Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subject? on Treadstone Egt Bung
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=104072
104072, ? on Treadstone Egt Bung
Posted by 96TurboGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Wud up guys i got a quick question on the treadstone EGT port that's mounted on the down pipe next to the turbo in the tread stone kit. I picked up the cool autometer gauge and was wondering how many degrees different do you guys think it would be compared to if it were mounted on the manifold? when i cruise around 40mph egt will be around 1080, and i figure that's a bit low.

The closes post I could find was this but did not answer my question:

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=3681&mode=full
104089, RE: ? on Treadstone Egt Bung
Posted by justins71, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm a little curious on this one also, as I have my DP tapped on the elbow right out of the turbo, so the sensor is pointing about right into the turbing exit. I've wondered if it's not better to tap the exhaust manifold runner, as some have done.
104093, RE: ? on Treadstone Egt Bung
Posted by foggy45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the true purpose of the EGT gauge is to tell you the temp inside the combustion chamber, as that is the most critical for tuning your fuel supply. since we cant visually look in the chamber during combustion to see flame color we have to rely on AFR's and EGT's for tuning

the closer the probe is to the chamber (1"- 1.5") the faster you can tell when things change. as internals start to melt at *1600, if your pushing your setup you want to know how close to the edge your running.

generally since some energy has been expended on the turbine, unless you can find the exact temp drop across the trubine (which is dynamic and dependent on ambient air temp, efficiency, and heat soak of the engine itself etc) you will not be able to truly monitor the temps and they wont react fast enough for you to see that somthing is going wrong.

example. the TRE exhaust probe is one of the fastest reacting probes out there. When properly placed, it can register exhaust temp changes during a shift
104095, RE: ? on Treadstone Egt Bung
I am well aware of everything you have said. I know that there is a heat loss between the manifold and where the EGT is mounted due to the turbo cooling stuff down. I have EGT and wideband and when I boost to 10 psi im seeing air/fuel reading of about 12.1-12.3 with egt readings of about 1400. How much heat loss to a degree do yall think it is by the time it reaches the down pipe? Does my egt temps and my wideband readings look about right? Because I read they should be under 12
104101, RE: ? on Treadstone Egt Bung
Posted by justins71, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That's about where mine sit. anywhere from 800 idle, 11-1200 hwy driving, and 1400 WOT on 11.8:1 @ 16 psi. Those temps are hugely dependent on timing as well, not just fuel, as you prolly know
104102, RE: ? on Treadstone Egt Bung
Originally posted by justins71
That's about where mine sit. anywhere from 800 idle, 11-1200 hwy driving, and 1400 WOT on 11.8:1 @ 16 psi. Those temps are hugely dependent on timing as well, not just fuel, as you prolly know

Yea true dat, as soon hit 10 psi on my 62 trim i was getting that number from my 440’s, so I upped the fuel pressure a little on sfmu and subtracted on the safc at idle and now im getting 11:4.1 @ WOT and noticed a huge difference on the pull. I need stay off the boost cause it eats gas like a bitch. I guess I will let off the gas whenever I see 1500 degrees.
I generated this page in 0.0090939998626709 seconds, executing 7 queries.