Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjecta question about fuel and the 12:1 fmu
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=107247
107247, a question about fuel and the 12:1 fmu
Posted by Hedge, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ive done a bunch of searching and have tried to not have to ask questions while doing my stock turbo build but ive come to a bit of a road block when it comes to how im going to do my fuel system so i left it to the end to figure out. it is the only part that im unsure about at the moment.

I plan on running a kit ive slowly pieced together myself and will be boosting to 4-5lbs until i rebuild my spare engine.

Im at the point where im ordering my fuel system and was going to go with the 12:1 fmu and walbro but after searching and finding this site(it has to be somebody here, im sure of it)
http://dsm-ezine.com/sleeper5_stage_1.html

it seems id be more suited to a 7:1 fpr with the numbers id be running for a while. I havnt really came across anyone here suggesting to run anything other then a 12:1 fmu for a basic system and am a bit worried id run lean. Can anyone conferm this, or should i stick with the 12:1 to be on the safe side? Thanks alot.

107248, RE: a question about fuel and the 12:1 fmu
Posted by cs82685, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Jaime's project is also in our wiki...

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=420a%20Sleeper%20Part%205

I understand he did the math behind it and all, but at the same time, the 12:1 has been used for years by many. It's not going to hurt you if you use a 10:1 or 12:1 and clearly a 7:1 is fine too (if you read up on the portion about the sfmu he goes into more detail).

Even if you use a 10:1 or 12:1 you're very likely to not really see fuel pressures above ~115psi. So assuming a 12:1 rate with 8lbs of boost, your theoretical fp would be (55psi static + 12 x 8psi = 151psi but it's not going to go that high.

It's really up to you. Happy boosting!
107256, RE: a question about fuel and the 12:1 fmu
Posted by Corbin, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
From what I've seen, the real ratio of the 12:1 FMU is nowhere near 12:1. I think that is how Star users have been able to get away with it. I suggest you get a 12:1 and buy a lower ratio disk if you run way rich. And make sure you buy the "high pressure" version of the Walbro fuel pump.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki
107257, RE: a question about fuel and the 12:1 fmu
Posted by eclipserstturbo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
When mine was running, I went with the 10:1 and was really not satisfied at 8lbs. It was fine until I'd try WOT pulls and it would just bog down, A/F ratios way rich. In my opinion, you should just save up for a vortech sfmu so that you can change the disk/ring combo to get as close to the A/F you need to not flood out the cylinders or run lean. Also, when you throw your built motor in, you can just change out the disk combo for more boost. It gives you alot more options when it comes to fuel pressures at boost and has a really good reputation on our cars.
I generated this page in 0.014795064926147 seconds, executing 7 queries.