Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectE85 - What's My Best Option
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=108400
108400, E85 - What's My Best Option
Posted by Black Cotton, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I currently am set up witha rewired 255 intank, 6an feed and return, 3/8 bore rail, and 1400cc injectors.

I am finishing up a high comp stroker build, and am looking to switch my fuel system over to E85.

I am looking for my best options to obtain proper fuel supply.

Should I go with dual pumps 8 or 10an feed?

Should I go External pump 8an feed?

I have tried threads on tuners with no help at all as to what the 4g guys run. What do you guys think is the best route?
108401, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
Posted by 1slw97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
This is how i have mine setup... E85,2.2 stroker,1600cc injectors with GT35R.
108402, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
i assume you run both wallys on 6an, but when you "Y" then together i hope you dont stick with 6an, thats a massive traffic jam of high volume fuel.

if so are you running a stock rail? 3/8 bore rail? or custom 7/16 or 1/2" bore rail?
108403, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
thats a shit ton of fuel. matt has a point
108407, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
Posted by 1slw97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah it is all done in 6an line with a 3/8 bore fuel rail.
108422, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
Posted by halfasss101, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Jesus christ. The air resources board here in california would love to meet you guys. Lol I am interested to see this setup
108424, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
Tons of pictures around in this forum of my ride and many other boards....

also that post under yours did mark really write that in this thread? and it get deleted?
108425, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
Posted by halfasss101, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Black Cotton
Tons of pictures around in this forum of my ride and many other boards.... also that post under yours did mark really write that in this thread? and it get deleted?

No that's from an old thread a long time ago
108428, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by halfasss101
Originally posted by Black Cotton .... also that post under yours did mark really write that in this thread? and it get deleted?
No that's from an old thread a long time ago

Lol, hey, who knows, maybe that's good advice for you too :thumbsup But of course, then who would go up to Mass to get the E-85?

Also, I would go smaller lines to bigger line at the Y as well. Funny thing is when I made my dual Walbro set-up (in tank), I discussed my set-up with Tony Palo from T1 Race Development (the Honda guys would know him) and he wanted me to use the in-line after the the Walbro (as in single Walbro with an in-line pump). He recommended the A-1000 (which is the "standard" in-line out there). The theory (in a nutshell/laymen's terms) is that the inline acts as a "helper" as opposed to each pump pushing to its potential. That's the set-up he used for a while in his race car.

Just a little FWIW.
108429, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
is the A1000 e85 compatible? I guess my options are 2 intanks with separate lines, into one line... I just dont feel comfortable with 8an to 8an Y'd into a 8an. I feel like I would have to make that Y come into a 10an.

Or stick with the 255, and run either a bosch 040 unit, or A1000, which I feel could be the less difficult route, 8an out of sender, to 8an inline to 8an rail, 8an to regulator, 10an return.

What do you guys feel about these options?
108430, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
Lol, I just noticed I wrote that wrong on my previous post. I should have written smaller lines to bigger line. I did (2) -6an's to (1) -8an (Editted in the fix).

Good question on the E85 for A1000. I really don't know, but it would be easy enough to find out.

I'm thinking that -10an may be overkill. I know you need a lot more fuel with the E85 but when I made my set-up the fuel system was good for at least 800whp (as in it has been used in "normal cars" -lol- to achieve 800whp). I intentionally did an overkill system for my fueling for safety's sake.

If you do choose to go with the single line (which Tony used to run 9's with his Honda - but of course that was a "conventional" fuel set-up), you shouldn't need a -10an return line. -8an or -6an should do fine.

MB

108431, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
The only thing im worried about is pressure drop with too small of a return line.

I dont plan on making crazy horse power I dont think. The gt35r will pan out high 600s max, so no more then that I would have to say.

I just want a fuel system that can potentially withstand that; but like you said. Done the right way. With some leway.

When you provided an 8an feed to your rail, did you regress the 8an line to a 6an-3/8ntp fitting to mate to your rail, or did you make up your own/have made a 8an 7/16ntp rail?

I feel that the intank, with a larger "helper" pump is the better more efficient route to go. Most guys on tuners are suggesting double pumps with consistant 13-14v feed to pump. That seems a little sketch to me, I realize it's done however I would like to refrain from doing so.

When doing a search on Jegs/Summit, they state the A1000 is not compatible with Ethanol, however they do not sell the bosch unit so I am unsure of thats compatibility.

Maybe should I consider other fuel alternatives? I like the idea of the cooler burn with ethanol with the higher compression pistons over standard gasoline alternatives.
108432, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
When you provided an 8an feed to your rail, did you regress the 8an line to a 6an-3/8ntp fitting to mate to your rail, or did you make up your own/have made a 8an 7/16ntp rail?

Made up my own with -8an fittings. I ran a -6an return line on that set-up as well.

Yeah, I would say with the GT 35r, 6 bills would be appropriate. While E85 is a fun choice, it comes with its own set of problems.

If you are going to do any searching, from what I have seen, the ECMLink board seems to be the most informative on E85. I've also got a pm in with a buddy of mine out of Mass who races/runs his daily on E85. I'm waiting on him getting back to me.

108435, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
Alright, my buddy is running right around 400whp with his -6an line and a rewired Walbro 255. He's actually at 100% duty cycle on his RC1000's so we're pretty sure he's running rich (street tune on the safe side. Last time he hit the dyno he was at 397AWHP/400+ft/lbs while breaking up. So he is certainly at that or better now).

So again, with that being said, I believe that -8an with dual Walbro's will suffice (if you go that route). But like many have seen with the injectors, 1000's are not going to be enough.
108436, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
I have 1400cc injectors so I guess I will see how far I can go with those before I advance further...

on his dual intake, what is his set-up? 6s to an 8? with an 8 rail? and 8 return? OR what?
108437, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
I have 1400cc injectors so I guess I will see how far I can go with those before I advance further... on his dual intake, what is his set-up? 6s to an 8? with an 8 rail? and 8 return? OR what?

No dual set-up. Just a 255 walbro "rewired" (for more/cleaner electrical power) and a -6an line to his stock rail. With a -6an return line. I do want to verify that he is running a 4g63 (hence the awhp). But I'm thinking its the best comparison that I have to work with.

So I figure with his set-up using a single 255 and -6an, that a dual set-up with -8an would be fine.

Of course as you noted, your injectors will probably be the limiting factor on your set-up. That damn E85 needs some fuel, lol.

108438, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
I am really trying to figure out the most feasable and logical way to go about this.

E85 is scarce where I am, closest fill up station is roughly 30-35 miles away.

However a high comp high boost motor on pump gas isnt the smartest.

What other options should I consider?
108439, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
Posted by LD25Delta9, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You could look into meth injection...? That only takes a weak antifreeze mixture to run...or even water....

IDK, just a thought. Your setup is very similar to what I have in store for the season, but it seems like I can get away with what I have waiting in boxes. It's a good thing I haven't bought injectors yet.
108440, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
Posted by Slo2g, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by LD25Delta9
You could look into meth injection...? That only takes a weak antifreeze mixture to run...or even water.... IDK, just a thought.

Hunh? Meth injection is different than water injection.

You could run meth injection but you would have to fill up the "boost juice"(http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Snow-Performance-Boost-Juice-4-Gallon-Case-p-2848.html) when ever you ran out, or since this is not a dd car you could run race gas.
108441, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
Posted by LD25Delta9, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Slo2g
Hunh? Meth injection is different than water injection.

Only in what you spray into the intake....
108646, RE: E85 - What's My Best Option
Posted by quicksilver99, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Leave it to me to come crawling from the depths....
E85 requires 1.47% more fuel to make proper burn under power. Use .77 as your bsfc when calculating, as the "proper" calculation of 47% actually becomes about 30% in real life. Due to efficiency of the burn of ethanol. More bang per buck, even though lower btu value. Also, ethanol is Not corrosive like methanol. Both alchy but different make up. E85 worst problem is absorbing moisture. Like a bottle of fuel line anti freeze. Keep your fluids fresh in that respect. Now... I have to go hunt down a few ppl and make some wrongs right. A year and a half off the grid of society leaves a few unfinished chapters in ones life. Also- the A1000 takes to e85 just fine, ask mine after a year of running.
I generated this page in 0.0083279609680176 seconds, executing 7 queries.