Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectabs IC Pipeing?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=55862
55862, abs IC Pipeing?
Posted by extreme97nt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just had a thought. Would making IC pipeing out of abs lower the intake temps? I am thingkig this because I dont think plastic would adsorb heat as much as metal. It is probably a stupid Idea but its worth asking. What do ya think?
55863, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
Posted by turbo8u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i think you should use bent alluminum piping with a high temp coating
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca
55864, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
Aluminum pipeing would reflect more heat than metal? I have chrome plated metal pipes now.
55865, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
alluminum disipates heat very well, its light... and with a high temp coating the air inside the pipes will stay reasonably cooler than the air surrounding it. make sure u get a high temp coating on it though....it helps a lot

_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca
55866, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
Posted by lickscissors, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I was just at ace hardware and thought of this today....would 2" abs piping work for intercooler piping?...im only going to run 5psi through a 14b.....would this be ok?...it sure would be a lot cheaper....
doug
55868, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
>I was just at ace hardware and thought of this today....would
>2" abs piping work for intercooler piping?...im only going to
>run 5psi through a 14b.....would this be ok?...it sure would
>be a lot cheaper....
>doug

im sure it would, ive seen people with pvc intercooler pipes so u never know :P whats abs pipes by the way? what does abs stand for..somethin bent steel? sorry for the dodo question, just never heard of that before

_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca
55869, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
Posted by Dirty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It might be alright for low boost settings. I also think its more lightweight too. I'm still gonna go with the good shit though.
55867, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Like JetHot coating, ceramic inside and out.

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Smooth idle? We don't need no stinking smooth idle.

Mods List:
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm
55870, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
abs is like pvc but it alot lighter and is black in color. Where is a good place ot get aluminum piping for my star kit?
55871, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
i made my pipesat a friends exhaust shop so they hooked up me. my old pipes were bent fence poles from lowes, lol i went out and bought a 6 foot pole and did wonders...but it was just to heavy or piping, wasnt needed... im not sure where you can get alluminum piping

anyone?
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca
55880, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
thats what i meant....would pvc hold up?...would it be too hot for just 5psi or would it be ok.....
55881, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
I would used abs over pvc. Supposivly pvc lets out toxic fumes.
55884, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
whats the difference between the two.....theyre both plastic right?....are they basicly the same thing, just two different kinds of plastics?
55885, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
Posted by Uberingram, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I didnt think PVC could take heat all that well. Am I wrong on this?
55886, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
Posted by The1Bill, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yes. You are wrong, Uber. :D

PVC can take well over 300 degrees farenheit. After that point, it starts to outgas some nasty fumes (oh no, might poison the engine!), but even then, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

-=B-=
55890, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
what is the air temperature comming out of the turbo generally....what is the hottest it would be?....how about after the intercooler?
55891, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
Posted by Uberingram, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>Yes. You are wrong, Uber. :D
>
>PVC can take well over 300 degrees farenheit. After that
>point, it starts to outgas some nasty fumes (oh no, might
>poison the engine!), but even then, it shouldn't be much of an
>issue.
>
>-=B-=

swe3t, thx for clearing that up.
55937, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
any answers to the temperature question ^^^
55940, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
about 200 dergrees comin out of the turbo is my guess

_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca
55942, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
so why havent i seen this setup on any cars?...it seems like a really cheap and easy way to make some ic piping?.... im going to deffinetly try it, what the hell.....ill have about $10 invested into ic piping..... ill let you know how it works when im done...(be patient :) )

doug
55946, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
Posted by Corbin, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I wouldn't even bother with it. Neither PVC or ABS is good for this application. It gets hot as hell in the engine compartment of a turbo car. You will have clamps on every coupler. The pipes will soften slightly as they get hot. The clamps will squeeze the pipe down as they get soft and weak. You'll come back a week later and all the clamps will feel loose. So, you tighten them. After you drive it some more, the pipes will get squeezed down even more. Eventually, you'll end up with pipes that are necked down like the middle of a coke bottle. I once tried to make an ABS turbo inlet pipe. It failed like I mentioned. You may find that ABS or PVC will work for pipes that remain cooler...like FMIC piping. I just know that it doesn't work for pipes close to the turbo.

BTW: ABS stands for Acrylonitrile- Butadiene-Styrene and PVC stands for Polyvinyl Chloride. You can purchase plastic pipe with higher temperature ratings at www.mcmaster.com

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire
55974, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
Posted by HadesOmega, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yeh I wouldn't use abs piping as an ic pipe in the engine bay gets pretty hot in there. But I don't really see any problem using it I guess. Make sure its thick I guess so it has room to dissipate the heat. you definately don't wanna use pvc because pvc produces a poisonous gas when it burns, and it gets pretty hot in the engine bay. also make sure the piping doesn't bend too quickly.

I think the best thing you could do to keep everything cool is to just get a scoop or vent for you hood.
55981, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
Posted by The1Bill, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Who needs couplers? I would use PVC glue and PVC couplers. Well, I would, if I wanted to go totally ghetto. ;)
-=B-=
55988, RE: abs IC Pipeing?
Posted by WIKKI, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I plan on using pvc to model my fmic piping, so that I can take it to the muffler shop to get some made. I never thought of actually using the piping.
might be a way to DRIVE to the shop. LOL
I generated this page in 0.014581203460693 seconds, executing 7 queries.