Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectnew paint job burn me if you want
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=86064
86064, new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by knight ryda 99, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Flat Black, Yes that is correct, I want to repaint my car flat black. I think it looks kinda stealthy. Plus it gives the car a don't mess with me look. Now let the fire begin.
86066, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by whttalon95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What color is your car now?
86067, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Black with metallic blue and silver flames.
86068, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by EvuLFleA, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So this is the new trend?

I don't get any car magazines but someone said that is where this all started.
86069, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by 420a-Tnthewerks, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by EvuLFleA
So this is the new trend? I don't get any car magazines but someone said that is where this all started.

That's what everybody says.. but I have NEVER seen a car painted flat black around here, or with my own eye's anywhere. Everybody acts like "everybody does it", but really, how many have you seen?

I say do it if you want if there's not any around your area.
86070, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by ScreaminE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yes flat black is what all the cool kids are doing these days. I must say that I like it on older budget cars that a paint job on would be worthless or if your doing bodywork and planning on painting later on down the line. Black primer looks way cooler than your gray or green primer or sealer. I am in the process of removing a crap ton of surface rust from my corolla and I have plans on painting it flat black primer because it does look cool for cheap. But on a 2g??? come on man, our cars are newer and nicer than some hacked up 240 or corolla. Dont do it man
86071, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
It was Import tuner, and I wanted to do this way before they ever did it to the wrx. I just never had the testicular fortitude until 10 minutes ago to actually do it. It's going to be flat black or urban camo, I don't know yet
86072, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
By the way I just removed the park bench wing I had, and yes I did feel a noticable decrease in power.
86073, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by Aggression, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
whats with all the self ownage all the sudden? :shrug
86075, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by WIDECLIPSE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It was sport compact car and it's your car who cares what everyone else thinks. Instead of a "I'm painting my car so flame me" thread, you should have made a "I just painted my car, here are some pics" thread.
86076, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
haven't done it yet. I'm lazy. As for the self ownage, I needed a good laugh, so bam there it went.
86077, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
I like my car like I like my women-- clean shaven and not too bright.
and you're right I should have re-phrased the title. It should be against the law to drink and type.
86078, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by whttalon95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
its really up to you man, if you like the paint job that you have now i would just leave it and not waste my time, but thats up to you.
86079, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
It's time for something new, and I know how to paint anyway so if I don't like it I just go and buy more paint and redo the whole thing
86080, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
This is the car that made me start thinking about this for Daisy some time in the next year...

I don't think I could ever do that to Daisy unless she had the balls to back up such a mean look. Then again, I don't think black primer would hold up too well over time. :shrug
86082, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Exactly why I'm doing this. My wifey can't drive for shit, the current paint job is less than a year old and already looks like shit. She cracked the side skirts, cracked the old fiber glass front to bad to repair and there is alot of road trash around here that is kicked up on the car so fuck it. Spray paint is alot cheaper than Automotive paint. If It gets messed up 3 more dollars and the paint job is fixed.
86083, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by GhostintheNight, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I like the glossy black offsets on the door, but i think a flat black 2g would look tight.. actually there's a older post with a flat grey 2g floatin around... do a search.. looks pretty tight
86084, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by DarkTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My problem with flat black paint is that since that 240 in particular, I see everyon wanting to do it... I DO like it, and when I get my 240, it'll probably end up like that or something similar )unless I paint it jet black with some pearl on it...), but that's because I do alot of road course racing and tempted to start into drifting, and well, then it's more necessity than something for looks...

I also dont think it'd work well on a 2g...'cause the car simply has too many curves, WRXs,240s,Corollas and the like have alot more lines rather than bubbly curves...now a 1ga with paint like the 240(flat black with some gloss black accents), 'sleepy eyes', and some blacked out windows I could certainly see happening and looking hot....
86086, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by EclipseTenzoR, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just dont see flat black looking nice at all. I have seen it on few cars, one being a honda that runs 9seconds.. but yea.. flat black is for hondas.. I would'nt do it.
86089, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by optimuspeterson, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by EclipseTenzoR
I just dont see flat black looking nice at all. I have seen it on few cars, one being a honda that runs 9seconds.. but yea.. flat black is for hondas.. I would'nt do it.

I'm painting my 90 mazda pickup flat black. but thats because i want a repaint and a glossy paint will show all the dents that are on it. I don't think a paint job like that belongs on an actual nice vehicle.
86103, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by jsupetran, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
There are actually TWO flat black recently painted imports in my apartment complex. Well, they look like shit cause well... Once's an early 90s integra and another is a corolla. It looks like someone in there garage painted it flat black. There's uneven shades and everything. Chances are, if you do it yourself... I'll probably look like shit and scream, hey look I painted my car flat black look at me and people who'll see it upclose will be like wow, that's wow... Interesting. Looks like someone painted it themselves. But hey, it's your car...

But if the flat black was painted professionally and looks good with a nice fmic, then it'll scream don't fuck with me. Otherwise, it'll just look like another ricey import.
86109, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by 96eclipse2nr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by whttalon95

dude, a little OT but i LOVE how clean your car is. if you went to stock eclipse tails it would be perfect. only thing that threw me off a lil was the altezzas.i actually dig the black talon roof...and the black rims really push the whole black/white theme. keep up the good work! i must say, im not a fan of white cars cuz they seem kinda dull to me, but yours has some snap to it. good job :thumbsup

as far as the topic at hand...i only like black primer on old muscle cars. iv yet to see an import that it actually looked good on...and yes, with all our curves, i dont see that the whole flat look would go all that well, but hey, its your car.

EDIT: and eh....urban camo...PLEEEASE dont do that. i think id rather see flat black. you drive an eclipse, not a beat up chevy or ford.
86114, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by sonikbewm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Flat black will look like SHIT!
86115, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by eclipse_99rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Do what ever you want, but i just think it will look like an old paint job thats clear coat peeled off of.
86116, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by 420a-Tnthewerks, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You should PM BRU_ce. He has or had pictures of a 2g that was painted flat black and it looked pretty sweet.
86117, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by jdpilot, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Some kid up here had a brand new wrx wagon. Last week I noticed it was flat black. Its so painful to see such a nice and costly car butchered. Ugh
86138, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by Shockeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

I think it looks sweet..

more pics http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=81596&mode=full
86144, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by kain_99gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Make it lumpy and spray with that Rhino Bed Liner crap. That way you cannot be lasered until you are about 400ft away.
86148, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by Shockeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by kain_99gs
Make it lumpy and spray with that Rhino Bed Liner crap. That way you cannot be lasered until you are about 400ft away.

That sounds like it would make your car uglier then shit
86352, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Right then, if nobody has any thing else to say I'm going to do this.
86380, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by Blizare, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I painted the silvia flat black. Its so nice and clean though,body wise. Just the paint was really scratched and I just put 10 K into the motor stc. so couldn't afford a paintjob. It offsets the gunmetal konigs perfectly. :thumbsup

But thats the thing. That car is fast. It doesn't need an interior or flashing lights or shiny paint.

I would nevar paint the talon flat black though. It's too damn shiny and sexy CBCC.
86441, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
It won't be staying that way, maybe until next summer when I get the money to paint It. Candy apple red with a hint of pearl is little on the expensive side.
86509, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by Erik, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm actually going to paint my car flat black. There is a right and wrong way. I plan on using a Dupont Hot Rod Series (that's all that is available to me here) and probably some bronze or maybe some other pearl in the top coat. It should be a shiney flat black paint job. I'm just tired of seeing gloss black that shows body lines funny and crap bodywork. I like the wildberry pearlcoat that I have now, but the car needs a complete paint job, so I might as well change the color.
86510, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Shockeclipse

I think it looks sweet..

I agree.
86583, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by CustomGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Worst idea ever! It WILL look horrible. Old muscle cars are the only ones that can pull it off. Think about it, Every little 16 yr old ricer with sagged pants and a crooked hat will paint there honda/acura/hyundai flat black because they cant afford 6-10k for a real paint job, yet they will think it looks cool because of cars like that silvia( which looks horrible imo ). Flat black paint/black primer will become the next Fart can - Neon washer nozzle light. Major mistake unless your 2g is 500+ hp.
86594, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by Erik, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm just tired of seeing the same colors that I have people coming to me with and then saying "How much pearl can I get in it without it looking like a flake job"? No offense but when was the last time you painted a hot rod. White with purple pearl in the top coat on Chevelle's is getting old. Or how about Fire Engine Red on a mid 70's Vette? I don't see why paint jobs are allowed to come full circle? Should I paint my car some new multi-tone that changes from shit green to bright pink? That's all we have to look forward to on new paint tech. Would it be a waste if I painted my car flat red?
86726, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
They have glow in the dark paint as well. Heat reactive paint(just like the hot wheels we had as kids) marble paint the list goes on and on. Go to www.alsacorp.com to see the endless possibilities.
86853, RE: new paint job burn me if you want
Posted by BuckNutty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the "flat" look came from the rat rods back i n the day where people did it cuz they didn't wanna put money into their car. They were all about going fast with the cheapness. They didn't do it for looks, rather for saving money.

The new crop of "rat rodders" can lick my ass. Just because you paint your car with rattle can primer doesn't mean you are fast or cool. If your car has a perfectly fine paint job on it now...leave it. Prep and prime it when your car goes in the shop.

If you have never seen a car with a flat black paint job, step out of the house IMO. I prolly see at least 3 a day...prolly 50 different cars since i moved down here last year.

in short, do it and may you be struck down upon with great vengeance.
I generated this page in 0.01095986366272 seconds, executing 7 queries.