Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectBreak in....
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=47302
47302, Break in....
Posted by ClipseRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ive seen this topic beat around some but must ask... Im completing rebuild and adding a stage 2 hahn system which should boost around 8psi... Anyone Break in engine under this amount of boost...
47304, RE: Break in....
Posted by ner947, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i have. lots of people will tell you that it's a bad idea to break in with boost, but i didn't think it was much of an issue. how are factory turbocharged cars broken in? as long as you seat your piston rings correctly and don't go to redline in the first 1000 miles or so you should be ok. i broke my engine in with a little less than 10 psi of boost (only revved up to maybe 4500 rpm's once or twice, TOPS) and my rings seem to be seated pretty well. i get good compression on all 4 cylinders and i don't burn any oil so i guess my method is all good.
47308, RE: Break in....
Posted by 97eclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
there is someone here that broke their engine in by doing a couple redline runs right off the bat. i dunno, but the rings have to seat by meshing w/ the cylinder walls. this is done by friction and them being worn down a bit by the cross hatch on the cylinder walls. i think matt just broke his in for 50 miles. i kind of lean towards this quick method, but yeah, nothing's been really proven either way, yet.
47309, RE: Break in....
Posted by dougie2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I broke in my engine pretty damn hard. 6-7 redlines in the first 10 miles. I drove quite aggresive and high revs up until 100 miles. Then took it easy and drove normal for a few days. My rings (JE) seated perfectly. Everyone has their own opinion about breaking in an engine... mine is give it hell!
47312, RE: Break in....
Posted by ClipseRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well I know one way is too get on a long straight road and go from 30 to 60 a bunch of times in around 3rd gear so it puts load on the engine. Park it and cool it down... Start it, warm it up and shut it down.... Then your seated. So I want to try this... But Im going to be pushing race season by this time and not going to be able to put 1000 miles on the car before red lining it (maybe 500)... Well I guess Im going to have to be the one to try beating on it right away. Anyone else have info and experiences...
47316, RE: Break in....
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My rings were broken in within 50 miles or less. BUT this is due to VT Engine's diamond stone hone they use on the cylinder walls. This is a fairly newer procedure to use for honeing, and it makes ring seating happen almost instantly. At about 115 miles on my motor, a compression test gave me 185 psi all the way across, dead on, on each cylinder.
I generated this page in 0.021000146865845 seconds, executing 7 queries.