Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectMade foggy headlights beautiful again (progress pics)
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=92541&mesg_id=92541
92541, Made foggy headlights beautiful again (progress pics)
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My headlights were developing a bad case of cataracts, so I decided to go the wetsanding route instead of buying the ebay projectors. My eyes are still good at night so I didn't really need to spend the money on projectors anyway :)

Here is what I had to begin with. Notice the condensation:

closeup of the condensation:

There are four bolts that hold in each headlight. 3 are easy, but the 4th bottom bolt makes up for it. Word on the street is, you don't need to take off the bumper if you can get to that bottom bolt with an extension. Well you need a very long extension, and still has to do some crazy maneuvering to get to that bolt. It's actually easier to just take the bumper off IMO

Just like mom used to make! -

I only heat it up for 2-3 minutes at 250 degrees. Comes apart pretty easy. Be careful not to let the glue fall into the chrome housing.

Now, at this point I sanded the outside. 400->1500->2000 wetsanding on the outside. Then use mcguires plastic polish (microabrasive) to finish it. For the inside, I just used the mcguires plasitic polish. It removes the inside film easily. I put them back together with door/window silcone that you can find at home depot. works great!
Compare the finished passenger headlight to the driver headlight.

close up of passenger light reassembled:

closeup of drivers side. Now you can see what a difference it makes!

I guess I could have made demon eyes too, but I didn't want to spend the time on it. but the insatiable urge to take the orange lens out was too much for me

Inspiration from squids old thread:
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=54903&mode=full

I generated this page in 0.0096809864044189 seconds, executing 6 queries.