Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectNeed new doors for DD: CF or shaved doors off CL?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=105903
105903, Need new doors for DD: CF or shaved doors off CL?
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Over the past months both of my doors have been attacked by drunkards. I can source some CF doors locally to replace them, or get a pair of shaved doors from a local part out. Ever since Driggs posted about the lightweight squidskins' talon I've wanted to put the RS on a similar weight loss plan.

It is a daily driver and will always remain that way, though I don't know how pertinent that is given that the chassis is a unibody so the doors do not add anything structurally. The doors consist of very thin gauge steel over a single (IIRC) door brace that is about as thick as my thumb. I remember looking inside the door and thinking WOW there is no side impact protection here at all. I've seen/googled many 2g side impacts and the OEM doors provide no penetration protection. I haven't ever seen CF hoods shatter (rather, they bend), and I think the chances of a rollover in a lowered 2g are just about nil. What I'm saying is that I think the risks of CF seem mitigated by several factors and that crash risks are not substantially higher than those in a 2g with OEM doors. Here is the marketing gif from way back:

My 2gnt has been hit 7 times already, these concerns are not something I gloss over. OTOH, I've heard the stock doors weigh nearly 80lbs/each!!! If I remove the door speakers+ CF doors + CF hatch+ CF hood+ switch bumper support beams to aluminum+ lightweight battery, I can see that adding up to nearly 300 lbs of weight loss.

My car is black so it won't detract much from the appearance. Of course, shaved doors would look awesome. There would be no weight savings, but definitely a cost savings. What are your thoughts?

Poll question: Need new doors for DD: CF or shaved doors off CL?

Poll result (1 votes)
CF doors: Getting t-boned with stock doors would kill you anyway (0 votes)Vote
Shaved doors: Because it's cleaner and cheaper (1 votes)Vote

105904, RE: Need new doors for DD: CF or shaved doors off CL?
Posted by eclipse420ags, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I wouldnt spend the loot on cf with all the sucky drivers around you, worst case scenario, what if you get hit again?
105905, RE: Need new doors for DD: CF or shaved doors off CL?
Posted by Corbin, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I would be less concerned about the safety and more concerned about replacement cost. You seem to have bad luck with accidents and covering your car with carbon fiber would make it expensive to "repair" and insurance companies are going to try to weasel out of paying for new carbon panels. If you don't mind the risk of covering that out of pocket, go for whatever plan keeps you awake at night.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki
105906, RE: Need new doors for DD: CF or shaved doors off CL?
Thanks guys, I think you are right. My car is a magnet for reckless people, thankfully none of the impacts have ever been high velocity. It might happen that the CF doors are no longer available if I need to replace one eventually. I'm going to pick up the OEM doors this weekend, and search for a door popper kit.
105909, RE: Need new doors for DD: CF or shaved doors off CL?
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Btw, what are CF doors going to cost anyway?
105910, RE: Need new doors for DD: CF or shaved doors off CL?
Posted by megaskillz, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
About $750 a piece.
http://www.advancarbon.com/#/item/1995-1999_eclipse-zs-_talon_carbon_fiber_door_left
105911, RE: Need new doors for DD: CF or shaved doors off CL?
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

Lol, that would help me decide real quick.......

105912, RE: Need new doors for DD: CF or shaved doors off CL?
I can pick them up locally for 675 right now, but that's still pricey. I picked up the OEM doors this weekend - even with nothing in them they are heavy! The side impact beam seems a little more robust than I remember it. Plus they are usually a special alloy. Safety first!
I generated this page in 0.012815952301025 seconds, executing 9 queries.