Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectDOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=26190
26190, DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by ghost, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hiya people,

Well, I am just wondering...my car has a LOT of rattles. Both doors rattle big time when the windows are rolled down. The sunroof rattles when it is closed.(sometimes a little when open) Sounds like something up in the dash is rattling a little. The trunk hatch was rattling really bad, but I tightened the latch on the hatch (hehe) and it made it quieter(is that a word?)... but now it's starting to loosen up again and rattle... I need a torque wrench to torque it down right. Also sounds like some things might be loose in the rear bumper..it rattles a bunch too. So, all in all, my car rattles like a mofo.

I am wondering if this is common in our cars or if anyone else is having these problems. (and possibly have solutions?)

The reason I ask is that my dad thinks my car is in too bad of shape to keep and wants to just repaint and sell it. AND then I'm going to have to get a 97+, which he thinks will be in much better condition and won't rattle.

So..hmm..what do I do?

late
26191, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by 9D9 MITSU RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
mine does some. Cars start to rattle usually with age. Also, 2 12's kinda helped mine get a few rattles.
26192, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
hmm.... yeah, but what about the rattles I described? Is that normal? What do you people think?
26193, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by kelsted, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I also have the same problem with my sunroof when i leave the visor thing closed. But when I open my sun roof, the rattle stops.
26194, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
anyone know of a fix?
26195, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by 96eclipse2nr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i know the rattle in the dash!! drives me batty! plus alot of the panels rattle with my system, im about to put padding in all my doors and panels, but dont know how to fix the one in the dash. its over by the passenger A pillar
26196, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by Niclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My car has some rattles too. There used to be a rattle behind my cd player when I would floor the car. I took my cd player out and taped up all of my wires and torqued down all screws and bolts in site.

Rattles start when you keep taking apart your car and puting it back together. Also starts when you get a sub system or put on an exhaust. I can hear a lot of the rattles in my trunk because I took out my spare tire, spare tire lid, and the trunk lid.

To stop the road noise and rattles do what I said, tighten bolts and screws, add foam or other sound deadening to your body of the car and inside panels.
26197, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
So, you think it would be better just to keep the car because the same rattles would happen in a 97+ as well, correct?
26198, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by Niclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yep. i have a 98 and it rattles.

I have also molested every inch of my car :)
26199, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by fauchpj, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
"Rattles start when you keep taking apart your car and puting it back together"

werd. ive taken every piece of my interior apart. it rattles like a bitch

i think its all the little plastic thingys that pop into holes for various panels
26200, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
how bad are the rattles? do you just live with it, or is there a way to seal thema nd make them stop? high cost cars like the vette don't rattle hardly at all....how can we compete with them for least rattliness? (lol)
26201, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by fauchpj, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
how bad are the rattles? lets just say i want to kill myself on bumpy roads. it sounds like theres crickets and other types of shit in my car with all the squeaking

hondas dont rattle at all and ride very smooth, well the latest gen preludes at least, you cant feel a thing in those, so damn smooth
26202, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Mine are pretty bad on bumpy roads... on highway/city traveling...it's ok...to kinda bad. When I tightened the trunk hatch a lot of the loud rattles disappeared.

The window and sunroof rattles are the worst though....the sunroof starts humming cuz of my exhaust at high speeds. (i think)
26203, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by sonikbewm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
To stop the window rattles you are going to have to buy new window tracking and that isn't cheap. I checked into it and it's going to be $120 a side. My sunroof rattles too every now and then and I don't really know what to do about it.
26204, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Not to disrespect you or anything man...I'm just trying to be thorough. BUT, does anyone know if that is the only way of preventing the window rattles? I thought I saw somewhere on 2gnt about someone fixing it themselves. Anyone know??

Thanks
26205, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by Chris_FL, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My windows rattle too. I'm gonna get in there this weekend(if it ever stops raining) and tighten some stuff up. I just live with it though. It's the worst on bumpy roads.
26206, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by guest, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
with 2 12s and taking apart every interior piece of my car....my shit rattles like alice n chains
26207, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by loudgs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I feel your pain man, just tighten your shit real good and put weatherstripping between all the panels, I mean ALL the panels, kills alot of it. get the kind that has tape on one side and felt on the other, it'll take a day to do, but it's worth it, like they said, tighten all bolts down, but even with that, dynomat extreme, and the weatherstripping, I still start the car and hear BBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZ when my rpms drop to idle from the exhaust, dont know what to do on that, and yea, still have the telltale sunroof rattle. tia!
26208, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
dynomat extreme and weather stripping, huh? hmm... I wonder how we go about doing that...is there a write up on that yet?

Kinda clueless...
26209, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by 9D9 MITSU RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I heard something from the front one day. Looked under the dash. It turned out the fucking ripoff POS body shop left my bumper bolts loose on the driver side fender. My windows rattle at times, and I get a rattle sometimes at wot for a second. Also, the armrest/center console thing squeaks and shit(when I am kinda leaning on it). I guess it's normal.
26210, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by fungul, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I would think the best people to talk to about ratles are guys at car audio shops. They spend tons of time tracking down and fixing ratles on cars that are going for sound quality competitions. The windows I don't know about but for the dash etc. I know they make this spray foam shit that you spray into little crevaces with this tiny hose to get rid of weird ratles.

Dean.
26211, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by 510eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
im going to have to get that can of shit with the little tube to get in places. i took out my entire interior and did the car in the dynomatt sutff from mcmaster.com. it helped with road noise and it made my system sound better, and helped with the exhaust system that i installed shortly after. there is still heluv rattling though, i should have put foam underneath all of the panels when i had them out, i greatly regret not doing that. so i advise anyone to do EVERYTHING at once when they take their car apart inside. even if you have to mob it with no interior for a couple weeks. at least then you can mob around feelin all cocky like your car is a real race car or something. but yeah these rattles everywhere...under the dash and shit...im sick of it. this is so lame, i like to have a classy ride. if i wanted some rattling old clunker i would have fixed up a hot rod or something, and for some reason most of those hotrod guys that i know dont have rattling problems. im not down for takin a girl out in a god damn kmart mobile. lets all work together to clean up our interior sound polution. either that or sell the damn things and buy something classy.

26212, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by BuckNutty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
who cares if they rattle??? CHIX DIG ECLIPSE'S!!!1!! nuff said :D :thumbsup
26213, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Oh really??? Man, none of the girls around me dig eclipses! Can you send some of yours, my way???

I wonder what is wrong with my car... ?

:wary
26214, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by mcgyvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
THE RATTLE WAS THE HOOD HINGE ! It SOUNDED LIKE IT WAS COMING FROM THE DASH or the Engine compartment !! This is a common problem that the dealerships find difficult to locate!
The hinge gets loose with time and causes a snapping sound over bumps, it can be corrected with a piece of stiff foam rubber about 2" high, placed on the round shock tower near the passenger side hood hinge ! If the noise goes away you can easily replace the hinge for about 20 bucks.

as for the windows, there are bolts holding the window in place and on the track, tighten those up should help a bit, but basically are cars have framless windows and a shitty glass shape so there isnt much you can do for it. Ill try to check it out and give everyone a fix, I love troubleshooting problems like that.

Also for the suroof there is bolts/screws that also come loose.

but you all basically said it, once you start taking stuff apart and dont torque the bolts correctly you will get noises, but nothing a little silicon caulk wont fix.

26215, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by 96Eclipsed, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ghost, my 96 RS does exactly the same noises. Windows Rattle, strange noise from right dash near the window...my sunroof rattles, but only when open. In addition I have a rattling that only happens after s certain amount of driving, it sounds like it's coming from the bottom rear just in front of the left back wheel, maybe under the backseat!

I'm going to try some of the solutions here...thanks!
26216, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
hey mcgyvr if you can give us any sort of write up with pics for the window adjustmends it'd be greatly appreciated. and ya get extra credit if it can all be done with a swiss army knife haha ;-)
one thing about the windows though...i sure love the shape...even with just the stock light tinting they have it is almost impossible for people to see whats goin on inside when im cruisin with the windows up. i love their concave shape like that.

26217, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
96Eclipsed:

Sorry...but it's good not to be alone on this one! :thumbsup

I want to try some of the fix-its listed on here soon...but this Texas heat is so freaking extreme!

Oh yeah, no one has answered my question about the girl thing yet... Do other people's eclipses attract women? Mine sure as hell doesn't! Tell me the secret guys, come on! :D

Thanks for the advice all!
26218, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by sonikbewm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I guess you could say mine attracts the women. My girlfriend loves my turbo and the sound my BOV makes.
26219, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by talon614, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
for fun take out your back seats.. then you can hear all kinds of cool gas sloshings noises
26220, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
ghost, it's all in how ya play it bro, drive up, throw em in, turn the music up where they cant hear the rattles and bring em home, subwoofers work in 2 ways, 1. they cause the rattles 2. they cover the rattles, muah
26221, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by Lo RS 4Me, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
mine's always rattling when i'm gettin on it between 2k-5k alteast, my exhaust rattles somethin in my hatch, but i've had a system ever since i bought it, first 1 audiobahn 12, then 2 pioneer 10s, boooo, then how 2 kicker solobarics, so i think somethings about to fall off there
26222, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
well out here in cali the women definately love the eclipses, but in texas im sure the big huge raised up trucks are a little more acceptable. out here more than half the time the guys in the big raised up trucks get laughed at, and usually the ladies appreciate just about any respectable clean looking import. but i definately want the rattles gone for at least my own comfort. i spend alot of time driving in my car.

26223, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
The only girls that ever came after my car were high school girls. I'm 20 and in college so high school girls are getting a little dangerous for me to mingle with. Oh yeah, considering I also just got FUCKED over by my girlfriend of 3 years who is still a senior in high school.....yeaaaaaaaa, I think not.

Older girls here dig trucks, super cars, and lots of fucking money. Check out Maxim's article on Dallas... "hot young blondes lookin' for cash" basically sums up where I live.

Is SoCal majorly different? I might have to move there! lol

late
26224, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
"one thing about high school girls, I keep getting older, they just stay the same" lol, I love that quote
26225, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by Louis, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My car has a few rattles too..sunroof rattles when going over a speed bump only, but there's a squeaking noise coming from the rear passenger's side that drives me crazy somewhere around the wheel I guess..but then I just put the music loud to where I hear no rattles..well except my driver's side speaker when the bass is too high....
I had the passanger's side dash rattle a few weeks after I bought the car but got it fixed free by satan, they had to take out the dash and said that a piece was put backwards from factory so they had to put it right side up..no more rattle after that.
26226, RE: DOES YOUR CAR RATTLE? Hmmm...
Posted by 97xtc, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
dont overlook those damb side skirts, i just fixed mine on the right front. it rattled like a siv at any speed above 40. those damb clips that hold them are pretty cheesy. it sounded like it was coming from thr right side of the dash but i could'nt find it, so i had my wife cruse me around with my head stuffed in the passenger floor board to figure dat sit da fuk out.
I generated this page in 0.0139319896698 seconds, executing 7 queries.