Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectTalon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=105751
105751, Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts
Posted by iamnotwhoiam, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So I've been working on upgrading my dash/gauge lights over to LED's and wanted to share my progress and also test the waters on a v2 idea that I have for the gauge cluster.

Short story is I have converted all the lights in the hvac, all dash buttons, and gauge cluster over to using a white led back-lighting.

Tell me what you think.

Years ago on my first DSM I did something very similar, but used blue back-lighting, but using a slightly different method at least for the gauge cluster.

OLD:

NEW:

Gauge Cluster

HVAC

HVAC and other buttons

Other buttons

Needle rings

Additional lighting for odometer numbers - Added a strip to top and bottom

And, as far as v2... I'm thinking of creating a board and/or modifying the plastic back-board on the gauge overlays and put smd leds directly on it to more evenly light the gauges rather than how I used leds farther back the the cluster casing to create more of ambient lighting to light the gauges.

This picture is an idea of rings I would use and possible placement of leds on the rings to evenly light the overlays.

The challenge will be to maintain the thinness of the plastic backing... which should possible as I already was able to use a similar method on the needle rings I made.

Anyhow...
105752, RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts
Posted by Gruff511, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Niiiiice!! I did this same on my gauge cluster. A LOT brighter too!
105753, RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts
Posted by 740 turbo brick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Wow the white LEDs on the cluster look bad ass. It makes it go from that yellow/orange 90s look to a fresh off the showroom floor cars cluster. Wish I had the time/knowledge to do that.
105755, RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts
Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
Wow the white LEDs on the cluster look bad ass. It makes it go from that yellow/orange 90s look to a fresh off the showroom floor cars cluster. Wish I had the time/knowledge to do that.

yeah I hated that orange crap.
105754, RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts
Originally posted by Gruff511
Niiiiice!! I did this same on my gauge cluster. A LOT brighter too!

How'd you do yours? Any pics?
105756, RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts
I followed this thread. Did basically the same thing as you.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-exterior-interior/274519-how-light-gauge-cluster-leds.html
105757, RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts
Originally posted by Gruff511
I followed this thread. Did basically the same thing as you. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-exterior-interior/274519-how-light-gauge-cluster-leds.html

Nice. Yep I used that one too. By chance how did you end up doing your needle rings?
105758, RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts
Those were the hardest part lol I just soldered a small piece of wire between the smd leds
105759, RE: Talon LED conversion... and maybe v2 thoughts
Posted by Fotowntalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Looks good. Well done sir!
I generated this page in 0.0086469650268555 seconds, executing 7 queries.