Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectWhat is so bad about the CF clutch?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=54344
54344, What is so bad about the CF clutch?
Posted by solareclipse98, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What is so bad about the cf df clutch?? I bought one of the high performance versions... I guess i should have done my research before i purchased..... can anyone tell me what is so bad about them?
54345, RE: What is so bad about the CF clutch?
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
They fail. A lot. They don't hold much power over stock. I've read, from guys that have taken them apart, that they use a stock disc, cut up to form a puck disk. I've seen them personally come apart while in use. Thura had all the dowel pins in his CF come out, and one shot through the case into the gear housing and was blown out the bottom of the diff housing by the ring gear. They're just not well made.
54356, RE: What is so bad about the CF clutch?
Posted by MotoFool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
true dat ^
54357, RE: What is so bad about the CF clutch?
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah, while at my clutch builder's shop, he showed me a Centerforce disk. All they do is use a stock organic facing on one sice of the disk, and then they cut up sections of stock organic facings on the opposite side. What a rip.
54358, RE: What is so bad about the CF clutch?
>Yeah, while at my clutch builder's shop, he showed me a
>Centerforce disk. All they do is use a stock organic facing on
>one sice of the disk, and then they cut up sections of stock
>organic facings on the opposite side. What a rip.

Oh grand... I feel like such a fool for wasting my money on a P.O.S. clutch... well i guess it's a lesson learned... I will try it and see if it works if it doesn't make me happy i will buy a clutch master.....

-Solareclipse98

54392, RE: What is so bad about the CF clutch?
Posted by Justin99RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
don't be so quick to be dissapointed....drive it first...i have had my CF dual friction clucth for 2 years now in excess of 40,000 miles and now several thousand miles turbo and it has never slipped once, its always takes the punishment i throw and grabs like a mother....my theory is that the people who have them "fail" don't follow the breakin time....you MUST go at least 500 miles without so much as 1 run over 3500 rpms...thats all that i did and it has been a rock solid clutch for so long....
54431, RE: What is so bad about the CF clutch?
Posted by The1Bill, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Remember the member who lost his car when his clutch/flywheel exploded? That was a CFDF. I have seen a few lose rivets and dowel pins. I have seen springs break and fly around. They are not well made clutches. If it lasts for a long time on your car, then you are lucky. I wouldn't want to play russian roulette with my car (or my life) by using this clutch. Failing rivets, dowel pins, springs, and flywheel explosions have nothing to do with clutch break in, either. Those are mechanical catastrophic failures that are a result of poor design. I wouldn't use this clutch on a car that I was driving to a demolition derby. I wouldn't put this clutch in a car that I was driving to the junkyard. I don't trust this clutch as far as I could throw my car. E-bay the clutch, and get a real one.
-=B-=
54437, RE: What is so bad about the CF clutch?
Posted by el2oCz, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I've had my centerforce for 2 months now. In my opinion, they suck ass. These clutch slips alot. The clutch starts slipping in 4th gear. Well mine does. :( If you want a good clutch, get the SPEC stage 3 or 4. I've driven a stage 4 and it felt soo nice compared to mine.
54440, RE: What is so bad about the CF clutch?
>I've had my centerforce for 2 months now. In my opinion, they
>suck ass. These clutch slips alot. The clutch starts slipping
>in 4th gear. Well mine does. :( If you want a good clutch, get
>the SPEC stage 3 or 4. I've driven a stage 4 and it felt soo
>nice compared to mine.

I will drive mine for 5,000 miles if i like it i will keep it if it starts acting funny im gonna junk it.... Everyone is entitled to their own opinions i'm going to give it a try for 5,000miles... i will go easy on it for 500-1000... I don't like to beat the hell out of my cars anyways... so we will see how things go.

54450, RE: What is so bad about the CF clutch?
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>don't be so quick to be dissapointed....drive it first...i
>have had my CF dual friction clucth for 2 years now in excess
>of 40,000 miles and now several thousand miles turbo and it
>has never slipped once, its always takes the punishment i
>throw and grabs like a mother....my theory is that the people
>who have them "fail" don't follow the breakin time....you MUST
>go at least 500 miles without so much as 1 run over 3500
>rpms...thats all that i did and it has been a rock solid
>clutch for so long....

How much boost are you running? Our stock clutches(just like a centerforce), can hold well up to 10 psi or so..I ran 11 psi on my stock clutch with 80,000 miles on it for a while with no slippage at all..
54467, RE: What is so bad about the CF clutch?
Posted by The1Bill, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I would personally use the stock clutch for now. I don't trust the CFDF not to kill me or destroy my car. To each his own, though. Good luck playing 1 player Russian Roulette, though.
-=B-=
I generated this page in 0.012176036834717 seconds, executing 7 queries.