Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectdoor hinge problem
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=104779
104779, door hinge problem
Posted by gisclair, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My drivers front door hinge is breaking where the two lower bolts attach to the car. Not the bolts itself but the actual door frame where the hing bolts up is cracking and my door has a sag when open and hits when closing. i know the doors on our cars are heavy. Does anyone else have this problem? I know I will have to get it welded by a body shop. Just curious how many of us have this problem.
104780, RE: door hinge problem
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I cant picture exactly what you are talking about.

If you are talking about the frame of the car, then yes it needs to be repaired by a body shop. But that part of the hinge has three bolts and you mentioned 2, so I will assume you mean the actually door is cracked? Still a body shop.

Now if its the hinges that are cracking, then you get new ones from Mitsu for 25-30 a piece or off a known good parts car.

Send a PM to stangmurdera, he owns Miller Import Parts.
104783, RE: door hinge problem
Posted by 740 turbo brick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by gisclair
My drivers front door hinge is breaking where the two lower bolts attach to the car. Not the bolts itself but the actual door frame where the hing bolts up is cracking and my door has a sag when open and hits when closing. i know the doors on our cars are heavy. Does anyone else have this problem? I know I will have to get it welded by a body shop. Just curious how many of us have this problem.

Whats funny is, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about and actually had the same problem on my car. The metal on the body around the hinge was cracking and pulling away from the body, causing the door to fall down and hit the side when closing. I chose to fix mine myself, you can do this also, or get someone who knows how to weld.

Take the door off. Its heavy as shit, have someone hold it while you unbolt it. After you get it unbolted, quickly unhook the wiring harness and set the door aside. Where the hinge was, you will have to set the metal back to where it should be if it pulled out away from the body. From there, I just welded, grinded, and painted, my door has never shut so good before.
104784, RE: door hinge problem
Posted by gisclair, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yea that's exactly what it is. I don't know why the hell our doors are so heavy. I'll prob get a quote from the body shop that painted my car so they can color match. Hope they don't charge to much. If so I'll just do it myself. It will be nice not to lift up on the door panel as I'm closing my door.
104786, RE: door hinge problem
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The doors are that heavy for a few reasons.

First is the physical size. Since the car is a coupe that doesn't have rear doors, they are longer than average doors and have longer glass and longer window regulators.

Second is for safety reasons. There's a big bar running down the middle of the door that is there to prevent the door from caving in on you the moment some dumb soccer mom decides to forget that she's driving with other traffic.
I generated this page in 0.011224031448364 seconds, executing 7 queries.