Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectBlacked out talilights...
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=62675
62675, Blacked out talilights...
Posted by Skrilla, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
...where do you go to get it done or how can I do it myslef.

Info?
Websites?
material?
Anything else I've forgotten

Thanx
62676, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by injendsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i just saw this thing on www.modernperformance.com called nightshade tint spray or something to that effect. anyway, they had a pic of a clear corner that they used the stuff on and it came out good imo. its like 8 or 9 bux and i plan on buying some of that stuff soon. if i get it before you do, i will let you know how it works. if this isnt what you are looking for then my bad.
62680, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by insiderGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

^^^ is a pic of my tails. I used Nite Shades tint spray and put 3 layers on them. You could go darker but I already have problems with the cops around here. Anyways, I bought it at the show in Carlisle this past year. It's very ease to do and looks bad ass IMO.

ps. I also did the reverse lights if you didn't notice
62685, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by BuckNutty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

nite shades here too...good shit IMO
62689, RE: Blacked out talilights...
damn i was wondering what you guys were using. im definately gonna buy a couple cans of that stuff soon:thumbsup
62694, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by scirio, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
But dont you loose the shiny-ness of the actual lens. and cant you scratch it off? I want to tint my clear tails a bit but I want them to still look glossy and know that it wont come off when I scrub em clean. Do you have to know how to spray well to put this stuff on or does it coat evenly when you do it.
62695, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by turbo8u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hey skrilla, i have some of that shit with me. u can use it but u gotta cruise down. i have some transparent red tail paint for that ugly orange section on the talon taillights. i painted mine candle apple red and did a light fog with the vht nighstades and chearcoated. it lookes SO FUCKIN SICK, muhaha

so stoked on my taillights now :thumbsup

call me up sucka, im in dana point
949-295-2914
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

DarkOne> Screw you guys, i'm going home.

"drugs have taught an entire generation of american kids the metric system. "
62699, RE: Blacked out talilights...
it goes on like spray paint. If you can paint an interior piece then you can do this. It also stays on very well....i haven't had any probs of it scratching off and i have cleaned my car a bunch of times since then.
62700, RE: Blacked out talilights...
how many cans should i get if i plan on tinting the tailights, bumper lenses, and reverse lenses?
62701, RE: Blacked out talilights...
I didn't have any problems with it scraping off or coming off when I wash the car. Also, I did my tails, reverse lights, and a friends reverse lights and still have some of the can left. I would say 1 can should be fine, 2 to be sure.
62702, RE: Blacked out talilights...
i would get 2....always good to have extra...My tails took like three quarters of a can...good luck and post up some pics mang :cheers
62706, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by WickedESi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Niteshades :thumbsup

You can get it off eBay for cheap, I bought the larger can. Do lots of thing layers, waiting about 10-15 mins between each, for a nice smooth finish.

I then used some cleaner wax about a week later (after it cured) to polish them (give them a smooth semi glossy surface).

If you want them to be really flashy, do a few layers of clear coat over the top.

I recommend LED tail light bulbs after you do this so that drivers can see you blinker/primary brake lights.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/ (cheapest LED bulb prices)
62718, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Originally posted by turbo8u
hey skrilla, i have some of that shit with me. u can use it but u gotta cruise down. i have some transparent red tail paint for that ugly orange section on the talon taillights. i painted mine candle apple red and did a light fog with the vht nighstades and chearcoated. it lookes SO FUCKIN SICK, muhaha so stoked on my taillights now :thumbsup call me up sucka, im in dana point 949-295-2914 _________ 96 talon esi-t san clemente, ca DarkOne> Screw you guys, i'm going home. "drugs have taught an entire generation of american kids the metric system. "

Sweet! I'm down! We'll shoot for Next Sunday! During the week I'm SO busy. I do Credit Counseling and negotiate settlements with creditors and lawyers. Saturday I'm heading to Havasu with my woman! YA!! So Turbo8u I'll give ya a call

62719, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Hey thanx everyone for the info.

My tails are gonna be SICK!!
62721, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by widebodied, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i got some gto taillight covers if your interested....

DWAYNE H

Red/Black/Silver 01 GSXR 750
Lots of Apexi components...
62737, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Originally posted by widebodied
i got some gto taillight covers if your interested.... DWAYNE H Red/Black/Silver 01 GSXR 750 Lots of Apexi components...

Really do you have some pics?

Edit: widebodied you have a message
62782, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by widebodied, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i dont have any pics, ask chrysler kid, he had some.

DWAYNE H

Red/Black/Silver 01 GSXR 750
Lots of Apexi components...
62798, RE: Blacked out talilights...
skrilla sunday is cool with me mang

i dont have any pics of my tails but i'll be sure and get some (just need a camera)
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

62722, RE: Blacked out talilights...
you need to take out the tailights to spray on the niteshade stuff correct?
62730, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Yes.
62731, RE: Blacked out talilights...
turbo8u, do you have any pics of your tails?
62799, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah, guys. Let's see some pics. This idea pops into my head from time to time too.
62801, RE: Blacked out talilights...

You might not of saw it but I have another pic of my tails on the previous page.
62833, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by xEclipsE RaceRx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have some I can post pictures of later.

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition

"Mommy financed...Mommy certified"

Check Out My Site For Pix
http://home.comcast.net/~eclipseracer/Page/Home.htm

*Done with Project: Low Comp. Rebuild. Now I have a major oil leak by my rear main seal =(*
62834, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by chrysler kid, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
its hard to believe i ever had this car hahaha. dang i kinda miss the bodykit.

62843, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by jdpilot, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Anyone know where one can buy the actual tinted tails? I know NOPI use to sell them but are they disc?? Also, NOPI use to have some red altezzas with a red lens. They looked badass!! Any idea where to find those. They were sweet and looked stock from afar. Better then the regular altezzas IMO. Thanks.
62844, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by jdpilot, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Anyone know where one can buy the actual tinted tails? I know NOPI use to sell them but are they disco?? Also, NOPI use to have some red altezzas with a red lens. They looked badass!! Any idea where to find those. They were sweet and looked stock from afar. Better then the regular altezzas IMO. Thanks.
62851, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by Blizare, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
no double clicky!!lol

anyways...heres what I did.... Im gonna redo it all and match the paint and clear w/ my car...looks pimp IMO.

62866, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by john98gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
As an alternative, you can go to a hobby store and get some model paint called window tint. It comes in a 3 ounce can, just enough to do the job. I agree 2 coats is enough. 3 coats looks too dark. I sprayed 3 coats on a spare center section and it looked good. It tended to orange peel, so a good coat of wax should smooth things out. I plan on doing it for real this weekend.
62937, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by EricBss7, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
does any1 actually have those GTO or GTS tail light blackouts? im just wondering if its one long piece or if its three seperate pieces?:shrug
62938, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by lickscissors, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ive seen something in Summitracing magazine for sometihng like this....it was like 10$ a can....i was really tempted to buy it, but is it legal? i have a lot of problems with cops also....
doug
62939, RE: Blacked out talilights...
yea thats what i wanted to know before i did mine. also, how hard is it to see the lights once its on?
62948, RE: Blacked out talilights...
I've had my tails tinted for a few months now and haven't had any more problems with the cops. The light shines through mine fine with 3 layers of NiteShades.
62952, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by EcLIpsInEmCEe7, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
www.spiderautomotive.com

62956, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by QC DSM ESiT, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Blizare
no double clicky!!lol anyways...heres what I did.... Im gonna redo it all and match the paint and clear w/ my car...looks pimp IMO.

Did you use nightshade too. How did you get it glossy like that, and what did you do to make the letters TALON on the back not get get painted (did you just put tape or something over them)
62958, RE: Blacked out talilights...
taqpe over the talon letters

for the BEST look possible, wet sand the headlights BEFORE you paint them. paint 3-4 layers evenly, light coats. clear coat 3-4 layers too, let dry for a full day. sand again and wax and polish them :thumbsup, and if u want to nightshade them after follow the same steps. the wax and polish gives it a nice OEM look instead of that flat VHT color. ubershiny = :thumbsup imo

i'll post pics of my tails tomorrow (im jackin a friends camera)
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

chrysler kid> and fyi i have never HAD to shave.

62959, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by john98gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
^^^^ good advice

I painted 2 coats of window tint paint I got at a hobby store yesterday. I took some pictures of my truck. They’re not the greatest quality, but you can see the turn signals light up good at night. It's brighter than it looks. Now that I know what to do, I’m going to do the same thing to my car.

back

front

both lights on, parking only, light off

63050, RE: Blacked out talilights...
Posted by xEclipsE RaceRx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Its 3 separate peices

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition

"Mommy financed...Mommy certified"

Check Out My Site For Pix
http://home.comcast.net/~eclipseracer/Page/Home.htm

*Done with Project: Low Comp. Rebuild. Now I have a major oil leak by my rear main seal =(*
I generated this page in 0.011584997177124 seconds, executing 7 queries.