Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectRE: She's alive! (pics and video)
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=97059&mesg_id=97265
97265, RE: She's alive! (pics and video)
Posted by dougie2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Long day.

We found out today that the tensioner itself did not fail. It was simply installed incorrectly. The instructions that come with the tensioner SUCK.

So... after we re-adjusted the tensioner and fixed that problem, the engine would only run on 2 cylinders. We started changing stuff (coil, wires, plugs, etc.) but it starting firing on all 4 out of nowhere. Hmmm... strange.

So... then we take it out for a drive and everything is good except for the fact that it sputters and goes lean right before 100 kpa (between 5 and 0 in. hg.). The problem is that no matter how much I add to the VE table, the will not richen up for anything in the world (even if I bump REQ_FUEL to 10.0 and increase VE values to 140). At that point I thought maybe the overlap from the Crane 0018 cams was the problem. We took out some overlap (intake +4 and exhaust -2). The engine really liked that a lot but the sputtering and going lean still occured right before 100 kpa. Note that it is so bad that the engine will not accelerate into boost at all. Very irritating.

I really think this is an ignition related issue. The ignition has not been changed at all since last motor was removed, and it worked fine before. Adjusting the dwell did not help and neither did adjusting the spark advance up/down. I do know that I have a weak battery-to-chassis ground and I'm now running a super small battery (it's essentially a motorcycle battery). I tried different plugs today as well and that didn't help. They did seem to foul out quickly all day though.

I guess we're going to go ahead and install a Crane Fireball ignition and swap in a new Mitsu ignitor too. While we're at it, might as well re-install a full size battery and relocate to the back hatch area. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Any insight guys? It's my understanding that ignition issues can make it appear to be running lean and this is an ignition issue and not a fuel issue. Remember, no matter how much I add to the VE table, the will not richen up.
I generated this page in 0.01171612739563 seconds, executing 6 queries.