Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectHow much Nos can I run?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=45590
45590, How much Nos can I run?
Posted by NightEclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Please read this story as I shall explain. I have a 96 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS with a 98 420A engine, matrix intake, racing transmission, 2 1/2 piping stock cat on no downpipe 3 or 4 inch tip, silicon hoses, ngk spark plugs, bosch spark plug cords, stock clutch. I am currently ranked #3 in my school as in racing i know 420a's are slow but i think my tranny makes a difference. top 2 racers are a 95 honda civic ex with a 2002 j spec high compression si engine swap in it hes ranked number 2 i say i probally got beat by him by 1 car and a half i dropped my clutch at 4 cuz when i drop it at 3 it goes down to 2 so i burned out alot. 1st ranked is a 89 5.0 mustang GT. I'm getting the pace setter headers with the downpipe in 1 week i dont got much money and I was thinking about nos just cause i know i am a junior and i want to beat the seniors so i can be ranked number 1. how much nos can i run? how do i use nos? and how much? Thanks guy id appreciate the support cause i refuse to let an american car rule the school. import scene must come back no haters it feels bad to loose to a honda so i need to know what i can do to my car to make it quicker i dont got money for turbo so dont say it i only got limited of time in highschool. ill take suggesstions on clutches, and stuff like that maybe cold air intake and stuff but i want also to list hp gains and maybe 1/4 mile time i can possibly do with some of the stuff and my current mods i ran 17 seconds at palmdale when my car was completely stock elevation is 3,000. please help me thanks. my aim sn is NightEclipseRS
45591, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by vegasdsmr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
search.... i will give u some linx on nitrous... but search, and spend some time reading..

http://www.burgerman.info/

http://ceisites.com/kegman/carbon.htm

http://www.dynopower.freeserve.co.uk/nitrous_oxide/

http://www.dynopower.freeserve.co.uk/nitrous_oxide/3runs.htm

good luck..

i wud get an afx underdrive pulley...
45597, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by EclipseRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You have rankings in high school? :wary
45611, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by 98Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
haha, we had something like that in my high school, only it was times down a super curvey road. I had the fastest time in school in my '89 porsche 944 turbo, it outhandled everything. We can safely run up to a 75-80 shot with stock internals, but I'd advise having an intake and exhaust, and porting and polishing your throttle body with a dremel tool is always a good idea. I don't know what my 1/4 mile times were with my 75 shot, but they were a lot faster, and I was trapping a lot higher. The only time I ran it at the track with nitrous was at an 1/8th mile track. That was against a car that runs consistant 8.6's and I beat him by a car... so I dunno. You might not have as good of results as I did, or you may have better. Either way, with 75 extra horsepower and a little bit of driving skill, you should be able to kill that honda, and hopefully the 5.0. Good Luck man.
45654, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by fullservie, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>Please read this story as I shall explain. I have a 96
>Mitsubishi Eclipse RS with a 98 420A engine, matrix intake,
>racing transmission, 2 1/2 piping stock cat on no downpipe 3
>or 4 inch tip, silicon hoses, ngk spark plugs, bosch spark
>plug cords, stock clutch. I am currently ranked #3 in my
>school as in racing i know 420a's are slow but i think my
>tranny makes a difference. top 2 racers are a 95 honda civic
>ex with a 2002 j spec high compression si engine swap in it
>hes ranked number 2 i say i probally got beat by him by 1 car
>and a half i dropped my clutch at 4 cuz when i drop it at 3 it
>goes down to 2 so i burned out alot. 1st ranked is a 89 5.0
>mustang GT. I'm getting the pace setter headers with the
>downpipe in 1 week i dont got much money and I was thinking
>about nos just cause i know i am a junior and i want to beat
>the seniors so i can be ranked number 1. how much nos can i
>run? how do i use nos? and how much? Thanks guy id appreciate
>the support cause i refuse to let an american car rule the
>school. import scene must come back no haters it feels bad to
>loose to a honda so i need to know what i can do to my car to
>make it quicker i dont got money for turbo so dont say it i
>only got limited of time in highschool. ill take suggesstions
>on clutches, and stuff like that maybe cold air intake and
>stuff but i want also to list hp gains and maybe 1/4 mile time
>i can possibly do with some of the stuff and my current mods i
>ran 17 seconds at palmdale when my car was completely stock
>elevation is 3,000. please help me thanks. my aim sn is
>NightEclipseRS
you have a pretty slow school huh?
45655, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I wanna know what a "racing trans" contains.
45681, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by KTECLIPSE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What does this mean (how's it possible)?

"2 1/2 piping stock cat on no downpipe 3 or 4 inch tip"

45686, RE: How much Nos can I run?
answering three questions. I guess u can say slow cars at my school but thats the point my school it dont matter its about pride at our school besides we are northern league champs in football which im in hehe so i feel proud that pride just goes around . so i dont really care about that diss. its about pride you just dont understand. and then about the racing tranny I have no clue what it contains inside i was working with a ase certified mechanic over the vacation he was cool with my mom so i got to learn how to the basics like oil changes and crap like that i didnt know how to do, there was a 280z or zx datsun he also worked there he had 6 cylinders with lots of power he said something about him only having a racing transmission and changin some differentials and he said a racing transmission would be perfect for a fwd car, he said I would be able to take off quicker and shit so i bought it for 700 bucks from this transmission shop supposely gears are restrengthen and stuff like that and our transmissions are electronic, basicly now with this transmission my car pulls every 3000 rpm like crazy its like vtec just not as much cause i got beat by the si hehe umm basicly before i use to be at 70 mph downshift into third and id be like close to redlining or around 6000 rpm now im at my tip of my power around 4000 rpm. its actually working great for me it seperates me from the normal non turbo eclipses. Its tight, and umm as for the exhaust comment I changed the whole piping of the exhaust to 2 1/2 piping but only up to the downpipe part i sorta took out the cat cause i want straight pipe but it was hell of a loud so i made a different muffler shop put the cat back on so its 2 1/2 piping and the stock catalac convertor back on to reduce noise and some horsepower as i just found out so i think i need a high flow cat. the muffler shop i took it to did take out the cat but i will not say who cause i know its illegal in california hehe. and to the other guys thanks for the help i appreciate the support, i gotta bring import scene back into my school which is http://www.marshallhigh.com thanks guys lates.
45693, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by SlowEsi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You ran 17's with a stick? 16's is average stock right?
I would get headers and a CAI before Nitrous, help it breath better, but thats up to you. If you really want to you could take your cat off AGAIN and gut it this time. Find out exactly whats in your "Racing tranny".
Good luck with the SI.
Your school isnt to big is it:p
45715, RE: How much Nos can I run?
you got ripped off with your racing tranny. He just made your gears taller, which is a bad thing...

45730, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by KTECLIPSE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sorry, I took your comment to mean you were running "no downpipe" to 2.5" exhaust pipe. I was thinking what is the point of running 2.5" pipe and exhaust when there is no downpipe. It was difficult to read and that was why I was asking. It didn't sound right to me. After rereading it, it makes sense.

Kurt

45864, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by nosdeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
just keep going till it sounds expensive. do you any idea what you are talking about with your "racing" tranny?
45731, RE: How much Nos can I run?
<top 2 racers are a 95 honda civic
>ex with a 2002 j spec high compression si engine swap in it
>hes ranked number 2 i say i probally got beat by him by 1 car
>and a half

..what is a j-spec high compression si engine, do you mean a 2002 jdm i-vtech si motor and if so, wow, ive only seen like 2 or 3 people install a 2002 i-vtech motor in a 92-95 civic(talk about expensive), if this is true that dude should be ranked #1 in your school by far and even in your town. in case you didnt know, there is a major diff in 2000 si motors than 2002 si motors(not your avg swap) especially if he really does have the 2002 motor, you wouldnt even come close to hanging with him. try 4 car lengths

... just get "nos" "and blow yourself to pieces"
45754, RE: How much Nos can I run?
that guy doesn't know what he's talking about, don't worry about it. For one thing, the B16 was a far superior motor than the "new" 2.0 liter SI motor, anyone who's driven SI's of both years will tell you that. And don't worry about blowing yourself to pieces, that kid has seen fast and the furious too many times. When installed and used properly, nitrous is a safe and very effective engine enhancement.
45757, RE: How much Nos can I run?
look mr. g-tech is my 1/4 mile time that i tell everyone i run... first off im not a kid, second you obviously dont know a damn thing if you think a b16 is superior to the new si motors,they both have there weakspots and rarely has anyone put one in a lighter car like the 5th gens.of course its gonna feel diff in a heavy ass car.....third ,fast and the furious was a decent cheesy movie and i was making a joke...get it
45844, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by Dualgen2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
a B-16 and high compression could beat your car. it might be close but depending on his other mods he should beat you unless your spraying. Dunno much about older Mustangs so I dunno if you could beat him spraying. Find out whats in your "racing tranny" cause if anything its probably a clutch or something. You dont have LSD do u? Wish my high school had slow cars. I had to deal w/ a couple Supra's and a crap load of BMW's and some Mustangs to. Now that Im outta HS I drove by and saw 5 WRX's in the lot. Must be nice having all that $$. Even the teachers and security guards got nice cars. (older M3, Viper, newer 3000GT SL, looks nice even though its an SL)
-Dave
45861, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Well i know my racing tranny aint a clutch cause the car does also sound like it has one my nephew has 2 racing trannys got them from different places on a supra and rx7 when he goes from 3rd gear to 1st rdy to stop its like a little toy running out of power sound didnt do that before its like a little Ddddddmnnmn hehe sound. my school is about 5,000 people in it just most of them are armenian have beamers, mercedes sell drugs and stuff....... but the racers are like latinos with hondas who think there fast, the guy with the si engine im serious barley beat me if all of u get a racing tranny ull know it feels different it actually grabs alot at 3,000 rpm like if it knows what to do with its 140 hp cause i got lots of torque and like a sucky 200 dollar clutch. so i guess the final theory to this is use 75 shot of nos? and how long per week? or how many times can i use it? Thanks everyone for the support
45865, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by nosdeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
just keep going till it sounds expensive. do you any idea what you are talking about with your "racing" tranny?
45896, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by Vandy420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Not to be a jerk, but have any of you guys ever seen "King of the Hill." I swear to God this guy is dale's son...

Racing Tranny? I don't think he made the gears taller if its grabbing like hell at 3k..woulnd't it NOT grab like hell at 3k if the gears were taller? Or do you think its just not pulling at all until 3k because the gears are taller? I know this sounds confusing but it actually makes sense: Our engines are pretty low torque anyways, but at 3k the curve starts to look up.

As for Nos, I'd reccomend stickign with a 50 shot. I've beaten MANY civics w/o nos, and a 50 shot is still alot but you don't have to worry about detonation as much. You have to ask yourself: Is that 25hp really worth it? A 50 shot will still waste the civic if you're that close anyways...as for the 5.0L mustang...you're gonna hafta go turbo or find a windy road to beat him if he can drive at ALL. From my limited knowledge of mustangs (My neighbor loves em, he rebuilds the old and races the newer)the 5.0L are the fastest drag mustangs out there short of the SVT Cobras. American muscle is gonna win again and again on this one, as much as I hate to say it...

matt

P.S. Sport Compact Car's new issue has a pretty comprehensive article on Nitrous..pick it up, and search this site because there are some guys on here who have talked about this topic in much greater detail then you're ever gonna need...:thumbsup
47633, RE: How much Nos can I run?
ok guys hehe u wouldnt believe this or maybe u will . Me and the si went for a highway run at his request he came from behind already downshift and gunnin it i was around 74 mph downshifted to 3rd caught up to speed and landed right infront of him by a car length cause of my fast reaction hehe he tryed cheatin trying to get a lead comin from behind well anyways we kept going i shifted to 4th and he started catching up he passed me by a fender at 120 i passed him at 122 hehe and took it the whole way stupid ex hehe i guess his car doesnt let him go pass 120 but it should i dunno his cars whack we breaked at 125 mph after we saw highway patrol hehe all i got was the headers and suprisiling my car had so much power left in 4th gear but i dunno if i can get power out of 5th i wonder. and i went to palmdale racetrack my first time ran a 17s when my car was stock it would be 16s by san diego elevation difference this time i went i ran 18s with real real bad driving. i need to go again cause i only did to runs if im still doing 17s i dont know ill get rid of the na and go with a 99 gsx . i got pacesetter headers.
47690, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by 1FastEclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Not to sound mean or anything but, Are you a Rice boy? :nono
47774, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by Blmet, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
alot of what is said makes little sense to me.

But at 3k rpm any and all transmission will grab real hard, that is when our actually power band starts to show up. If your rpms at 75 mph is lower than what is was when you got the tranny, then he made the gears taller, and that is bad for acceleration.
47775, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by juggalo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
maybe he put a lightweight flywheel on it.
47777, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by MetalJim, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm no expert, but plenty of people have gone with a 75shot.

....I think the guy on F&F who went with the big bottle was running a bit more.

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html
47901, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by Twiste, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ok people, im seriously fed up with people that take TF&TF so seriously! It was a movie. Everything in Hollywood is fake. I told a guy at my work that I had just got a bottle and he was like "OMG!? have you seen how he blew up his car in the fast and the furious? That is going to happen to you too!" Everyone freaks out when i tell them i want nitrous. They are all like "Dude you are going to blow your car up!" Im just like "You can BLOW me;)" Anyways...Start with a 50 shot then slowly move up to 60 and 75 shot. If you go over you might need more fuel, depending on what type of kit you get. Also you will need to rebuild if you go over 75. Dont go over 75 but keep it safe and stay around 60, that is my best advice.
47913, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by soulcontroller, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
better make it 2.

the big ones.
47914, RE: How much Nos can I run?
someone please get rid of this !!! please..the original post was garbage

HRC/Custom Stage 3 bla,bla
13.6 @106@12psi
www.Flawlessmotors.com
47919, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by Twiste, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
it isnt garbage because he wanted a straight forward answer. People just turned it into garbage. The bottom line is, run a 50 shot first then slowly move up. If you go over 75 shot then rebuild your bottom end.
47921, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by soulcontroller, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yea, i ran a 50 shot for a year with no problems whatsoever. if youre responsible with it, youll be fine. i really wouldnt go higher than a 50 however, at least on stock internals or without the proper monitoring gauges.
48363, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Thanks guys but My car is messed up really bad now im running 18s with headers, warm air intake, 2 and 1/2 piping 3 inch tip, Modified Transmission, power cables, silicon hoses for vac lines. Its suppose to be quicker here in palmdale I'm wasting a bottle of oil per week 6 buck castrol oil syn. so what I'm doing now is Rebuilding the engine to wistand a Turbo stage 3 I get started on monday. Its crazy how you go from barley beating a 5.0 to smokin one pretty soon hehe. Thanks for the help guys goodluck with your cars.
48401, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by jasonhko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yo.. if your running 18's, maybe its the driver??:wary ??
I heard of all stock running faster than that. Your not using those rims in your sig when at the track are you?? those huge ass things are gonna slow your ass down so much. get some 15's, and a little more practice launching, your get better times then.

-side note- : fast and furious was just a movie, people take it way to seriously sometimes... I can just see the flaming thats gonna come after the new one hits the theatres.:rolleyes
48456, RE: How much Nos can I run?
na it aint the driver its the car i use to run 17s when i only had a month of experience driving. and no I havnt ran with those rims i ran with the 14s just got the rims. its def. the car but its all good now im rebuilding the engine and adding a turbo kit.:)
48494, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by ClipseRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I can run seventeens granny shifting not double clutching like I should. (Lol, The F&F.) By the way how many kids go too your school? 4... Anyways, 75- 100 wet is what I would try... might be pushing it but gives you a reason to swap in a spoon engine (Lol, I kill myself.):7
48495, RE: How much Nos can I run?
Posted by 2g99RSNC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
if ur going turbo u might want to invest in stuff to help get u off the line. I would get some motor mount inserts,lsd,and some good drag tires or ur probably going to be spining most of the way down the track.
I generated this page in 0.016876935958862 seconds, executing 7 queries.