Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectdamaged rims (thanks arby's) pics
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=92270
92270, damaged rims (thanks arby's) pics
Posted by EclipseSix, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well the local Arby's installed a ass-backwards system at their drive-thru. You have to push a button, which plays a recording and calls an attendant to...their microphone or something... anyways they place this button so damn close to a 6 inch tall curb, and sure enough I went too close (while hanging out the window trying to reach their damn button)and scuffed my driver's side front wheel.

I guess its not too bad, but do I have any alternatives to paying to have them polished/resurfaced? I searched and it didn't seem like there were any other options... Where can I get it done? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
92271, RE: damaged rims (thanks arby's)
Posted by WIDECLIPSE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You'll have to look in the phonebook or something for an alloy wheel repair type place, should be under the automotive section. That sucks, but at least the lip isn't bent. I think I'm pretty much screwed.
92274, RE: damaged rims (thanks arby's)
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Do you want me to show you what McDonalds in Mattoon did to my rims?

If you want pictures you will have to wait a day for me to get a digital camera. Your's are nothing compared to what happened to mine.... It took 2 new tires from me due to gouges in the sidewall!

But you do have the more expensive Enkei's... I do feel for you.
92279, RE: damaged rims (thanks arby's)
Originally posted by 95_ESi_Person
Do you want me to show you what McDonalds in Mattoon did to my rims? If you want pictures you will have to wait a day for me to get a digital camera. Your's are nothing compared to what happened to mine.... It took 2 new tires from me due to gouges in the sidewall! But you do have the more expensive Enkei's... I do feel for you.

Damn, lol. Yeah, the rims came at a pretty penny, but I had them for almost two years before I managed to do this so I'd say my track record isn't too shabby with them. Plus the powdercoat part is impressive, made it through two illinois winters with little to no maintenance on them and they always clean up just like new when I take the time to clean them. I'd like to see pics of yours if you feel like takin them, you did all that just by running aganst the curb?

and thanks WIDE, I'll check out the book to see whats around.
92281, RE: damaged rims (thanks arby's)
Posted by eclpsmoneypit95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It's nice to see another Illinois 2gnt'er. Oh yeah, park your car and go inside next time, haha.
92282, RE: damaged rims (thanks arby's)
Posted by VTECKILLER, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
lol how many IL 2gnter's we have here including myself the way it sounds the last 4 of us are I only live 30 min from matton IL by the way
92285, RE: damaged rims (thanks arby's)
Posted by destruckeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
This is why I refuse to use drive thru's with my car! Although I did not pay for the volks, they sure are pretty, and would be damn near impossible / expensive as hell to replace.
92287, RE: damaged rims (thanks arby's)
I'll see if the lady will let me use her digital camera tomorrow.

As for me... I was backing up and never saw the sidewalk that had a sharp 90degree edge to it.

Now I have all four wheels damaged somehow. One was done by the wonderful Walmart technicians (my roommate works there and got mine in for free).

Trans shop ruined one, curb ruined the remaining 2.

Barely noticable when wheels are dirty, and I made it 3 years before ANY damage to them.

It's ok, I plan on getting the same kind again but instead of silver, I'll get Anthracite with machined face.
92289, RE: damaged rims (thanks arby's)
Originally posted by eclpsmoneypit95
It's nice to see another Illinois 2gnt'er. Oh yeah, park your car and go inside next time, haha.

Haha for sure. Yeah, I found this board around the time I bought the car (two years ago), but I really haven't had the chance to start any modding until recently, and I basically immediately determined that I'm waiting for summer and buying a manual GS. Mine is an auto :-( Looks pretty but sooo slow. Anyways hopefully I'll be able to make it to the IL 2gnt meet whenever it happens. I live in the NW suburbs of chi-town, bout 45 minutes out.
92294, RE: damaged rims (thanks arby's)
Originally posted by EclipseSix
Originally posted by eclpsmoneypit95 I live in the NW suburbs of chi-town, bout 45 minutes out.

I used to live in Woodstock, not quite suburbs, just outside of them.
92315, RE: damaged rims (thanks arby's)
Posted by EclipseTenzoR, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by eclpsmoneypit95 It's nice to see another Illinois 2gnt'er. Oh yeah, park your car and go inside next time, haha.
Haha for sure. Yeah, I found this board around the time I bought the car (two years ago), but I really haven't had the chance to start any modding until recently, and I basically immediately determined that I'm waiting for summer and buying a manual GS. Mine is an auto :-( Looks pretty but sooo slow. Anyways hopefully I'll be able to make it to the IL 2gnt meet whenever it happens. I live in the NW suburbs of chi-town, bout 45 minutes out.

Turbo the bitch and swap 5 speed. My car is pretty but has automatic but when I turbo'd it it felt so much better. Next is 5 speed swap. Probably when I get stationed somewhere that I don't need my car then I will send it to somewhere like concept illusions and have them do it.
92317, RE: damaged rims (thanks arby's)
Originally posted by EclipseTenzoR
Originally posted by eclpsmoneypit95 It's nice to see another Illinois 2gnt'er. Oh yeah, park your car and go inside next time, haha.
Turbo the bitch and swap 5 speed. My car is pretty but has automatic but when I turbo'd it it felt so much better. Next is 5 speed swap. Probably when I get stationed somewhere that I don't need my car then I will send it to somewhere like concept illusions and have them do it.

I've considered that sooo many times, and to be honest I'm still torn between what to do.

I know that turbocharging my auto and then swapping a 5spd would end up costing me a pretty penny on a car that, by that time, would probably have close to 100k miles. I really want to do this in one side of my head, because my car's exterior is practically mint and overall it just looks great and I'm in love with it. Plus its my daily driver for now. So my alternate plan is to keep this car as my daily driver and cruise car (its awesome, I always get complements on the color(red) and the tires), and buy a manual eclipse for dirt cheap and then turbo it, figure save me some headache and money in the long run, and ensure I don't get any downtime when I screw something up :P

I generated this page in 0.011682033538818 seconds, executing 7 queries.