Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectSFMU
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=33932
33932, SFMU
Posted by freddy_00_69, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am sorry if this has been answered already, refer me there if it has. Where can i get an SFMU? I am getting a stage 1 hrc kit and a greddy FMIC for upgrading it, and probably going to upgrade my fuel so any suggestions where to get one and which one for my setup to run about 12-13psi.Never mind about that question, the tubo should come with the regulator and the pump, right. I am a newbie so i am trying to get everything started to go fast.
33933, RE: SFMU
Posted by EvuLFleA, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Summit

Call pro street industries or one of our other sponsors.

Around $275-290
33934, RE: SFMU
Thanks for the reply, i appreciate it, i will try and look up the prices there. It would be good to buy one right.
33935, RE: SFMU
Posted by EvuLFleA, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well I have no experience with the cartech fmu so I can't really tell you the downsides of it. I know people with fuel pressure gauges notice the base idle pressure is always changing. I have seen a few cartechs go for $200+ on ebay lately and I got my sfmu for $140 on ebay so that could be very good for you.
33936, RE: SFMU
I just saw one on ebay also, so i am thinking about buying one off there. Thanks for the information.
33937, RE: SFMU
Posted by KTECLIPSE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I would not run 12-13 psi on stock internals with a Vortech SFMU, stock injectors, and an Accel inline fuel pump. Many people have blown ring landings at as little as 5 psi or as much as 10 psi. Also, the stock injectors would have to be running at over 110 psi fuel line pressure for 12 psi. (110 psi is for 10 psi) At this type of line pressure, you will have to look up the flow rate for the Accel pump as it will decrease at higher pressures causing a lean condition.

One member that comes to mind is Xtremers. You can do a search and find pictures in the archives to what happens to the ring landings when running such high boost on stock internals. He really knows the turbo setup (has helped me a bunch), has upgraded his kit to better components (SFMU, Missing Link, etc), and ran at 10 psi for a couple of months. His motor broke ring landings eventually. If you plan to run 12-13 psi I would recommend spending the money on a built motor first.

Even if you attempt to run this type of setup you will definitely need more gauges than what Hahn supplies. Hahn only supplies a boost gauge. I went the safe route and wanted air/fuel and a exhaust gas temperature gauge to keep an eye on how the motor responds.

Hope this helps,
Kurt
33938, RE: SFMU
I plan on getting JE pistons and either the Eagle Rods or the Crower rods to rebuild my engine. I am trying to get all the info first b/c i am doing everything at one time, meaning turbo, rebuilt engine, fuel setup(injectors, Vortech FMU, regulator, and Walbro Pump), rims, CF Hood, EGT gauge, boost gauge, a/f gauge, and etc. I appreciate all the help your giving me, i would rather be safe and know then just throw things on my car and blow crap up. Let me know if there is anything else i need to get for a good turbo setup.
33939, RE: SFMU
Posted by KTECLIPSE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Here is a brief list of Parts that I added to my HRC Stage II turbo kit to make it a more stable kit:

1) Autometer Lunar Series Boost Guages (Air/Fuel, Pyrometer, Boost)
Autometer Full Pillar Pod (www.optauto.com) ($370.00)

- Wire tap for the Air Fuel Guage Sensor is Wire 30 (not 31 as
seen in other posts - I double checked this in the shop manual) on
the upper connector of the powertrain control unit next to the
fuse box in the engine compartment. (May be different for years
other than a 96 GS)

2) 4G63 8mm Exhaust manifold studs, nuts, and washers
(http://www.roadraceengineering.com/2g16ginstallkit.htm
all the way at the bottom) ($1.00 a piece/$24.00 total (need 8))

3) Vortech Super Fuel Management Unit with Hard Spring
(Part #7X100-050) (www.vortechengineering.com) ($307.00)

4) NGK Spark Plugs BKR7E-11 (www.ngksparkplugs.com) ($8.00)
(one range colder than stock - stock is BKR6E-11)
(gapped to .032)

5) Missing Link 003 Fuel Cut Defender (www.group5motorsport.com)
($55.00)

**The websites listed may not have the best prices but had everything I was looking for at one site - especially the guages**

Other Parts Needed (can be picked up at a local auto store):
- Aerokroil (best penetrating oil ever) or WD-40
- Anti-Sieze Compound
- Teflon Paste (for fuel connections, don't use teflon tape)
- Schrader Check Valve (tire valve) removal tool
- Chrysler Oil Pressure Sending Unit Socket (1 1/16" size)
- Spark Plug gapper

I am not sure what you would have to set your idle pressure to or what calibration disk you will need to use in the vortech FMU as I am running the stock injectors for now. You may want to check with some of the stage III and up owners for this information.

The parts that I have included in my kit get rid of all the problems I have heard previous owners of the HRC kit have (with the Cartech FMU not holding solid pressures - this is a definite no no with a 12-13 psi setup - and the fuel cut defender (black box) that HRC supplies with the kit).

I would also grab a copy of the HRC instructions and begin familarizing yourself with your car - what needs to be taken off and where it is located. This will save you tons of time if you are doing the install yourself.

I may have forgot something but I am sure some of the other posters can direct you further.

Hope this helps,
Kurt

33940, RE: SFMU Question
Posted by Tytanfoxx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So from all these extra purchases, the HRC should be more stable right? So why don't they include these things in the kit from the jump. Update it the same way Bill Gates updates newer versions of windows every so often. HMMMMMMMM? since it's kinda strange that I would buy a kit and the majority of the components I cant use, I know they want to know what the customers think about the kit's drivability from day to day.

After buying all the extras I got a stock pile of HRC stuff sitting around my house, and money wasted-seems like the same story the give u on their site not to buy a GST. Hence this seems like a perfect argument for anyone wanting to design their own kit. Without all the excessive buying u probably would come out ahead on the prices.

96 Black GS
Fog Light Mod*Custom Built Foxx 2K2 Short Air Intake* Foxx 2k2 Short Shifter*Indy Sequential Shifter Knob*Grabber Green/Orange Brake Caliper Color Mod*(:waryAryton Sienna R*I*P Orange/Green Engine Color Scheme) Maxspeed Catback System*18" Konig Black Opal Verdicts wrapped in Toyo Proxes FZ4's*Front Strut Tower Bar*Indiglo Gauges*MT4 Indiglo Pedals*Eibach Sportline Springs*$$$

33941, RE: SFMU Question
Posted by pn0ymahal, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hrc has took into account all the parts we have changed for the hrc turbosystems for our cars. some parts they thinkg are better then what we use, some they are working on. all the 'extras' are what each person needs in order to run a safer setup..examples like... egt a/f etc etc.. the 4g63 studs etc are op...once you buy any turbo kit or so... that is just the start.. it will grow and grow...

Michael 99gs
HRC Stage 2
Stage 3 process begins anyone got a 420a block thats not spun/head for sale?

http://www.dreamwater.net/purplebeast
33942, RE: SFMU Question
Posted by Tytanfoxx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well I think I will go along with everyone else and change the things that dont work just for the durability/driveability it will provide. I dont want to be under the hood everyday. pn0ymahal u tried to tell my stupid ass about NER and I had my reasons for not listening, but u were right and I was wrong. ******I apologize to u in front of the entire board again for my stupidity and the things I said to u.When the deal went sour you didnt rub it in. I hope that u will accept my apologies and Thanxx*****

96 Black GS
Fog Light Mod*Custom Built Foxx 2K2 Short Air Intake* Foxx 2k2 Short Shifter*Indy Sequential Shifter Knob*Grabber Green/Orange Brake Caliper Color Mod*(:waryAryton Sienna R*I*P Orange/Green Engine Color Scheme) Maxspeed Catback System*18" Konig Black Opal Verdicts wrapped in Toyo Proxes FZ4's*Front Strut Tower Bar*Indiglo Gauges*MT4 Indiglo Pedals*Eibach Sportline Springs*$$$

33943, RE: SFMU Question
Posted by pn0ymahal, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
really you just need to change the fmu to the s-fmu, and get rid of the hrc mapper and get a missing link or vc-1/2. a egt and a/f gauge are nice to have if you plan to step on it dude.
about ner no prob dude. i have just been on this board since the 1st board.. back when it 1st started about so i 'sorta' know whats going on.. but hey, we all live and learn.
cool

Michael 99gs
HRC Stage 2
Stage 3 process begins anyone got a 420a block thats not spun/head for sale?

http://www.dreamwater.net/purplebeast
I generated this page in 0.010841131210327 seconds, executing 7 queries.