Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subject...weekend update?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=31978&mesg_id=31978
31978, ...weekend update?
Posted by ner947, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
alright, i did a bunch of things to my car this weekend and i have a few questions. first of all i discovered that my friend and i never hooked the stock bov that comes with the hahn correctly...the vacuum hose wasn't vacuuming. we put it to a "t" connector that was already there near the map sensor (we saw that the hose went to the 3 way splitter at the back of the intake man1fold) and figured it would work. (in hrc's picture, it showed the middle port in the stock 3 way splitter wasn't to be used) well, once i hooked up my rfl bov, it wasn't making any noise at all so i was like "wtf?" and checked everything. i disconnected the bov with the car running, and found that the vacuum hose wasn't vacuuming. so, i took off the middle port's rubber block and hooked the vacuum hose up to there, worked great. it was amazing!

i also got my egt gauge finally working correctly. during long 4th gear pulls it gets *really* close to 1600 degrees, and i've heard from enough people on the fourms that 1600 is as high as you ever want to go that i believe it.

i found a boost leak...the valve cover breather thing dripped some oil into my filter (yeah yeah, i know i need a catch can) and a little got blown through the turbo and spit out onto my valve cover making a little smoke. smelling it, i pulled over and figured out where it came from...i pulled off my intake piping and re-mounted it with new clampy thingies, sprayed the connections down with a little bit of soapy water and didn't see any more boost leaks.

anyways, my questions are:
1) since my 3kgt bov was never really hooked up correctly, is there any chance of there being any damage to my turbo? (i've been running ~5psi for about a month and a half now)
2) what do other stage 1 guys see for egt's on long pulls?
3) i know the trick of using the PVC pipe for testing boost leaks, and i have yet to do this. are there any special ways to build a leak tester? what type of air compressor should i use?

sorry for the long post. i'm done now.

oh yeah, i updated my sig too. the image is probably broken, but whatever.
I generated this page in 0.010244131088257 seconds, executing 6 queries.