Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectShould I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=68028
68028, Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by CarbonFiberRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Also state your honest opinion, I won't cry. I promise.

Poll question: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?

Poll result (40 votes)
Paint it, its ricey (31 votes)Vote
Don't paint it, its racey (9 votes)Vote

68029, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by Shockeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I say paint it. Cf is beautiful and all but it just looks unfinished on a red car imo.
68031, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by TXrepresent, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I say paint it. I'm wondering, don't they make red carbon fiber anyways? I'm sure I've seen it before.
68032, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by BuckNutty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i say paint it, but leave a design or the section around the vents unpainted. Or jus say fuggit and replace all teh panels with carbon fiber :p
68033, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by EricBss7, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I say paint the fenders but leave the hood. Other than that looks good imo.
68034, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by EvMan2345, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
paint fenders, but leave vents CF, leave hood CF as well...
Evan B
97 GS
90 GSX
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com
68035, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by Blizare, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Leave the hood for sure. Those front fenders look HORRIBLE IMO. Paint them red but maybe leave the carbon fiber around the wheelwell edge or something....that might look phat. It just looks outta place. Put those CF fenders on my Black car then they'd look mint.
68059, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by EclipseRacer82, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Definitely paint the fenders, leave the hood, carbon fiber is nice but too much of it on your exterior is a bit ricey IMO. But nice ride overall.
68070, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by Sitinlo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
IMO i would spray a red candy over it and call it red carbon fiber. My hood looks good when i sprayed an oriental blue candy from house of color on it. It changed the color of the cf to blue:thumbsup
68072, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by H82BLEGL, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I agree spray candy red that's what's up, if you wanted to paint it you should have stayed with your oem parts in the 1st place,be unique in your own way if not i'll trade your stuff for my stock??

TONY...

68078, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by SpreadEagle, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My opinion, don't paint it, I actually saw your car for the first time a couple hours in your sig in another thread and it knocked me out, I love it. It's unique, and the black wheels pull it all together. You spent the money on the fenders, show em off.

95ESI-cai,borla,sportlines,kyb,tsw
more on the way
68088, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by Vandy420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
is there a button for "sell it?"

;-)
68092, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Thanks for all the feedback.

The story behind the fenders is, my friend's mom's boyfriend backed into my driver side fender in my friend's 77 vette. He didn't have insurance... I got some estimates and to repair the fender and get it painted (not blending just painting the fender...) was going to be $390. To get a new oem fender and get it painted and blended with the door and bumper was going to be $680 so I let him pay me the lower price and I bought these for $440 shipped from nopi.com so w/e.
I plan on getting a cf front bumper some day and getting a paintjob were it looks like the paint is ripping off of the front of the car revealing the cf... I thought that would be pimp. Only problem is that last I checked the bumper is $850 so its gonna stay like it is for a while (appearance wise) while I finish the performance mods.

priesh
68094, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Originally posted by CarbonFiberRST
I plan on getting a cf front bumper some day and getting a paintjob were it looks like the paint is ripping off of the front of the car revealing the cf...

That sounds kick ass :thumbsup

more on the way
68105, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by RSClipse9d7, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I would wait to paint it until you get the CF front. It might not look that great for a little while but you will save money in the end. Do the rip idea, that sounds hot but I also work it into the hood and fenders. Good luck.
68199, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by ToTaLEkLyPz99, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
who is making a carbon fiber front for our cars??
68223, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Originally posted by ToTaLEkLyPz99
who is making a carbon fiber front for our cars??

I am not telling!:evilgrin

just playing... seibon, they also make doors in cf for
$1200 each.:rolleyes
68224, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by jsupetran, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I love the carbonfiber fenders... Don't paint it imo cause when I first saw your car, it totally looks mean with the fmic and the cf fenders.

-------jezreel
hrc stage 1, sfmu, ml, prokits, egt, boost gauge, apexi tt, turbo xs rfl, haydans tranny cooler, costum dp, dr. uber groundwires, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler

nothing like driving with the windows down and the music low: i love hearing the turbo spool, swwwhhhttt!!!!
thanks for www.kaptainmyke.com for the sig hosting :thumbsup

68232, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by pollskatallon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
with out a doubt just leave it as is for now and when u get your front end definetly do the ripping paint idea my friend did it on his car minus the cf front but still looked deadly

68233, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by WickedESi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Dude the ripping paint to carbon fiber would be soooooo damn hot.
68237, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by DarkTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I plan on getting a cf front bumper some day and getting a paintjob were it looks like the paint is ripping off of the front of the car revealing the cf... I thought that would be pimp. Only problem is that last I checked the bumper is $850 so its gonna stay like it is for a while (appearance wise) while I finish the performance mods.

I have an Idea, do you ripping paintjob as it is, just have it starting like halfway back on the hood and fenders, that way you dont have to paint on the CF front bumper when you get it. BUT the paintjob may look awkward with your currently red front bumper....
68307, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by Steve, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. The story behind the fenders is, my friend's mom's boyfriend backed into my driver side fender in my friend's 77 vette. He didn't have insurance... I got some estimates and to repair the fender and get it painted (not blending just painting the fender...) was going to be $390. To get a new oem fender and get it painted and blended with the door and bumper was going to be $680 so I let him pay me the lower price and I bought these for $440 shipped from nopi.com so w/e. I plan on getting a cf front bumper some day and getting a paintjob were it looks like the paint is ripping off of the front of the car revealing the cf... I thought that would be pimp. Only problem is that last I checked the bumper is $850 so its gonna stay like it is for a while (appearance wise) while I finish the performance mods. priesh

theres a grey probe around me that is exactly like that but not revealing carbonfiber but like..painted metal sorta..Its weird but it looks nice...Im shutting up now.
68260, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by eclipse74, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
at least paint the fenders. looks awkward from the side
68261, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by xEclipsE RaceRx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Does the front bumper look OEM style?

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition

"Mommy financed...Mommy certified"

Check Out My Site For Pix
http://home.comcast.net/~eclipseracer/Page/Home.htm

*Done with Project: Low Comp. Rebuild. Now I have a major oil leak by my rear main seal =(*
68276, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by thegame, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i say leave it as is. but if u get the c/f bumper, id say do the ripping effect. maybe not. might look cool like that. haha. either way would look cool imo.

New/More Mods Comming... New 1/4 Times In March/April
68293, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
this is what seibon emailed me on may 3 2003...
We can make Blitz style, EVO style, Street Fyghter style, Skyline style, andOctane style front bumpers for Eclipse. The price is about $850. The carbonfiber doors are about $1000 ~ $1200 per door.
but i just want oem i think... or octane (this is the r34 one right?)

68299, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by 97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Paint them but leave the vents CF.
68328, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by HeyG, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It looks hot, people just aren't used to it. Just get a CF front bumper. Aftermarket styling would be very nice, but safer with OEM style. can't wait to see it. Love the car, the rims go well with the CF too.
68332, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by scirio, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You need some skirts bro. Its very btom line looking to the untrained eye and at least skirts would give it a more aggressive look and people could see maybe its more than just unfinished fenders
68342, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Originally posted by scirio
You need some skirts bro.

funny you should mention that... I purchased some from a member in the for sale forum on the first of the year or so and I still havn't seen them or heard from him in 3 weeks or more. x(
68357, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by DarkTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

Originally posted by scirio You need some skirts bro.

Get CF sideskirts! :D
68399, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Posted by MR BLUNT 2gnt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm not a huge fan of 2 tone cars. Cf hoods push the limit to me, but most look ok. If it were my car and i'm spending all this dough on rice i'd get the front bumper that allows better air flow to the ic and paint the w/s back black. Cf would then blend and look tight. But originality is never a bad thing, I just really don't like 2 tone cars.
68402, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Originally posted by MR BLUNT 2gnt
and paint the w/s back black.

whats w/s ?

here is a pic of it b4 the fenders... at nopi 2002

looks worse to me :shrug

And thanks for the response i am still trying to decide on if i should paint it or not... honestly i wish i just had the stock hood and fenders.
68403, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
windshield back. your fenders back i guess. i'm pretty traditional when it comes to styling. a stock 2g w/ the high spoiler, lowered a touch with some nice rims gives me wood every time. i went for speed over style though, you know us turbo heads. we dont' want to be associated with to much rice. ha. you car has some nice touches to it, i say it would look pretty phat black with the carbon fiber front half. again, my 2 cents. take it for what its worth. you have a nice car.
68409, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
yea well how does one go a bout getting the engine bay painted without pulling the motor? i want it all black BUT i don't want a red engine bay...
68439, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
lots of newspaper and masking tape. j/k, it really shouldnt even be tried if you can't get the motor out. you really wouldn't notice it to much anyhow. you could have whomever shoot the humps where the struts are and the edges where the hood goes but below that i say f it, probably wouldn't notice it to much.
68450, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
honestly i wish i just had the stock hood and fenders.

not as much as I wish I had CF hood and fenders lol

more on the way
68451, RE: Should I paint the carbon fiber or leave it?
Originally posted by SpreadEagle
Originally posted by CarbonFiberRST honestly i wish i just had the stock hood and fenders.
not as much as I wish I had CF hood and fenders lol

haha
well i just want a clean look now. some people have refered to it as clean with it looking like it does now... i guess i have a different meaning for clean.
I generated this page in 0.01310396194458 seconds, executing 9 queries.