Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectBefore I start tearing down my engine.
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=58550
58550, Before I start tearing down my engine.
Posted by solareclipse98, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm going to start from the head down. Can anyone tell me the best way to get the timing cover off??
58551, RE: Before I start tearing down my engine.
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Break it.
58556, RE: Before I start tearing down my engine.
Originally posted by DarkOne
Break it.

Thats what we did the first time.... so is there really not a way to take it off without breaking it? i can't remember how much they cost i think like $20 or so... not sure..
58560, RE: Before I start tearing down my engine.
Posted by thedawg, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
2) Jack the engine so high up you think you're gonna snap the axle joints. Bend the hard lines out of the way and pull the bolts out through the motor mount tray.

3) Remove the engine from the car first. Easier than #2, harder than #1.
58562, RE: Before I start tearing down my engine.
Posted by 420AYE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yeah do like da dawg. just jack your car up as high as it will go, pull a bolt or two out, then lower it and pull another out. i personally broke mine off. :) i can hear my cam gears now, and i can see what is going on in there. plus, i like seeing the belts and gears.
58564, RE: Before I start tearing down my engine.
I just cut my inner cover right at the head line. This way, i can leave the cam gears on the cams and still lift the head off.
58570, RE: Before I start tearing down my engine.
Posted by thedawg, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Dino, you ever have problems with your cover rubbing against the cam gears? We had that problem on a 95... just ended up cutting another inch lower right against the motor mount plate and that solved it. Seemed like a lot of exposed belt, but I guess that doesn't matter unless you drop a hex key in there while adjusting the sfmu *cough* pnoymahal *cough* :+

Someone should fabricate some nice aluminum upper timing covers like on a 4g63. Nice easy project, good dress up item, and should be pretty cheap.
58573, RE: Before I start tearing down my engine.
Posted by pn0ymahal, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hehe :shrug
Michael
99gs
HRC Stage IV 8-Injector Setup
2GNT Member #32
58587, RE: Before I start tearing down my engine.
Originally posted by pn0ymahal
hehe :shrug Michael 99gs HRC Stage IV 8-Injector Setup 2GNT Member #32

wow some great idea's guys... I think i'm going to end up pulling the head off tonight.. or get started on it.... I think once i have that head off i will know whats up..

was talking to a friend of mine today and he mentioned he thinks i may have melted something.. *yikes*

58689, solar on lift and oil drained, -- progress.
Originally posted by solareclipse98
Originally posted by pn0ymahal hehe :shrug Michael 99gs HRC Stage IV 8-Injector Setup 2GNT Member #32
wow some great idea's guys... I think i'm going to end up pulling the head off tonight.. or get started on it.... I think once i have that head off i will know whats up.. was talking to a friend of mine today and he mentioned he thinks i may have melted something.. *yikes*

Here is the progress so far:

The new home i am in has a oversized garage with a chain lift... one of the #1 reasons i bought the place ;) wife thinks it was the kitchen so shhh.. I took the valve cover off and the intercooler piping to the intake mani... I also removed the heater core pipes and trying to get everything clear of the head... there is a puddle of oil on the back of the inside of the head is this normal?

I drained the oil.. it looks fairly black... scarry... but looks clean as well? No sign of milky oil... by the time i got her up in the air it was 12:00am and my tools where around everywhere and i called it clean up time... Tomorrow im going to drop the oil pan and take a look at everything on the bottom end and check for up and down motion... if i notice anything major I plan on just pulling the engine instead of just lifting the entire head off first...

I'm going to post an other quick thread on here about pulling the engine..

Any advice would be great!

T1 line in less than 10 days!
58700, RE: solar on lift and oil drained, -- progress.
Keep us updated.. take pics.
58704, RE: solar on lift and oil drained, -- progress.
Originally posted by DarkOne
Keep us updated.. take pics.

I would be taking a lot of pictures just difficult because i won't have my t1 line until the 22nd... so as soon as the t1 line is in i will be posting a lot of pictures.

I generated this page in 0.0091989040374756 seconds, executing 7 queries.