Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectboost control
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=103208
103208, boost control
Posted by 95eclipseSlow, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i made one of those homeade boost controllers. Today i finally drove my car for the first time under boost. I only want to run 8psi and i had to keep letting off because the boost keep going way over 8. What ever i did to the boost controller didnt do anything to the amount of boost. I also have an external wastegate with a 6psi spring in it. Im pretty sure the boost controller is set up right. I have no vacuum leaks whatsoever. Any ideas/suggestions?
103209, RE: boost control
Posted by 2GeclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
First, i would take it off.

Next, i'd look into shimming your wastegate to hold 8 psi with some thin washers.

You must have done something wrong. Maybe too weak a spring in the controller or the ball is out of round or maybe your ball seat is out of round. Did you check it before installing it?
103210, RE: boost control
Posted by quicksilver99, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
sounds to me like the thing is stuck, if I understand right your talkin about the ones with the little ball and spring inside? also refered to as a Grainger valve (old turbo dodge trick).

tighten= more boost

loosen=less boost

always start with it loosened all the way, I make these all the time for small boost car's (under 20 PSI) and they work great if they're set up right.

Also if you have it facing the wrong way then you will see the same prob because it becomes a check valve and the wastegate see's no "boost" signal at all. ball side should go towards the vaccum source.

How about some pics so we can see what you've done? it'll help us help you...
103219, RE: boost control
ill get some pics up later. My boost controller is hooked up as follows: the ball side is connected to the turbo and the bottom part is connected to the wastegate. Thats how you said to hook it up too. I had it really loose yesterday and it still wanted to go over 10
103220, RE: boost control

the hose across from the screw goes to the turbo. the hose that goes down goes to the WG.
103221, RE: boost control
should i just disconnect the hoses to the controller and just run one line from the turbo comp. housing to the wastegate? I have a 6 pound spring so my boost should be at 6 or below it because of the big fmic. Correct?
103228, RE: boost control
unhooked it and car runs good problem solved. Shitty mbc.
103241, RE: boost control
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 95eclipseSlow
unhooked it and car runs good problem solved. Shitty mbc.

For the record, is the ball side facing the screw, or the "bottom" nipple (left side in your pic)? if it's not facing the nipple, your ball and spring are backwards. if it is, you're using too hard of a spring in the MBC.
103268, RE: boost control
the ball isnt against the screw and i have a less tense spring in it. so i dont know whats going on with it. where can i find a good one that will hold in the 20lbs of boost? i have to upgrade
103272, RE: boost control
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Buy a Joe P. from boostcontroller.com
103289, RE: boost control
Posted by quicksilver99, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If ya can wait till I get home from pennsylvania I can have one on the way by the 24th for $25 that will work from 0-20 psi over your wastegate. IM me if your interested.
I generated this page in 0.013538837432861 seconds, executing 7 queries.