Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectmy one day old rim bent on me :(
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=1065
1065, my one day old rim bent on me :(
Posted by 95dsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey i just got a concept 5, 18 inch rims 35 series on friday and when i went to san diego on saturday for Hot Import Nights after the show was over i noticed that my front left side rims was bent it's noticable but it's still holding air. is their anyway that I could repair the damage, from the looks of it, it can be put back in place just by hitting it with a hammer well i know that pretty stupid but just trying to describe what it looks like. Well if you guys know anything about rims i would appreciate it if you guys could help, cuz this is the first time I actually started doing the looks cuz Im was more into speed type.
1066, RE: my one day old rim bent on me :(
Posted by cyan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well i have said it before, a shop should not a sold a 3000-lb car's owner 35 series tires, they're too thin with that amount of weight. i have to be extra careful as you should to keep the tire pressures correct, check it every few days, because an underinflated tire will be more likely to damage a wheel.
about the dent, you have nothing to lose really, it may work, but if it doesnt your result could be a wobbly dent rather than a curved one, but it couldnt hurt to try, just wrap the hammer head with a towel so you dont damage the "polished" lip of the katanas. (i owned a set of those 18 inch katanas once, the lip is by no means polished, what a crock of shit, too bad the real racing harts are about $4000 for a set of 18s)
good luck
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1067, RE: my one day old rim bent on me :(
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ouch... sorry to hear about it bud.
If you are going to try and straighten the rim use a rubber mallet not a hammer. Maybe put a block oif wood and hit that spread the force over a greater area so you don't damage the rim.
Good Luck!

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/
1068, RE: my one day old rim bent on me :(
Posted by js99rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
try !CAREFULLY! heating it before you pound on it
1069, RE: my one day old rim bent on me :(
Posted by grneclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Dude, don't feel so bad, I had just bought my 18's ADR racing phase 2's wheels, and have not had them for more than 2 wks, when i hit an uneven bump in the road (doing speed limit, mind you) and it SPLIT the rim in half (like I have (5) rims) to top it off, when i went back to get another one, they told me that they didn't make that rim anymore and that i bought the last set. <KOFF> BULLSH*T! well after i bought a new set of rims, i found out that they still had a few in stock in some factory in Cali. SUCKS!! O well, they look way better on MWC's car anyway, that is after they're powdercoated white to go with his car.
1070, rims that might bend? more... also rims/tires help...
Posted by pn0ymahal, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hey everyone, i heard from a rim/tire shop. that with 18 in rims, its not so good to drive the freeway a whole lot, due to you can bend the rim or so? just like what happen now with a member... he told me its ok to go with 17s and all, but 18s is ok but not a good idea? is this true? i really wanna get 18 in rims, but the rims i want are the are 5zigan heidfild and guess what>? its a 3 piece, so thats 2300+ around with tires... and the 17s are only about 1300 with tires... what a big difference... also two more question for you all, i have eibach pro kit springs, what kind of tire size would i go with if i got 17s or 18s as in rims>? with the offset? i want my tires to be not coming or sticking out you know what i mean? also how much more is the difference with 17s and 18s as in rims, as far as your car becoming higher? if its not to be of a difference i will get the 17s but i will get a body kit later maybe the sensi front... thanks for your time ... michael
1071, RE: rims that might bend? more... also rims/tires help...
Posted by cyan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
if someone told you not to use 18s they are smoking crack. we can fit 20s with a minimal drop and maybe 21s at stock height, ive rolled on 20s before for test-fitting but decided not ot get that size because of tire costs. your car will not be raised with 18s, my 225/35/19 tires only raised me up about a half inch. when i had 225 and 215/40 18s they were both the same size as stock
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1072, RE: my one day old rim bent on me :(
Posted by Stan2gnt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Welcome to the club. I have an ADR thats bent too (probably one more after crossing a rail road track today). Mine you can only tell visually at the back lip and it holds air and drives straight so I'm in no rush to fix it. There is a local wheel repair shop that straightens rims. There are plnety of wheel repair shops that will straighten your rim for about $100 so I wouldn't fret un less its beyond repair.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

1073, Take it to a wheel collision center....
Posted by Nemizis, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Im not sure if you have one around your way, but I used a a place called the Wheel Collision Center, they can redo steel and aluminum, of course if its totally mangled I doubt they could do much with aluminum wheels. Just watch it with hammering at it, if its aluminum (I assume so) it'll crack easier than you think.
Oh yeah, its around a $90-130$ to repair, depends.... good luck! :-)

I generated this page in 0.015760898590088 seconds, executing 7 queries.