Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectMy turbo build
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=107725
107725, My turbo build
Posted by Tuxdreamerx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ok heres quite a few pictures of the engine build so far.
Figured if anything they could be used as a reference for someone someday.
Pistons and rods I used (JE 8:8:1 and Crowers rods)

Oh yeah and when I got the car I was given this mess of bolts... Talk about putting a puzzle together.

Timing components on and I used a Parts dinasaur tensioner instead of the stock hydrolic for the sake of preventing failure.

Gotta have a pic of me

Now its in time

Its not custom unless you strip out the threads in the block and have to use a nut.

Port and polished head

Bottom of intake and MSD coil pack installed

Rest of intake and turbo installed

Oil feed, side motor mount and a couple of other things installed

Oh yeah almost forgot about the secondary injectors, they are conected to a digital injector controller that can be set for how much fuel is put out for every 500rpm increase, every 1psi increase and many other things, it can also function as a boost gauge.

Another shot of my fittings for the oil feed

other shots

Oh yeah I am completely bypassing my EGR valve with block off plates

More to come. I cant wait to get this thing on the road!
107726, RE: My turbo build
Posted by Slo2g, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
No timing cover?
107727, RE: My turbo build
Originally posted by Slo2g
No timing cover?

Nope I didnt have one with the car. All the under plastics will be in place though.
107728, RE: My turbo build
Posted by baconater3000, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx
Originally posted by Slo2g No timing cover?
Nope I didnt have one with the car. All the under plastics will be in place though.

Plastics? I hope you don't leave near a gravel road. First one...CRUNCH...Crutch it hope and maybe even pull the motor and buy a new one...Na just giving you a hard time...What kind of wheels did you throw on that car?
107729, RE: My turbo build
Posted by mitsu95023, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
nice, looks like you might have some left over bolts lol..... it really might be a good idea to get a timing belt cover on it though, but all in all looks good so far
107730, RE: My turbo build
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What cam gears are those?
107731, RE: My turbo build
Posted by Ebster1085, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Looks like a nice build man. Good luck!
107732, RE: My turbo build
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Its not custom unless you strip out the threads in the block and have to use a nut.

No, it is called being reckless with threading something into an aluminum oil pump, not the block.

Another shot of my fittings for the oil feed http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t94/tuxdreamerx/95%20eclipse%20TURBO/HPIM0597.jp g

Please tell me that is not JB Weld you slathered all over that. That is what threadsealant/Teflon Paste is for.

And did you run out of spray paint? Paint the damn bedplate.
107733, RE: My turbo build
Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx Its not custom unless you strip out the threads in the block and have to use a nut.
No, it is called being reckless with threading something into an aluminum oil pump, not the block.
Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx Another shot of my fittings for the oil feed http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t94/tuxdreamerx/95%20eclipse%20TURBO/HPIM0597.jp g
Please tell me that is not JB Weld you slathered all over that. That is what threadsealant/Teflon Paste is for. And did you run out of spray paint? Paint the damn bedplate.

I stand corrected it is the oil pump but I was not being reckless I tried to torque it to specs and it stripped.

That is threadsealant/teflon paste... I didnt have any tape but I had this from some of the plumbing work I did around my house.
107737, RE: My turbo build
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx Its not custom unless you strip out the threads in the block and have to use a nut.
Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx Another shot of my fittings for the oil feed http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t94/tuxdreamerx/95%20eclipse%20TURBO/HPIM0597.jp g
Please tell me that is not JB Weld you slathered all over that. That is what threadsealant/Teflon Paste is for. And did you run out of spray paint? Paint the damn bedplate.
I stand corrected it is the oil pump but I was not being reckless I tried to torque it to specs and it stripped. That is threadsealant/teflon paste... I didnt have any tape but I had this from some of the plumbing work I did around my house.

What cam gears are those!?

107734, RE: My turbo build
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Timing components on and I used a Parts dinasaur tensioner instead of the stock hydrolic for the sake of preventing failure.

Take some friendly advice and get a timing cover. I learned the hard way

Port and polished head

What port and polish? At the most I see a little gasket matching there.
107735, RE: My turbo build
Posted by Babbz413, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

Hey man grab me that bolt up on the table...no not that one, the one next to it...
107738, RE: My turbo build
Posted by baconater3000, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well said CODE. You should take a lot of advice on this timing cover..If it didn't need one it would not come equipped with one from the MANU. Nice build tho. I hope nothing happens to that Presidential solution on the oil pan-Oilpump. Good luck get some more pics.
107740, RE: My turbo build
Those are onsoku cam gears tim.
107743, RE: My turbo build
Posted by msl-man, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Did those cam gears come with markings for the eclipse or the neon? I know I had to remark my fidanzas when I installed them. Did you have to do the same for those?

I'm assuming your timing is set right. Can't tell from the pictures.

"And I say, 'Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.' And he says, 'Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."
107744, RE: My turbo build
Originally posted by msl-man
Did those cam gears come with markings for the eclipse or the neon? I know I had to remark my fidanzas when I installed them. Did you have to do the same for those? I'm assuming your timing is set right. Can't tell from the pictures. "And I say, 'Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.' And he says, 'Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

Yes they had marks. Also I had the valve cover off when I timed it so I also used the holes in the cams.
107754, RE: My turbo build
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Timing covers are overrated..........
107756, RE: My turbo build
Originally posted by bullettdsm
Timing covers are overrated..........

Says the guy that lunched the valves on his race engine when the alternator belt shot into the timing belt...
107758, RE: My turbo build
Posted by Fasttopass, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by baconater3000
Well said CODE. You should take a lot of advice on this timing cover..If it didn't need one it would not come equipped with one from the MANU.

The only problem with this statement is that the EGR valve, CAT, Fuel Shutoff relay, and a couple other things come straight from the "MANU",and they just get in the way, rob horsepower, or make things difficult for us.
107759, RE: My turbo build
Originally posted by Fasttopass
Originally posted by baconater3000 Well said CODE. You should take a lot of advice on this timing cover..If it didn't need one it would not come equipped with one from the MANU.
The only problem with this statement is that the EGR valve, CAT, Fuel Shutoff relay, and a couple other things come straight from the "MANU",and they just get in the way, rob horsepower, or make things difficult for us.

Most of what you just listed the "MANU" could care less about. It's the "gubment" and the tree-huggers that require most of those things.

Many of us have learned the hard way when it comes to running the timing covers, myself included. If it weren't for leaving off the timing cover (and an untimely house fire) My car would still be running instead of sitting for the past 2 1/2 years.
107786, RE: My turbo build
Posted by bluespunk, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Looking good Tux! You've come a long way with your car since your first couple posts on the site. Keep it up.
107803, RE: My turbo build
Originally posted by bluespunk
Looking good Tux! You've come a long way with your car since your first couple posts on the site. Keep it up.

Thanks, But you do realize this is an entirely different eclipse right? That last blue one was a NA build that I decided to get rid of, made some trades and ended up with this one. The motor was torn apart so I had to do some machine work, replace the block (Due to unmatched block and bedplate set) and assemble. Now I need paint. And 1000 miles so I can turn up the boost.
107804, RE: My turbo build
Posted by Babbz413, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Last I can recall you had like a black 95/96 Talon. Any other pics of this car? Perhaps in another thread I missed or something? Curious of what the paint scheme is. I see a blue rear kitted, silver front fenders, and what appears to be blue over spray in random spots under the hood.
107805, RE: My turbo build
Posted by bluespunk, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I didn't know you got rid of your blue one. I've been gone for almost a year. I've been pretty busy since I changed jobs and started working full time, moved to an apartment in the city and went back to college half time.

At any rate, your build looks pretty good. Glad to see you stuck with the 2gnt platform.
107806, RE: My turbo build
Posted by dalesmitsu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Nice build. I agree with the others put a timing cover on it.
107833, RE: My turbo build
Yeah I did have a 98' Talon base model but that was just a daily driver I traded that around and ended up with a 97 4wd exploder. I did have this eclipse while I had the black talon but I just bought a house in Jan and finally got settled in enough to start work on this again. The color scheme isn't what im going for. The car had fiberglass fenders and a front bumper kit but the previous owner destroyed those on a curb (Due to there stupid drop the front bumper is 3.5' from the ground Lowering springs on stock struts....) so they put the stock fender back on and gave me a brand new buddy club 2 front bumper, so I am waiting for taxes to come in so I can get it painted.
Here is a somewhat updated pic, The hood has since been re aligned and sits much more flush. Many of you will be happier with this front bumper versus my bomex that was on the last eclipse. I personally love this front bumper.
Sorry for the grainy pics my friend took them on his Iphone at work.

107837, RE: My turbo build
Posted by megaskillz, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Not bad at all. Personally I like that bumper better than the bomex. Are you going to paint the front end the same color as the car or are you going with a whole different color?
107838, RE: My turbo build
Same color as the rest of the car once my taxes come in but it will all be Repainted the same color.
107841, RE: My turbo build
Posted by megaskillz, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That's cool man. It's going to look nice when you are done. Good luck with your build.
107842, RE: My turbo build
Thanks. I just made a switch on my fuel setup from that stupid 2 injector thing to boosted60trims accel 30# injectors and his vortech SFMU. The 2 injector setup is great for 6 - 8 psi but I want to fun 12 to 15 without leaning out.

I have finally been learning and understanding how tuning works so most likely before too long ill go with MS.
I generated this page in 0.017837047576904 seconds, executing 7 queries.