Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectfuel control problem, running rich
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=106741
106741, fuel control problem, running rich
Posted by hazard_eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i have 480cc injectors, 4:1 vortech fmu, walbro fuel pump, and APEXI Neo safc. it's still running rather rich in low RPMs with the SAFC fuel correction at -50. would an adjustable fuel pressure regulator correct this issue?
106772, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
Posted by dsmpowr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What kind of turbo setup are you running? Also what ohm are the injectors you're using?
106782, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
I'm running a Turbonectics T3/T4 V trim turbo, Turbonetics Evolution Waste Gate, with a manual boost controller. I'm running High impedence Accel 480cc injectors.
106774, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
Posted by eclipse982nrRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Are you using a Missing Link?
106783, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
yeah, I'm running the Missing Link but when i first got the car started again there was a vacuum leak from the hole in the Missing Link. I blocked it off. is it possible i have a faulty Missing Link? also i have a spare Hahn FCD laying around from my other car. would you suggest i go with that instead of the Missing Link?
106808, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
still need help
106830, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
Posted by 95eclipse420A, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
First off, return all afc settings back to 0%. the afc is just for looks in a 2gnt; it cannot control a map sensor. what is your idle fuel pressure? it should be between 18 and 22 psi. do you have a bleed valve on your fmu? how much boost are you running? what rpm's are having issues at? how much throttle? how do you know you're running rich? If you have blocked off the hole in the ML completely, then it will not work properly. Take part of a cig filter and put that in the hole, that should help some. Answer these questions and we can help you further.
106831, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
well actually it's not just for looks. it wouldn't even idle before i installed the SAFC. idle fuel pressure is whatever the stock FPR is. i never installed an aftermarket FPR. i just installed the FMU in line with it. no i don't have a bleed valve on the FMU. it's just a regular non adjustable Vortech 4:1 FMU. I'm running 20 lbs of boost. I'm having a problem from idle all the way up to start boost around 3000 rpms at any throttle. i know I'm running rich because I'm smoking black and it smells like gas and idling rough. also the wideband gauge is reading like 17-18 at idle. is there supposed to be a bad vacuum leak at the hole in the ML at idle though? should i just install the Hahn FCD like i was thinking of doing?
106833, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
Posted by adamzty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
also the wideband gauge is reading like 17-18 at idle.

That's lean, buddy.
106836, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
yeah, i just realized it may be reading incorrectly. it's been reading that way since i installed it. my old air/fuel gauge read lean to the left and rich to the right so i was reading this one that way and didn't think anything of it.
106834, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
Ok, you CANNOT use the stock fpr with larger injectors, that's way too much pressure(50 psi i think). You have to disable it and get either an adjustable fpr, or a SFMU, or switch back to stock injectors. The ML will not leak if you have a filter installed(aka: cig filter). If you continue to have trouble with the ML, then switch to the fcd. A tip on the ML, I have my filter zip-tied in so that it doesn't blow out under boost. Also, a 17-18 is actually a lean afr. You want to see around 14.7 at idle and while cruising. You want to see 11.5 at full throttle. Are you running any type of ignition control? You want to be aware of your timing when running 15psi and higher boost levels.
106835, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
ok that's the answer i was looking for. i was already thinking that the stock fpr was letting too much fuel through causing my issue. I've got my Aeromotive fpr from my previous Hahn kit sitting around that I'll use. trying to get this thing right has been a pain. i kinda wish i would have just put my Portfueler in this one.

thank you for the help on the ML too. i thought it was supposed to come with a filter but there wasn't one in the box. i guess i may have a gauge issue too then since it's been doing that since i installed it. I'm positive I'm running rich without question though.

as for the ignition control, i haven't gotten that far yet. i know with that much boost will come detonation. not sure which way to go with that yet. do you know if the MSD Boost Timing Master Ignition will work with our cars?

thank you for your help. i really appreciate it.
106837, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
I don't know for sure about the MSD. I am still learning about ignition. Let us know how it goes. I will be glad to help any way i can.
106838, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The SAFC does work on a 2gnt for small fine tuning. A simple search will prove Bryan quite wrong on that one.

14.7 at cruise.....another inaccurate statement. Most cars will cruise around 15.5~15.2 to increase gas mileage. EGR is utilized during this time. Do some reading on EGR operastions and you will find a lot of interesting info that might help you eventually in your road to tuning.

You will want to pick up a 1:1 regulator and use that in conjunction with your FMU. Zero up the SAFC Neo, Drop your idle fuel pressure to about 35psi and see how much you need to take out in the SAFC to accomplish an acceptable fuel trim on your logger or appx 14.5 on your wideband.

106839, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
yeah, i already know the SAFC works. i'm using it on my car. i went from my car not idling at all and running extremely rich to it idling and just running a little rich.

as for the EGR though, i don't have one. it's been removed and blocked off.

good to know where i need to be though. I'm gonna use the Aeromotive 1:1 that I have to correct it. thanks for the help.
106848, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
Terry, shut the fuck up and stop being a fuckin smartass. I am so sick of the way you treat people, you don't know everything. I swear to god i would punch you in the face if you acted like that in person. At least I'm trying to help the guy. If you have information to add, then do it in a productive way, not with your "I know everything" attitude. And I am very surprised that you of all people would say that a SAFC works on a 2gnt. the damn thing was made for a MAF, NOT a MAP. *YOU CANNOT TUNE A 2GNT WITH A SAFC*. And you shouldn't need one to adjust your idle with bigger injectors either. i run 450's at around 20 psi idle fp with no problems. My SAFC has been removed and put to proper use in a 240sx. ANYWAY, Haz, good luck with everything, and again, let us know if you run into anymore problems.
106849, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
no need to fight man. you both helped me so it's cool. with all due respect though i do have to say that the SAFC Neo does work with my 2GNT. i've seen the fuel correction with my own eyes. i was running so rich before i installed it that i was smoking out my garage with black smoke so bad i couldn't breathe. then i installed it and adjust it to where it is and i can now breathe while my car is running in the garage and it actually idles and runs without me having to hold the throttle open a little. there's actually a few write ups about it working on this site and how to tune it.
106850, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 95eclipse420A
Ok, you CANNOT use the stock fpr with larger injectors, that's way too much pressure(50 psi i think). You have to disable it and get either an adjustable fpr, or a SFMU, or switch back to stock injectors.

Dude, WTF are you talking about? This is the second time in this thread I've seen you give incorrect information.

yes, the SAFC works on the 2GNT. yes, the SAFC works with a MAP sensor.

yes, you can use the stock FPR with a VROG fuel pressure riser and an SAFC to lean them down. 480's are a bit on the large size for SAFC correction, which may explain why you're running rich, but I idled 440's on a 3:1 riser with nothing more than an SAFC for correction for *years*.
106851, RE: fuel control problem, running rich
yeah i already pretty much knew that when i reached the end of the adjustment range on the SAFC and it was still rich that i may have to lower fuel pressure. i just kinda wanted to get a second opinion on the matter.
I generated this page in 0.012824058532715 seconds, executing 7 queries.