings so he could withstand the boost, plus a forged piston also even though it dissipates heat quicker swells more, so with that amount of boost, his bore is probably slightly larger than what it would be if he had planned on running 18 psi. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt for one, he never called anyone out and said he had the fastest car on the board and he could rip all of yours apart, even if he does, James got mouthy and he didn't even start back at him, just invited him to come see his dyno run live and in person. Do some research on motor building, then come back and post when you realize that just because your car makes 180 psi, not everyones will when they are built for a purpose. :thumbsup
60596, RE: how quick does your catch can fill up?
the car makes a lot of power and runs great. i'm not worried about the comression too much because all the # are the same. if one or more was diff. then there would be a problem. the motor absolutely does not smoke at all. i run a five layer headgasket which might contribute to the compression #'s. and i did use an autozone compression tester so...
I generated this page in 0.016308069229126 seconds, executing 7 queries.