Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectIdea for oil dump line on custom turbo kits.
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=39400
39400, Idea for oil dump line on custom turbo kits.
Posted by Mystic511, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just a thought, but is there a reason that the existing turbo kits on the market have to drill holes in the oil pan for the turbo dump line?

Why can't something like this be used?:

It would avoid having to drill a hole in the oil pan.. but is it possible or is it just not as efficient as dumping into the oil pan?

Heh, found the pic on fast420a's site, so thank fast420a!
39402, RE: Idea for oil dump line on custom turbo kits.
Posted by MetalJim, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I wouldn't do it. There's not much oil flow through the turbo - much much less than there is through the the rest of the engine. Oil coolers need to flow enough for the whole engine. If they don't flow enough then I would imagine that something bad would happen.

The point of putting the "hole in the pan" is to get the oil pressure to the center section, then let it drain as quickly or as slowly as it needs to.

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html
39500, RE: Idea for oil dump line on custom turbo kits.
Posted by BeefGG, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What kind of lines are those? I want to put on an oil cooler but I thought I had to get custom high temp lines or something made. Like metal stuff, ya know?
39526, RE: Idea for oil dump line on custom turbo kits.
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Because the oil filter is under pressure. If you try to run your return back to the oil filter adapter, you're just going to be plumbing pressureized oil into the turbo with no way to get out. It'll blow all the oil seals in short order.

The reason it dumps to the pan is because it's a low pressure (or idealy, no pressure) part of the oil system. You don't want the oil feed to have to force oil through the return, as too much oil pressure in the bearing housing leaks oil into the hot and cold sides of the turbo.
39528, RE: Idea for oil dump line on custom turbo kits.
Posted by green3, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I wounder if you could use the oil drain plug??????????????????????:thumbsup
39529, RE: Idea for oil dump line on custom turbo kits.
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
No. faces the wrong way. You'd have oil pooling in the tube because it'd have to loop under the car, and you'd end up with similar results as plumbing it to a pressure source as the drain, though less drastic.
39540, RE: Idea for oil dump line on custom turbo kits.
Posted by Glacius, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
or, if you're looking for a motor to build, build up a 95 neon motor. It has 'pcv' tubes in the front of the block, right under the turbo, which beautifully double as oil return lines with no need to tap the block
I generated this page in 0.01029896736145 seconds, executing 7 queries.