Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectWould you boost it?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=109727
109727, Would you boost it?
Posted by 0Boost, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It has been awhile since I have been on here. I have been considering piecing together a turbo kit for my car and wanted some feedback on the situation.

My car is close to logging 240k miles on it. I rebuilt the motor a year ago. (Actually, more like freshened it up.) I replaced all the bearings, rings, but reused the original rods and pistons and used brand new rod and main bolts. The head I had cleaned and resurfaced, and had a valve job done. Used an MLS head gasket and new head bolts along with new timing belt and pulleys and even switched to a mechanical tensioner.

So my question is, would you boost it? Or would you think the mileage on the block, rods and pistons would create a weak point given they don't seem to be too strong to begin with?

109728, RE: Would you boost it?
Posted by eclipse420ags, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
No, unless you like rebuilding your engine in a couple thousand miles. I would never boost a 420a on stock rods and pistons.
109729, RE: Would you boost it?
Posted by Fallen4ng31, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
A small turbo (T25,14B,16g) at low boost would be OK, provided your pistons and rods looked good when you pulled them.

Personally, I wouldn't boost the car. I'd keep it as an under-powered, but good-looking DD. Use that money elsewhere.
109730, RE: Would you boost it?
Posted by 0Boost, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That is what I was thinking also, just wanted a little feedback.

I am probably going to pull another head and intake manifold (unless somebody knows of a good aftermarket unit?) from the junkyard and just continue building a nice N/A daily driver.

Thanks guys
109731, RE: Would you boost it?
Posted by iNoise, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Boost it
I generated this page in 0.0084478855133057 seconds, executing 7 queries.