Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subject...the tow truck ride wasn't too bad (time for rebuild)
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=35251&mesg_id=35251
35251, ...the tow truck ride wasn't too bad (time for rebuild)
Posted by ner947, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
so yeah, i finally joined the club. the "i blew a piston ring landing" club. i wasn't running lean, my egt's were well below 1600, and i wasn't really pushing the car much at all. yesterday, i finally got to stage 2 and today my engine tweaked. i was at about 5500 rpm's at WOT boosting about 8 psi onto a highway in 3rd gear, i heard a weird noize, the rpm's weren't climbing anymore, so i hit the clutch and let the throttle back to 0%. idle was shit, and my check engine light started blinking, while the car was on. i pulled into a parking lot, pulled out my oil dipstick, and little puffs of white smoke were coming out. i tried to drive back home, but didn't get too far. called AAA and got towed all the way from belmont down rt. 2 to my house in stow. i thought of taking a picture of the white smoke coming out of the dipstick tube it and labeling it "OWN3D!!!" but i didn't have a camera on me. anyways, i guess it's a good excuse to finally get forged pistons and rods. i'm gonna do a compression check later today to find out which piston ring landing is gone. maybe i'll do a leakdown test too. anyways, i'm pretty pissed, my car definately hates me, and i barely have enough cash for new pistons and rods. most people get the bottom end rebuild kit from howell, but what i need to know is:

-i recently got a new factory rebuilt engine, in may. do i still need to take my block to a machine shop to get it bored over to ensure that the cylinder walls are completely round?

-where is the best place to order a low compression rebuild kit? howell?

anyways, sorry for the long post. i'm done now.
I generated this page in 0.007227897644043 seconds, executing 6 queries.